• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Face palm dealer 10hr service

Badger309

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
:banghead:And this is why you learn to do things yourself.
Literally just left the dealership. Picking up stuff to do the 10hr service this weekend.
Asked the guy at the counter for the yamalube marine grease for the bearing housing for the 10hr service.
He proceeds to tell me all that all you do for the 10hr is change the oil. So I argue a bit. He tells me that he has been a tech there for 8 years and they have never been required to grease anything on the 10hr all they do is change the oil.

Then hands me a squeeze tube of marine grease. I tell him I need a tube for a grease gun because its a zerk fitting and he argued again that there is no zerk fitting for service. I show him the service manual for the 10hr and he tells me that they have never done any of that and its not required.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My dealer and another one in the area dont grease at the 10hr. Either. Publications from yamaha indicate no grease and some say grease. I did not grease at 10 hr.

Badger309

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My dealer and another one in the area dont grease at the 10hr. Either. Publications from yamaha indicate no grease and some say grease. I did not grease at 10 hr.
Service manual literally says to grease and how much to grease.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your call, as i said some do and some dont. You need to do what you feel is best.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you decide to grease (I did) at the 10 hr, make very sure you do not go beyond the recommended amount. Many stories on this forum of too much grease blowing out the seal and creating a leak.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In both the 2019 SX190 Owner's/Operators Manual and the Service Manual (Intermediate Housing: Lubricate: 100 hours or 12 months). It is not indicated for the 10 hour service in the table. Now I did throw some in because I used my 10 hour (14 hour) as my yearly the last year.

Badger309

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you decide to grease (I did) at the 10 hr, make very sure you do not go beyond the recommended amount. Many stories on this forum of too much grease blowing out the seal and creating a leak.
Ya done some reading. There are so many different opinions on it. Ill throw a little bit in there and call it good

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I measured how much my grease gun pushed out per pump, and subtracted a tiny bit (5%) for error and called that good. Now at the annual service I do like 2 pumps per bearing and call it a day.

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just went through the manual for our 2020 212s.
The 10 hour service does not have anything about the intermediate housing. Only at 100 hours , and/or 12 months. I found it interesting that the dealer we purchased it from said not to bother with the 10 hour oil change, and wait till 20. The've been selling Yamaha for forever and are highly rated so I don't doubt they know what they are talking about.
Probably do the oil change at 10 hours myself, but it would probably be fine either way.
Still debating on whether to do anything about greasing the bearing housing or not... Used to do it in our jetski every year...

CORRECTION: It wasn't listed in the maintenance section, but in the "Care" section..
33 -35 cc after 10 hours or 1 month.
Guess I will do it...

Last edited:

Badger309

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So for an update yamaha actually made it convenient to grease on the 2020. Ran a grease line with zerc mounted at the top of the engine.

Attachments

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
:banghead:And this is why you learn to do things yourself.
Literally just left the dealership. Picking up stuff to do the 10hr service this weekend.
Asked the guy at the counter for the yamalube marine grease for the bearing housing for the 10hr service.
He proceeds to tell me all that all you do for the 10hr is change the oil. So I argue a bit. He tells me that he has been a tech there for 8 years and they have never been required to grease anything on the 10hr all they do is change the oil.

Then hands me a squeeze tube of marine grease. I tell him I need a tube for a grease gun because its a zerk fitting and he argued again that there is no zerk fitting for service. I show him the service manual for the 10hr and he tells me that they have never done any of that and its not required.
@Badger309 .....thank God for your boat that you know the proper procedures. Have heard the same comment a number of times. YES you do grease at 10 hours. This has NOTHING to do with the bearing but lubricates the seals in the bearing gear case. which prevents costly water intrusion. Some techs say don't bother with the oil filter at the 10 hour. What twang doesn't change the oil filter with the oil? This was discussed earlier today on another post. It is scary how many technicians are clueless regarding maintenance. I 100% believe it is up to me to prepare for any service. I have for 30 years presented a checklist to whatever dealership I had purchased from that the technician must check-off EVERY item then sign the bottom of the page. I observe all service. I also tip the tech at the end and no one has ever complained about that LOL. Every dealership I have bought a boat from knows I observe while the service is being done. My purchase, my boat, my $$$ for service - my rules. Got a call from a dealer the other day regarding a Mercury Axius ($20,000.00 guidance system) asking me a technical calibration question. GEEZ I now longer have cruisers with Axius GPS guidance! :) Know your boat and insist it be treated properly - educate if necessary.