• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Day Wakesurfing...AR190

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our first day out... New boats, new season, new sport. With @AJACHIM!
Alex and I have read probably every possible thread and post this winter to get prepared for wake surfing behind our AR190's, so many thanks to all those who contributed thoughts and expertise!
Tuesday was a beauty of a day on Lake Lanier GA. the water temp was...refreshing with the almost 90 degree air temps let's say.
I myself am a long time wakeboarder and tow driver. My recent hand surgeries still have me bummed that I couldn't get out and learn the surf board yet but it gave me a great opportunity to get very in-depth with learning the behavior of our boats. With Alex on the other hand, up on the very first try, I was super stoked on how he did being a very new wake boarder and this being his first day surfing!!!!
Simple setup: AR190, 800lb eight.3 Ronix bag on the lower deck filled to approx 600-650lb and 4 guys all around 180lb, starting w/ full tank of gas and a Hyperlite Landlock 5'9". Awating this weeks shipment of the JBP wake vector to top off the current setup.
Our set up changed a little thought the day but first thing I noticed we were lacking.... a supercharger lol. The 190 really needs the extra oomph of the 195 engine... it was capable yes, but it took some real finesse on the throttle. Half way through the day we were minus one passenger and about half tank of fuel and thats when the wake blossomed! One on the board me at the helm and one in the pinnacle of the bow and that really gave benefit to stretching out the length of the wake and still keeping its height. It also gave the motor a little more wiggle room to work with.
One of the guys with us, a long time friend of mine, just so happens to be a watersports instructor on a plethora of different arenas. His big one.. kite foiling! So he brought a few of his toys with him (this is when the hand surgeries really had me bummed)! Surf foiling required way less work for me and the boat. @J-RAD , watching my buddy foil made my lack of ability to join the group buy this season hurt that much more! That will be next seasons goal for me however!
Overall it was a great day and we look forward to many more. Still to come is the anticipated JBP wake vector. I'll experiment at that point more before I move to the thought of adding a 200lb bow bag.
Thanks again to everybody all the wake surf chatter... it helped Alex and I out tremendously!
Y'all stay safe out there this Memorial Day, this Naut-Nurse will be stuck working in the hospital... and I don't particularly want anybody to make an unscheduled trip in for me to take care of!

P.S. I could not get a .mov clip to upload... if anybody could help a MAC user out!

Attachments

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a great time was had by all.

As a fellow AR190 owner, I'm curious about your lack of power comment. Was it a lack of power, or a lack of "traction"? I had some significant cavitation problems in my boat when it was factory stock. The L13 Cone and a pump seal took care of that, and while it doesn't feel any more powerful, it has zero issue planing, even with significant load on/in it. Not sure that the ribbon delete did anything for me in terms of power, but I did it anyway. Might be worth the 30min to try it on yours! It's free, just takes some time.

Those pictures also make me feel very sad I missed out on @J-RAD 's group foil buy this year. I'm already saving my pennies for next year!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
P.S. I could not get a .mov clip to upload... if anybody could help a MAC user out!
Videos have to go to YouTube first, then link them here. It's a little frustrating. :)

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like an awesome day! I need me some play time. I got a TON of cool suff to try out. The forecast is looking like we might actually break this rainy trend that everyone's been complaining about... I feel like I live in Portland not Utah.

@Nauti-Nurse & @2kwik4u you know I'll hook you guys up any time you're ready. This year, next year, whenever. I'm still able to offer everyone a great deal on the foils. Just hit me up.

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a great time was had by all.

As a fellow AR190 owner, I'm curious about your lack of power comment. Was it a lack of power, or a lack of "traction"? I had some significant cavitation problems in my boat when it was factory stock. The L13 Cone and a pump seal took care of that, and while it doesn't feel any more powerful, it has zero issue planing, even with significant load on/in it. Not sure that the ribbon delete did anything for me in terms of power, but I did it anyway. Might be worth the 30min to try it on yours! It's free, just takes some time.

Those pictures also make me feel very sad I missed out on @J-RAD 's group foil buy this year. I'm already saving my pennies for next year!
Definitely a combination of the two. Found that rolling onto the power slower and not taking it wide open helped the cavitation/traction. But slow roll on will be hard to teach my kids with. Best wake was just before planing out... and that required full throttle to maintain and it would hold for a bit and then go onto plane requiring me to back off... it was kinda back and forth. I can definitely see where the cone and pump seal would help, but i also see the value in the supercharged motor. So I'll be looking into your suggestions soon because the N/A motor had more pros in the decision when buying so i need to make it work.
Can you point me in the direction where you got your cone and pump seal kit?

