• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First jet boat. Newbie question

Justcruisin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Purchased this ‘96 sugar sand mirage super sport a few months ago and I’m enjoying it quite a bit, but I’m wondering if I should be trailering it with the wake tower attached. The boat came with a regular Bimini top that requires the tower to be removed and after doing so I noticed the connection to the boat was quite lose. I honestly didn’t pay attention to it until I removed it, so I don’t know if it was lose since I got it or if it happened while being transported. This might be ignorance as I’ve never owned a boat, but can anyone tell me if it should be removed for transport or if it’s safe to leave on?
I appreciate any input!

32D6CA6D-07B5-48A9-B06C-CF925D8013FE.png

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can’t speak for you exact boat/wake tower, but wake towers are designed to withstand a lot of force (a tube full of people cutting through water). Just driving, there is almost zero force imparted upon the tower (just the minuscule amount due to wind and accelerating your vehicle if we wanna get technical) which is no different than the forces imparted upon it on the water with no one attached.

If I were a betting man I’d say it wasn’t properly tightened down. Torque that puppy down, have it ready to go for the water, and don’t go through fast food drive throughs with the boat attached ;)

dyfanf

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
what was loose, the attachment from the mounts to the hull, or the tower to the mounts?
Either way, you can tow with it up. Tighten it up and add checking it to your "preflight" checklist/walkaround.

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I’d leave it up. Put some loctite on those bolts if they keep working loose.

Justcruisin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Dyfanf, the bolts connecting the tower to the boat cap were lose, seems it just wasn’t tightened properly when installed
Thank you all for the input! I figured it would be safe to transport but wanted to make sure and hear from boat owners with some experience under their belts and waves under their hull. I’ll be securing it properly as I’m installing a new sound system and doing some gel coat repairs soon. I’m glad I joined this community.