• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First impression

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took my 2017 ar240 out for its maiden voyage today. I was a little disappointed with a top speed of 46mph heading into a 4mph wind, little chop and 45 degrees out pushing a top rpm of 7450. That was with a full tank and me and my wife. When it gets hot here in NC I think I'll be lucky to get to 40 mph. Th cobra steering was awesome at slow speed my wife got it on the trailer first shot. I admit I was a little nervous. Up on plane it was pushing to the port the steering wheel spoke was at 2 o'clock instead of up and down and I was fighting it a tad. My steering cables are adjusted to spec and my cobra fins are set within spec so if I adjust anything I'm going to put the fins out of adjustment I would imagine. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. It pulls hard at WOT. I had the dealer fix the anchor locker before I took it, I should have had hem tighten the trailer fender bolts ones gone already. I was out for a few hours and I'm happy to say the bilge never pumped out any water and none came out when I pulled the rear plug, I was a bit concerned about this issue. I did plug the upper rear platform drink holder so they couldn't drain into the hull with some $4 pipe stops. Any suggestions on the steering and top speed would be welcome. This forum has been very informative in regards to me making this purchase or not. I think it's a keeper. I was a little surprised at how low the bow sits while putting around I can see how water would go in the anchor locker with people up there. IMG_0064.JPG

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took my 2017 ar240 out for its maiden voyage today. I was a little disappointed with a top speed of 46mph heading into a 4mph wind, little chop and 45 degrees out pushing a top rpm of 7450. That was with a full tank and me and my wife. When it gets hot here in NC I think I'll be lucky to get to 40 mph. Th cobra steering was awesome at slow speed my wife got it on the trailer first shot. I admit I was a little nervous. Up on plane it was pushing to the port the steering wheel spoke was at 2 o'clock instead of up and down and I was fighting it a tad. My steering cables are adjusted to spec and my cobra fins are set within spec so if I adjust anything I'm going to put the fins out of adjustment I would imagine. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. It pulls hard at WOT. I had the dealer fix the anchor locker before I took it, I should have had hem tighten the trailer fender bolts ones gone already. I was out for a few hours and I'm happy to say the bilge never pumped out any water and none came out when I pulled the rear plug, I was a bit concerned about this issue. I did plug the upper rear platform drink holder so they couldn't drain into the hull with some $4 pipe stops. Any suggestions on the steering and top speed would be welcome. This forum has been very informative in regards to me making this purchase or not. I think it's a keeper. I was a little surprised at how low the bow sits while putting around I can see how water would go in the anchor locker with people up there. View attachment 66815
Awesome! I would think the boat should not pull in any direction (not due to wind of course) at any speed, so sounds like you may need to make some adjustments. Do you have MEGAs? If you think of adding those, I would do that for sure, and then adjust the steering cables (should be minimal) and steering rods (OEM - port side, and extra from Jeff) until the boat tracks completely strait. Look from behind the boat when on trailer - that will give you a general idea.
There are several things to try to improve your max RPM and speed, nothing slam-dunk, but some tweaks that will get you additional power to get closer to 50mph with minimal or no expense, and also some more expensive mods that you may decide are worth it. I'll respond later this weekend.

Completely dry bilge???? Winner!

--

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only have the regular fangs on there. I can't toe the nozzles inward because then the fangs would be pointing out in the front so one has to go out a little. I would imagine the port nozzle will have to go out to kick it to port a little correct. Are the mega fangs a huge difference at higher speeds over the regular ones? My credit card is already yelling at me!

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh and the stereo has to go lol.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually I need to push the bow SB so I would have to move that side out correct?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I woulkd run it again before adhusting anything.. even with steering aids my boat is affected by the wind.. if on yge second outting with different wind and water it still does the same then adjust them... just my 2 cent.

