• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fins or lateral thrusters?

Pick one

• Fins

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Thrusters

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Nothing / other

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With 2 big sales going on I'm on the fence deciding what will work best for me. I'd say that reverse control is more important than forward control. I've got 1000s of hours riding jetskis and understand that generous throttle application is necessary for proper control at low speeds. The twin engine makes this even more responsive. Reverse response sucks.
I like the cobra fins better than the vectors, but I'm thinking the lateral thrusters might help me out more. Help me decide before the sales run out! My boat is the 04 version without any fancy controls like no wake mode.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
With 2 big sales going on I'm on the fence deciding what will work best for me. I'd say that reverse control is more important than forward control. I've got 1000s of hours riding jetskis and understand that generous throttle application is necessary for proper control at low speeds. The twin engine makes this even more responsive. Reverse response sucks.
I like the cobra fins better than the vectors, but I'm thinking the lateral thrusters might help me out more. Help me decide before the sales run out! My boat is the 04 version without any fancy controls like no wake mode.
Sounds like you answered your own question already. If reverse control is more important the LTs is the way to go. I love the LTs and personally would put them on any jet boat as a first mod along with the cobra AK fins, but for me I think I'd do the cobra fins first if I had to choose only one or the other. I did the JBP LTs and cobra AK fins all at the same time though so don't have experience with only one or the other.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the newly released Yamaha lateral thrust enhancer reverse gate possibly a third choice?

Price-wise it may be too expensive (IDK), also may need new buckets (?) and it is an unknown as far as how good it is in the water...
But - I'm just wondering what are your thoughts on that?

--

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Is the newly released Yamaha lateral thrust enhancer reverse gate possibly a third choice?

Price-wise it may be too expensive (IDK), also may need new buckets (?) and it is an unknown as far as how good it is in the water...

--
I think from todays stock reverse control that the new nozzles will be an improvement. However my concern in comparing them to the LTs is how drastic the lateral thrust is. Its hard to tell by the pictures if 50% of the thrust will actually go laterally (90 degrees) when at full turn or if it is more like a 45 degree to the side and also more down type thrust vector. I think the LTs really shine because of the drastic 90 degree and level thrust vector they provide and then you can temper that by applying back thrust on the non-LT engaged throttle or turning the engaged jet away from the LT a bit as you desire.
So IMO they look like they will definitely be a improvement from todays stock nozzle but I personally don't see how they can be as versatile and effective as the LTs are. Kind of like a weaker LT effect. But that is all just a gut feeling from a single picture so really I'm just talking out of my ass and it remains to be seen. :)

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can you add “both” to the survey? While you are down there mucking with the same business end of the boat I’d do both fins and LT. I’ve been getting my wife and kids to take the helm and in an extreme storm related case my prop-skilled neighbor (while I was away on vacation). The fins may not help an experienced jet guy such as yourself, but the combo is valuable for other drivers of your boat. I am cheap, so spending someone else’s money comes easy to me.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When we bought our 07 AR230 HO 3 summers ago, she came with an "original" set of Cobra Ultimates. These were great for forward steering control. However they did not do anything for reverse control. This spring I modded (drilled) a bracket and added Mega Fangs. They do make a big difference in reverse control and I have gone back to backing the boat into the slip without any of those "Oh $hit" moments. Others can shed light on the LT's.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

--
Got any info on that? Sounds maybe like the waverunner bucket on my fx140.
20180624_102845.jpg

I really don't want to spend a bunch of money on this boat to buy both. I'd rather spend it on a superjet. I'm considering waiting until next year, but both sales are a pretty good deal. Fins and fangs, or lts? I'm not doing both right now, maybe even nothing until next season.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don’t spend a lot of time in reverse so I will stick with the first gen fangs for that, if I need more reverse control I could move up to the mega fangs. Forward control is more important too me, I went and stayed with the cobras because They give me the option, which I excercise regularly, to keep the fins down at speed, so the cobras are useful both at no wake and at cruising speeds whereas the thrust vectors are only deployed at no wake speeds.

I’m still toying with the idea of buying lateral thrusters to add to my current cobra fin and fang set up but even on sale they are not cheap so it’s hard for me to justify the spend especially when, as I stated first, I don’t spend a lot of time in reverse.

Last edited:

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got a bunch more hours on the boat and decided on the fins. I had a skier pulling me all over. It would get swirly coming into a channel off the 3mph current.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got to drive an sx230 for about an hour that had the jbp fins (big ones). I could hardly notice a difference. Maybe a tiny bit more control while coasting in neutral, but it was hard to tell. It's still swirly, and i still drove it like a jet ski with substantial throttle bursts for control. The captain was concerned about breaking off the fins when backing up to the beach, and when we anchored in shallow water and they were hitting. I'm not sure I'll be buying anything at all.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got to drive an sx230 for about an hour that had the jbp fins (big ones). I could hardly notice a difference. Maybe a tiny bit more control while coasting in neutral, but it was hard to tell. It's still swirly, and i still drove it like a jet ski with substantial throttle bursts for control. The captain was concerned about breaking off the fins when backing up to the beach, and when we anchored in shallow water and they were hitting. I'm not sure I'll be buying anything at all.
TVs are up on plane... Not in the water.
What exactly were you testing?
(sorry, I'm confused)