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Definitely a combination of the two. Found that rolling onto the power slower and not taking it wide open helped the cavitation/traction. But slow roll on will be hard to teach my kids with. Best wake was just before planing out... and that required full throttle to maintain and it would hold for a bit and then go onto plane requiring me to back off... it was kinda back and forth. I can definitely see where the cone and pump seal would help, but i also see the value in the supercharged motor. So I'll be looking into your suggestions soon because the N/A motor had more pros in the decision when buying so i need to make it work.
Can you point me in the direction where you got your cone and pump seal kit?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @DavisAR195 and @2kwik4u, L13 cone located. Where can I find a pump seal kit?
Not really a kit asuch as a process. I'll see if I can dig up some threads on it when I get back to a PC. I did mine with a $12 tube of Loctite Sealant and about an hour's worth of time.

@swatski has some good threads somewhere on it.

Worxman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2107 AR190 and received one of the first Thrust Vector Wake units from JBP. Wait to install it until Will has it configured for our boats. It causes stiff steering and won't clean up the wake properly. He did all of his testing and set up on his AR195...there are big differences between the two boats, specifically the ride plate height relative to the fin pivot points. Will, with JBP, has been awesome in responding and helping figure out what was wrong and I have spent 8-10 hours trying to modify it and adjusting it. I have a modified plate coming from him tomorrow which will hopefully fix the issue.

I'm going to order the L13 cone and do the sealing because I do have cavitation and slippage in the holes shot and on turns. Had a 2004 LX210 prior to this boat, twin engine 2-stroke 270HP, so the difference is big time noticeable to me...but so is the amount of $$$ that remain in pocket due to the fuel sipping AR190! Plus the layout is so much better.

I've played around with the ballast and bags to get a decent wave. You definitely need ballast, but I got tired of fighting the big water bags and have ordered the JBP steel shot ballast. We have a small place on Lake Keowee in SC (even thought we live 5 minutes from Lanier...not sure how you survive on Lanier with a 19 footer!) and we have a dock, so that makes the shot ballast easier to deal with.

Also, installed the Hydrophase Ridesteady and it saved my marriage and kept my kids from calling someone else Dad...it really makes a difference when wake boarding and skiing...should do wonders for surfing when I get it surf-able. The install was super easy, took me about 2 hours...could do it again in 45 minutes.

I'll report back once I get the new parts on and get to the lake this weekend to test the Thrust Vector Wake.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Worxman be very cautious with the Lucky 13 and the TVW. The Lucky 13 will greatly increase you jet thrust especially with a 155mm pump and can damage the TVW. I speak from experience as I have a 2017 AR195 with Lucky 13 cone and the first round of TVW.

Worxman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Makes sense. Well, that sucks. Guess I'll try to fly without the L13 then.

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Worxman what type of plate are you waiting on from Will? It's hard to keep looking at these awesome red fins sitting on the dining room table and not installing them yet!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Worxman be very cautious with the Lucky 13 and the TVW. The Lucky 13 will greatly increase you jet thrust especially with a 155mm pump and can damage the TVW. I speak from experience as I have a 2017 AR195 with Lucky 13 cone and the first round of TVW.
“damage the TVW” - what happened? Would there also be an issue with twins?

I can see the higher volume of water making a potential difference in steering.

Worxman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Modified jet wash plate from Will.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
“damage the TVW” - what happened? Would there also be an issue with twins?

I can see the higher volume of water making a potential difference in steering.
The increased jet thrust caused the bolts to bend, as a result of the bolts bending my reverse gate began to bind against the springs on the side.

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yikes... Lucky13 cone was next on my list, do you think its going to come down to choosing the TVW OR L13 Cone and not run both???

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
yikes... Lucky13 cone was next on my list, do you think its going to come down to choosing the TVW OR L13 Cone and not run both???
For me that was the choice and I decided to go with the Lucky 13 and the CJS Viper steering system. However I can only speak for my set up as I have 2017 AR195, I'm not sure how it will effect the 190's and the new changes that Will's making. Running the Lucky 13 is more a safety item for me, as it easily allows me to get up on plan and retrieve a down rider while loaded down with ballast.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The increased jet thrust caused the bolts to bend, as a result of the bolts bending my reverse gate began to bind against the springs on the side.
@JetBoatPilot Any idea if other customers are running these cones? Or, do you have any interest in trying on your test boat? Not discounting @DavisAR195 ’s experience, but totally amazed that any amount of difference in water column/pressure would be enough to bend bolts. Especially when the fins are largely out of the water and the main function is deflection and not straight out trying to interrupt the flow.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 I spoke with Will a few days ago after informing him of my situation and it appears I'm the anomaly. However I'm also currently the only one that he and I were aware of with this particular setup.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hmm, I’m still diagnosing things but was noticing some cavitation on my boat the other day. Especially when pulling the tube and making sharp turns, etc. And when heavily loaded w ballast. I was thinking I might consider L13 cones for next year, if I can’t get things sorted out to my satisfaction.