You said u were in nc.. there are a bunch if us in this area. What part of carolina are u?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok First place the controls in forward to open the reverse buckets, then center your steering wheel and tie it off with a rope, now go behind the boat and use a square to insure the rudder is at a right angle with the back of the boat, now place a straight edge across the openings of the 2 nozzles a long level will do, if the edge touches all 4 of the sides of the nozzles evenly your nozzles are even and straight if not you will need to adjust them even, after they are even measure the front distance between the fins and the rear distance it should be even or you can put a slight tow in of the nozzles to about 1/8 inch max if your wheel is still dead center and your measurements are all correct it should not pull unless you have issues with your ride plates causing drag like one is below the surface of the hull as has happened in the past. There were a lot of past posts about the ride plates being too low and dragging causing issues . If so that is something the dealer must correct.

Last edited:

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I woulkd run it again before adhusting anything.. even with steering aids my boat is affected by the wind.. if on yge second outting with different wind and water it still does the same then adjust them... just my 2 cent.

You said u were in nc.. there are a bunch if us in this area. What part of carolina are u?
I'm going to try and get out next Tuesday if doesn't rain and see how it is. I'm in Denver and boat on Lake Norman.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Cobra I'll check the nozzles for square in the am. I've been reading here for a month and didn't see the ride plate issue so I'll check Them too.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm going to try and get out next Tuesday if doesn't rain and see how it is. I'm in Denver and boat on Lake Norman.
Jeff covered the alignment, but you can also check @McMark and @Rod5 posts on it, and others.
Do you have the "regular fangs" with the AK system? If so - the difference with MEGAs is dramatic, well worth the money and it is not super expensive, especially with Jeff's end of year discounts.

Are you in Denver - NC? The elevation should not play a role in your RPM and speed mods. Denver, CO - different story.

--

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is definitely Denver, NC. Howdy, neighbor.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those drink holders shouldn't drain in to the boat unless somethings wrong. They should drain out on the the back swim platform.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It has not made much difference on the new boats but I would double check the star rating on your boat and see if it is 3 star or 4 star emission rated. Full tank of gas and two people on board @veedubtek and I hit 50 the first day the boat was on the water back in April. I have had mine as high as 52 mph just me on the boat and half tank of gas.

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It has not made much difference on the new boats but I would double check the start rating on your boat and see if it is 3 start or 4 star emission rated. Full tank of gas and two people on board @veedubtek and I hit 50 the first day the boat was on the water back in April. I have had mine as high as 52 mph just me on the boat and half tank of gas.
I get the same results with my 16 AR240
And i have a lot of gear on board and tank is usually full.
52 has been my high as well but just me also

As far as the pull make sure its not any current or chop causing it.
Try different directions before adjusting.
I get all sorts of pulls even with the slightest variable.
Needs flat calm with no wind to be sure

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It has not made much difference on the new boats but I would double check the star rating on your boat and see if it is 3 star or 4 star emission rated. Full tank of gas and two people on board @veedubtek and I hit 50 the first day the boat was on the water back in April. I have had mine as high as 52 mph just me on the boat and half tank of gas.
How do I find that info on the 3 or 4 I just saw this in the service manual I just got.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I get the same results with my 16 AR240
And i have a lot of gear on board and tank is usually full.
52 has been my high as well but just me also

As far as the pull make sure its not any current or chop causing it.
Try different directions before adjusting.
I get all sorts of pulls even with the slightest variable.
Needs flat calm with no wind to be sure
Like I said I'm going to try and get out Tuesday. I only have till the end of the month to back out of this deal so I need to rectify what I can without major things done to the boat in case I send it back.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those drink holders shouldn't drain in to the boat unless somethings wrong. They should drain out on the the back swim platform.
I only see a drain for the lower cup holders unless they run to the same spot.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok I found the sticker it's a 4 star idk why we need that here this isn't California. And the ride plates don't protrude below the hull. I bought this thinking it was a 50 mph boat (I like speed).

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put a straight edge on the nozzles and they appear to be even. I hope it's not windy Tuesday.