--

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It pulls when a rider cuts just like mine. The cj fins probably help that. When picking up riders, no wake driving, docking, pulling in the trailer, i couldn't tell much difference from my boat with no fins.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok since there is so much confusing info out there let me assure you if you add the ultimate steering I sell, and you can check with a member here Trevor Shipman, he has a very similar boat as you and has had 3 different styles of fins he absolutely loves the Ultimate system, spring loaded more influence with less fin below the hull, adjustable selectable and capable of being upgraded with the mega fang plus if you choose or the lateral thrusters from Will and I have a real 30 day money back guarantee, simply put if you try these and you do not love them you can return them for a refund all you are responsible for is the return shipping. I have been receiving some concerning information about some people being charged as much as 30 percent for restocking fees if they return other systems just for not having the original box I certainly hope this sort of thing is not true but if so you can be sure of a full refund once the parts are returned to me if you do not like the system. This is my most popular steering system for that style boat and the sale is still in play but not for much longer. Hopefully some of the people with this system will chime in to answer any questions you may have. I have been doing steering a long time.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Especially if you do water sports my system handles all that and more just ask people.
Hell even with small fins in the water at speed I can snap 2 tubes with 5 people in them while driving with my feet lying on my back on a jet ski.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like our Cobras on our AR190. My wife is able to drive the boat without it fishtailing back and forth. My FIL who never drove a boat found it easy to navigate around the canals in Cape Coral (Some wide, Some Narrow). I also notice that my children have an easier time steering the boat which gives them confidence while they grow and learn to drive.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can attest. Customer service spot on, 30 day money back zero questions. You have nothing to lose by trying them. I’m glad I did.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They are for different things. I have to tell you Lateral Thrusters behave as advertised...increasing your lateral control while in reverse. That's all they are advertised to do.

They allow you to push your stern sideways if you reverse on a single engine, and add significant lateral movement to your reverse when you want it. I came from a Seadoo 1800 that I could maneuver very very well...like, impressively well. The SX230 is so tall I get caught by the wind sometimes still...but Cobras+LTE have returned some confidence to me (Added cobras some time ago, LTEs just now with the group buy). Now I feel very confident in close quarters...I can make the boat do exactly what I want. Even push off the stern. With the group buy the price was much more attractive to me, and the product fully lived to my expectations. Finally reverse works assertively.

For Fins, it seems to be about what you want...slow speed only, or always in the water, and Aluminum vs Composite at a different price point. There are satisfied users on both camps.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It really comes down to what you want from your boat there are so many reports on this site alone from people who have used other steering and were not satisfied with the results I just had 2 phone calls from a Homestead Florida resident with a 2018 212 with the plastic fins he said he tried to return them a month after purchasing them but he was refused.
Now this was a phone conversation so believe it or don't but the info was passed between us because he needs to replace the small stainless fittings removed from the reverse hoods from the thrust vectors were installed so I had to ask what system he had and what he needed. He purchased the Magnum A K system.
I just finished the packaging and shipping label. So I can get it out with my morning shipping.
Now think about this, I answered the phone while watching TV. I answered his questions and gave him information to decide what system he needed to install based on what he was doing with the boat and what he felt he needed to improve the handling at all speeds. I handled the order, packaged it and will be the one shipping it out and sending him the info when it ships. I do it myself because it is my baby. I invented the steering systems, I designed the systems and I do not have any additional names on my patents or patent applications, people in the business of patenting things understand the importance of that statement so I take this very seriously. Ultimate steering, ultimate AK steering, magnum steering, magnum A K steering, Viper steering, viper nk and nk2 steering , ak fangs and mega fang plus. This is what I do.
A word of advice . Please review all vendors return policies if they are not in writing they do not exist ! Not to be confused with money back guarantees get those in writing or they do not exist either. same for warranties.
Do not take peoples word for anything and if you feel that you were not treated fairly by a vendor and you paid with a credit card file a complaint with your credit card company let them decide if you should get a refund and if they side with you they can make it easy for you and please let others know if you feel you were not treated fairly or feel you were deceived by a vendor.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They are for different things. I have to tell you Lateral Thrusters behave as advertised...increasing your lateral control while in reverse. That's all they are advertised to do.

They allow you to push your stern sideways if you reverse on a single engine, and add significant lateral movement to your reverse when you want it. I came from a Seadoo 1800 that I could maneuver very very well...like, impressively well. The SX230 is so tall I get caught by the wind sometimes still...but Cobras+LTE have returned some confidence to me (Added cobras some time ago, LTEs just now with the group buy). Now I feel very confident in close quarters...I can make the boat do exactly what I want. Even push off the stern. With the group buy the price was much more attractive to me, and the product fully lived to my expectations. Finally reverse works assertively.

For Fins, it seems to be about what you want...slow speed only, or always in the water, and Aluminum vs Composite at a different price point. There are satisfied users on both camps.
Wait...what??? When was the LTE group buy?