• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fence Gate Reinforcement

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Hey guys, when I bought my boat I quickly turned two of my 8 foot fence panels into gates, for a nice 16 foot opening. However, time as passed and it is time to finish these properly.

I want to create a metal frame foe each gate and then I will mount a wheel to that frame. My question is, would aluminum be strong enough for this, or should I get steel tubes? This is a vinyl fence. Also if going with steel - where do you even get something like that? I have a local aluminum place that I could use if I went that route.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys, when I bought my boat I quickly turned two of my 8 foot fence panels into gates, for a nice 16 foot opening. However, time as passed and it is time to finish these properly.

I want to create a metal frame foe each gate and then I will mount a wheel to that frame. My question is, would aluminum be strong enough for this, or should I get steel tubes? This is a vinyl fence. Also if going with steel - where do you even get something like that? I have a local aluminum place that I could use if I went that route.
Aluminum would be fine, just make a x brace for the doors and you could reinforce it with cables. At my shop, the city made us enclose our 2 big dumpster bins with block and we installed a double gate out of aluminum, half of our company is in the aluminum business. This holds up to the abuse that the dump truck driver gives it weekly and we did not even install a wheel on the bottom.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I found a 96" wide gate kit from Home Depot. Figured the kit is easier than trying to piece everything together so ordered two. It wont come for two weeks, but I can at least return it locally if it sucks lol.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Well finally got around to getting this done... minus one hiccup. The gate kit seems to work well.... but you need a solid post to put it on. I ended up putting in 6x6x12' posts 4 feet deep in the ground. The gate is heavy as shit and does not sag at all. I will post pictures once I fix my one mistake.