• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First day with 2021 195s

sabri

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Guys!

Sabri is here from Miami, FL.

We just moved here a month ago, and having a boat was on my to do list near future. However, with the fact of being aware of boat shortage, I was able to find a 2021 195s in stock near by. I pulled the trigger right away and bought it even before I had a space at a marina. Long story short I cried so hard for a space on the phone with the marina employee, and they were able to get me a space :))

We went on a first run with my cousin who got his boat recently and doesn’t have a crazy amount of experience either

From the first run

Pros:
-Incredible sound system
-Amazing layout, +removable table
-The water was a little rough but handled like a champ.
-Powerful engine
-Tons of storage
-I love the gray/cherry exterior color

Cons
-Biggest issue that I was aware of before buying, controlling the boat at slow speed. It was a nightmare to dock at the marina.
-I still couldn’t figure out the comfortable position of the seat. Regardless up or down position. I’m 5 7
-Engine is loud.
-Throttle control feels super cheap. The release button is not trustworth especially when you are a newbie.
-The storage behind the steering is scary. All the cables and electronics are out there without a cover. It can be damaged easily with flying stuffs in a rough water.
- I would expect a second battery on a highest trim but I knew there wasn’t when I bought it.

I found an experienced person who I will go to a run with in couple days. Hoping he’ll be able to help me a little.

As I mentioned these are pros/cons from a newbie. It may not be accurate for an experienced person. Please let me know If there is anything I can improve those cons or you have a trick.

Thanks!

Attachments

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Welcome aboard!

That all sounds about right! Get some CobraJet fins, they make a world of difference at low speeds! I wouldn't have that boat without them. When it comes to docking, just go super slow. I hardly use any throttle when docking. Just click the throttle control back and forth from forward to reverse in the first detent. It propels you at just the right speed. Rule one is only go as fast as you are prepared to hit the dock! At $40K I'm not willing to hit it at all! You'll get the hang of it with fins after about the 3rd or 4th try. Make sure you get some good quality big fenders with some covers on them if you plan on leaving it in the water. They will rub on the gelcoat otherwise.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@sabri When I come in to dock I go intentionally slow and don't stress it. I usually give it an engine bump and let inertia bring us in close. Almost get bored it is so slow, but it helps with misses and turning around and holding up the ramp to much. I practiced out in a calm for a while. I threw a large fender in the water and practiced coming up along side it just enough to kiss it and pick it up without running over it. Probably did this for 30-60 minutes and had the admiral do it a bit as well in case she needed to bring the boat in. Helped a lot. Also work on reverse a bit since it is in opposite direction, it will help you swing the nose of the boat in and out.

I have CobraJet fins on and they work great. Highly recommend them.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
3rd for Cobra Jet fins - and then get out there and work that throttle!

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey Guys!

Sabri is here from Miami, FL.

We just moved here a month ago, and having a boat was on my to do list near future. However, with the fact of being aware of boat shortage, I was able to find a 2021 195s in stock near by. I pulled the trigger right away and bought it even before I had a space at a marina. Long story short I cried so hard for a space on the phone with the marina employee, and they were able to get me a space :))

We went on a first run with my cousin who got his boat recently and doesn’t have a crazy amount of experience either

From the first run

Pros:
-Incredible sound system
-Amazing layout, +removable table
-The water was a little rough but handled like a champ.
-Powerful engine
-Tons of storage
-I love the gray/cherry exterior color

Cons
-Biggest issue that I was aware of before buying, controlling the boat at slow speed. It was a nightmare to dock at the marina.
-I still couldn’t figure out the comfortable position of the seat. Regardless up or down position. I’m 5 7
-Engine is loud.
-Throttle control feels super cheap. The release button is not trustworth especially when you are a newbie.
-The storage behind the steering is scary. All the cables and electronics are out there without a cover. It can be damaged easily with flying stuffs in a rough water.
- I would expect a second battery on a highest trim but I knew there wasn’t when I bought it.

I found an experienced person who I will go to a run with in couple days. Hoping he’ll be able to help me a little.

As I mentioned these are pros/cons from a newbie. It may not be accurate for an experienced person. Please let me know If there is anything I can improve those cons or you have a trick.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome
Nice to meet another Miami boater.

Which Marina are you at? I trailer from my house to Pelican on 79th.

It takes a getting used to driving a jet boat let alone throttle for a SC engine.
X4 of Cobra. Have mine sitting on table to install.

LMK if you ever want to meet up. I did a 60 mile run around Miami last week or if other person can't.
Love to take a ride in 195.

Attachments

mike220022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good looking boat

Bjames21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Greetings,

I have a 2021 AR190 and had the same experience with the steering. I could not keep the back end from washing out, so I ordered and installed the Cobra Jet fins and would never go back to boating without them.

I also agree on the throttle control feeling cheap. I feel like it is going to break anytime and I only have had the boat out 5 times.

