• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Finally Did My Keelguard

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
20140412_194036.jpg

That looks really nice! How tough was it to do, and any tips or tricks?

Looks great @Zarrella !!

Keel guard is a piece of cake. Don't over analyze it just jump in there and do it but remember to read the instructions.

Can it be installed over a few dings and scrapes

It can but make sure there is no fiberglass showing. I repaired my area that had all of my gelcoat gone and then installed over that.

Just like jcyamaharider said....it was easy to do just don't over think it. And yes it does a good job of hiding dings and scrapes. The prep in the instructions is crucial to getting good adherence.

Anyone ever try this WITHOUT first sanding the area? If so how did make out ?
You do not really sand it. You just take the glaze off with the scuff pad provided with the kit. For what little effort that takes to scuff it up I could not imagine not wanting to do it.

Looks good. This is the next thing I need to do on my boat.

Thanks for the info, I've had the kit now for two years but have been hesitant to install.

QUOTE="jcyamaharider, post: 18451, member: 44"]Looks great @Zarrella !!

Keel guard is a piece of cake. Don't over analyze it just jump in there and do it but remember to read the instructions.[/QUOTE]

I think that is my problem with my boat. I over analyze and over think everything that's why I hesitate on doing projects

I probably over analyzed it and it took me 4-5 hours to install. I taped off the areas around it, and made sure I could use the tape edges as a guide to keep me centered on the boat. Worked fine....but probably could just have easily eyeballed it!

I cheated....my wife kept it centered. Hell....she keeps me centered.

I am an engineer so over-analyzing is the norm for me. Took me about the same time as @Julian. I've got the Don'tWannaScrewItUp angel on the left shoulder and the GitRDone angel on right and the left side seems to win most of the time.

I used the kitchen green scrub pad to rough up the surface, had a couple beers. Then cleaned with acetone and applied about 30-40 minutes total.

Decided to put mine on too this year. Been in the closet awhile, but all of the low lake levels has me concerned. Better safe than sorry... Third one I have put on and they are still no fun, but a creeper makes a world of difference. Didn't have it when I put on my dads, ouch...
image.jpg

Last edited:
:thumbsup:

Anyone ever try this WITHOUT first sanding the area? If so how did make out ?
You need to rough it up or it WILL come loose very soon. I've seen it happen.

Lately I've seen quite a few Keelgaurds losing adhesion between the rubber guard and the adhesive layer in spots. The manufacturer will send you a new one if this happens but it's a lot of work to remove an installed guard.

Back