• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Final figures for my 2014 season

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sad. It's over. Boat is tucked away for the winter. Just as sad was the lowest hours per season thus far.

year 2014
228.703 gallons burned
$ 796.12 cost of gasoline
45.0 hours put on the engines
averaged 5.72 gallons burned per hour
$ 3.48 average cost per gallon
$ 19.90 average per hour cost of fuel

What I would like to know is what is the real fuel burn (on average) for the 1.8 liter motors? Are they a lot thirstier that the MR-1s?

I believe they do burn a bit more fuel but they are great engines.

What I would like to know is what is the real fuel burn (on average) for the 1.8 liter motors? Are they a lot thirstier that the MR-1s?

On the Bimini trip the 242s burned about the same or a little less fuel that my MR1 powered 230.

I "feel" like my 242 burns a lot more (e.g. 50% more) fuel than he sx230 I had did. It seemed like I could boat 2 to 3 Saturdays on one tank of fuel in the 230, with the 242 I have been filling up /topping of after every outing.

I am finding that my 240 burns roughly the same as my 230 as well. I know it is more, but I can go several trips without fueling and the gathering trips where I cruise the most is very similar to previous outings that I cruised in the 230 as well. But those are just wags, and not good numbers like @buckbuck ! It is hard to gauge if you don't keep an accurate log, but it is the second cheapest boat to operate I have ever had! Even my bass boat burned more. But then again, I never went anywhere in the bass boat that I wasn't WOT...unless I was off the engine and on the trolling motor!

As of the end of Sept I have burned 1532 gallons of gas, It averages out to 5 gal every hour of run time .

My new SX240 (put in the water about May 1st)

121.3 gallons burned
534.3 miles of boating
$485.20 total fuel cost
67 hours on engines
1.81 average fuel usage in gallons per hour
$4 fuel cost per gallon
$7.24 average per hour fuel cost
7.97 average speed.

AND

I've got (I estimate) two and a half months of 2014 left.

St Pete Beach gets 12 months a year of terrific boating. I hit Tierra Verde, shell island and the new sand bar by Bunces pass.

Any time you go under the old 10cent bridge look for the white van with the ski trailer parked close to the road. Stop by and say hello look for the 62 year old with all the hair , that still looks 40 or there about LOL.

the old drawbridge by the marina.

Maybe I should keep better records next year

Lol
Maybe i should use the boat more next year.
I am sure a lot of bucks numbers ($20 an hour in fuel) are due to tow sports. Comparing the sx240 isn't fair (holy cow only $7 in comparison! ) because no tower and no ballast killing the hpg.
I should do a full speed run and run numbera on that once, but i would rather not know what i spend.

Jimonthebeach,
Interesting, does the boat display that information for you?

Jimonthebeach,
Interesting, does the boat display that information for you?

Mine does. . . (well everything except the monetary calculations. . . .)

Does it divide it up per engine or give the combined. For instance is it 1.81 gph per engine or for both?

Yep, like 06 said. I think fuel was a bit higher in spring, may 4.29 and it just went down to 4 last week.

And I don't tow, and we spend a lot of our time at 5 knots or so cruising backyards.

Per engine except that the miles travelled is probably a single data source. And CRAP, that just made me realized that the fuel used is PROBABLE per engine so might want to double that!!

Possible revision:

242.6 gallons burned
$970.40 total fuel cost
67 hours on engines
3.620896 average fuel usage per hour
$4 fuel cost per gallon
$14.48 average per hour fuel cost

I remember thinking there was a slight diff between port and starboard engine data for fuel but at the time I was thinking it was being read by a fuel gage sensor.

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR WORK.

It's a good thing I'm retired.

Last edited:
Info is separate for each engine.

Back