All that aside, I love my boat and hope you will too. ENJOY!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
One thing that can help keep the boat under control as low speeds when docking or retrieving is to use No Wake Mode. You can use reward and reverse while its engaged and combined with some practice you will be a pro in no time. Next time you’re out toss a fender or two out in an open area (no ropes attached to fenders of course so you don’t suck them up) and practice pulling up to and navigating around the fenders. Pretend it’s a dock or boat you’re pulling up to. Before long you will be the hang of it.

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Congratulations and Welcome.
(get super Cobra deluxe ultimate)

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you all for your recommendations on the steering, It's what I do and have done for nearly 2 decades, making jet boats steer and drivers smile is what it's all about for me. On the new 19 foot boats the super Ultimate ak-19 deluxe is definitely the one to go with.
Slow speed assistance in forward and reverse, the super fins have a special design that adds extra fin surface in the water when the boat comes off plane so you have more influence for better steering and still have extra assistance at speed for rough conditions, wind, waves and for control when you rapidly decelerate to keep the hull going straight rather than going where ever it feels like going.
And the special side force stabilizer is also a plaining surface to get you on plane faster and to stabilize the hull in chop like a trim tab would push the nose down when a wave pushes it up and the stabilizer also blocks the water that is rushing up from the back of the boat below the pump to deflect it from contacting the jet stream exiting the nozzle thereby keeping it from being deflected up too much to help clean the wake for better water sports, see picture below. Note the jet stream is lower and straighter and not arched upward.
The high speed influence is adjustable to allow you to set the correct amount of high speed influence that suits your personal needs, and the system is carefully designed to provide steering without having huge fins hanging below the existing keel and rudder. And there are never any plastic parts , all that for the buy direct discount price of only $268.99 with free domestic priority mail included. And as always you can always email me directly or call me to place your order.

Attachments

sabri

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you everyone with the all suggestions.

I
Hi and welcome
Nice to meet another Miami boater.

Which Marina are you at? I trailer from my house to Pelican on 79th.

It takes a getting used to driving a jet boat let alone throttle for a SC engine.
X4 of Cobra. Have mine sitting on table to install.

LMK if you ever want to meet up. I did a 60 mile run around Miami last week or if other person can't.
Love to take a ride in 195.
I store at the north beach marina which is a mile from Pelican!

sabri

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing that can help keep the boat under control as low speeds when docking or retrieving is to use No Wake Mode. You can use reward and reverse while its engaged and combined with some practice you will be a pro in no time. Next time you’re out toss a fender or two out in an open area (no ropes attached to fenders of course so you don’t suck them up) and practice pulling up to and navigating around the fenders. Pretend it’s a dock or boat you’re pulling up to. Before long you will be the hang of it.
What does no wake mode do with controlling? How does it help?

poidog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Looks like you bought it from Riva in Pompano. That’s who my 252 is on order with... patiently waiting :banghead:

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What does no wake mode do with controlling? How does it help?
Once you click forward hit the No wake and it sets throttle for 5mph

Once you go ~9mph hit no wake again to sett cruise control.

What I learned to do was get on plane then hit No wake to set CC and then hit button up/down to change rpm by iirc 300rpms.
No need to mess with throttles after that especially when SC is finicky

Thank you everyone with the all suggestions.
I store at the north beach marina which is a mile from Pelican!
LMK I work on 74th and collins and drive by there 3x or 4x a week.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

sabri

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like you bought it from Riva in Pompano. That’s who my 252 is on order with... patiently waiting :banghead:
Everyone is backed up with the orders. I literally called every store in 250miles to ask what they have in stock. The first boat I found in stock, i bought it.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A bit late here, but welcome and congrats on the new boat!

As to the steering, in addition to what everyone said above, I found when I started out that I oversteered. A lot. You will quickly learn this (with or without fins), but it does take some getting used to. And what they said above is also right about adding thrust; that makes the boat more stable as you have more steering with more thrust.

Also, be sure to check out our FAQ (top bar). Lots of questions you will have are pre-answered there for your convenience. Everything from oil changes to where to get things.

Again, welcome!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
:Welcome:
Cons
-Engine is loud.
Ok that's not a con, coming from a sailboat to a powerboat is a pro!
😁
Seriously, you just need to get used to the sound - it's not really louder than my old boat, just higher pitched due to revving much higher. Also I've found my jetboat handles about the same as my old I/O prop drive, but without a gear to pop in/out of, I can maneuver and dock easier. Just practice and it'll get easier.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Gives you control. It’s a jet so no thrust = no steering.
With the Yamaha's since 2017 with the A/K rudder, that's not exactly true. I've tested it by cutting thrust back to neutral from planing speeds and I can still turn port/strb. Compared to my old I/O prop drive, it's not as dramatic as the lower unit had more surface area to act like a rudder, and the center line under the hull tries to hold a forward line, but it can turn slowly. Although trying to dock at no wake speeds the jetwash makes it harder to control in neutral as water and bubbles are going fore and aft of the rudder area. That's where you're right that a bit more speed approaching the dock helps as more water is going over the A/K and helps. I typically dock at no wake setting 1 in calmer conditions, and no wake 2 or 3 if it's rougher/windier.