• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Jet Boat

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very, very broad question lol. After you get used to the steering you’re gonna love it!

Aslockcuff

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very, very broad question lol. After you get used to the steering you’re gonna love it!
Thanks. We have had traditional IO boats before. Any tricks to the steering? How is the reverse? Also heard they are loud?

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. We have had traditional IO boats before. Any tricks to the steering? How is the reverse? Also heard they are loud?
I have yet to have anyone complain with how loud my boat is (08 AR230). Definitely louder as I have been cursed with a mechanics ear, but it doesn’t bother me. First a foremost, only go as fast as you want to hit the dock and trailer. Also, you have to have some sort of thrust for steering! Go as slow as you want and don’t get pressured even if the ramp or docks are busy to try to go faster. I hit my trailer every time perfectly just by leaving the throttles in the forward detent and letting it idle to the trailer, this is also how I dock. I usually have to put it in reverse and give it some throttle to slow down since I haven’t perfected it yet but i feel I'm pretty good at docking anywhere now that I’ve got the hang of it.

When you slow down make sure you throttle down slowly, don’t just goose it to the neutral detent, you’ll probably end up dunking the front one day doing that, ask me how I know lol. I usually slow down and try to make sure I don’t have the water catch me from behind too.

Reverse is obviously not a true reverse, it’s just closing the buckets over the nozzle and forcing the water to go under the boat. It’s not as responsive and this is how my buddy found out you need to give some throttle while in reverse if you’re coming in too fast at a dock. So when I approach a dock pending wind and what not I usually go 30-45 degrees nose in, then put it in reverse and turn my wheel towards the dock to bring the stern over, usually have to give it some throttle at this time.

Once you’re in a slip make sure you shut the boat off, it has no true neutral. So make sure you have everything ready like dock lines and bumpers out prior to approaching the dock. Once you figure out how to maneuver you’ll be fine, I feel this is way easier than my old I/O for sure.

Search all over on here, you’ll find some good stuff in the drop down menu like the FAQ section!

Aslockcuff

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have yet to have anyone complain with how loud my boat is (08 AR230). Definitely louder as I have been cursed with a mechanics ear, but it doesn’t bother me. First a foremost, only go as fast as you want to hit the dock and trailer. Also, you have to have some sort of thrust for steering! Go as slow as you want and don’t get pressured even if the ramp or docks are busy to try to go faster. I hit my trailer every time perfectly just by leaving the throttles in the forward detent and letting it idle to the trailer, this is also how I dock. I usually have to put it in reverse and give it some throttle to slow down since I haven’t perfected it yet but i feel I'm pretty good at docking anywhere now that I’ve got the hang of it.

When you slow down make sure you throttle down slowly, don’t just goose it to the neutral detent, you’ll probably end up dunking the front one day doing that, ask me how I know lol. I usually slow down and try to make sure I don’t have the water catch me from behind too.

Reverse is obviously not a true reverse, it’s just closing the buckets over the nozzle and forcing the water to go under the boat. It’s not as responsive and this is how my buddy found out you need to give some throttle while in reverse if you’re coming in too fast at a dock. So when I approach a dock pending wind and what not I usually go 30-45 degrees nose in, then put it in reverse and turn my wheel towards the dock to bring the stern over, usually have to give it some throttle at this time.

Once you’re in a slip make sure you shut the boat off, it has no true neutral. So make sure you have everything ready like dock lines and bumpers out prior to approaching the dock. Once you figure out how to maneuver you’ll be fine, I feel this is way easier than my old I/O for sure.

Search all over on here, you’ll find some good stuff in the drop down menu like the FAQ section!
Appreciate it! Looking forward to getting it out on the water. It has some pretty heavy keel scuffing but nothing through the gel coat so looking to put a keel guard on it. Assuming yours is a twin engine as well? Do you ever use one in reverse and one forward for turning?

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Appreciate it! Looking forward to getting it out on the water. It has some pretty heavy keel scuffing but nothing through the gel coat so looking to put a keel guard on it. Assuming yours is a twin engine as well? Do you ever use one in reverse and one forward for turning?
I have actually never tried one forward and one reverse since these boats turn on a dime as it is! You will like that the steering wheel doesn’t turn a few times to get all the way to one way. Just a heads up too, these don’t have power steering so it’ll feel stiff at times but as long as you’re on plane or idling around steering is easy. I have given more throttle to one engine as I’m turning before, for example if I’m making a left turn I give the starboard engine more throttle (while not backing down on the port throttle either though). If you’re ever going to do the one throttle forward and one back obviously only do that in no wake areas haha. You can always practice by throwing a dock fender or two out in the lake and pulling beside it like a dock too!

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm pretty sure that's actually a 2007, the 2008 models were red. I would have someone check the hours, if you don't have anyone around that can do it you can buy the software and cable off of ebay for around $50.00 and pull the hours and fault codes yourself, it's cheap insurance.

I had a 2010 and it was loud, I didn't realize how loud it actually was until I bought a new boat last year. Steering is a breeze once you get used to it, I never put steering fins on my Yamaha and never once did I have an issue. On the other hand no one else in my family wanted to drive it since it takes time to master, so I was the captain for 10 years and never got to enjoy water sports and I was ready to get out of boating. With my new V-drive, my wife picked it up quickly and we are enjoying surfing and I actually enjoy boating again.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
last 2 digits of the id number is the year

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Im ocean bound and I love my boat. Truth is that it steers like a basketball at low speeds (in stock trim) but you figure it out and become a better pilot for it. It's also very wide and shallow draft compared to more traditional boats so it catches the wind when you least want it too (at docking) and can get turned around but again you learn to be a better pilot and it's all good from then on.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Im ocean bound and I love my boat. Truth is that it steers like a basketball at low speeds (in stock trim) but you figure it out and become a better pilot for it. It's also very wide and shallow draft compared to more traditional boats so it catches the wind when you least want it too (at docking) and can get turned around but again you learn to be a better pilot and it's all good from then on.
Well for a very small amount of money you can own the water at all speeds in big waves and even when you are turning and decelerating at the same time. It is a huge difference and you get to sit back and enjoy the ride.
Actually with my end of year sale going on you can add the super ultimate AK deluxe system to your boat for only $189 with free shipping and a 30 day satisfaction guarantee this gives you the faster hole shot, steering improvements at all speeds and a spring loaded adjustable set of tempered aluminum fins that work at all speeds . And you can practice smiling .

Attachments

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The black boat in the pic looks like it already has fins. If this is correct good as the learning curve won’t be as steep as it would be without fins. Not just for the owner but guest drivers as well.

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Not too far from you here in Wilmington. You will love being out on the water. Just practice like everyone is saying. What has been working for me is 3 mph as I approach the dock, anything less and you are not steering. Determine wind direction so you can figure out your approach. Then what I like to do is as I’m getting close to the dock, use my reverse to slow me and get me to the side I want. Put our your fenders on both sides, because I always try for one side, but will almost always be forced to the opposite side, so have both sides covered. I also practiced in the water before coming up to the docks. Just play around with it to see how it reacts. It will get better with practice. Congrats and be safe out there!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The black boat in the pic looks like it already has fins. If this is correct good as the learning curve won’t be as steep as it would be without fins. Not just for the owner but guest drivers as well.
I was referencing the 2017 19 foot boat as for the first one it only has slow speed part time fins I make super steering that works at all speeds and even stays in control during water sport activities and when in wind waves and currents plus it stays in control during rapid deceleration and is adjustable as well as made from tempered aluminum NO PLASTIC . But you know that you have had them on your boat for many years..