• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Roadtrip - towable storage advice

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Have our first roadtrip planned, just a camping weekend. It will be eight people total and I'll have the Zup board and a Super Mabel.
As I just got the Zup this year, I've never used both at the same time. But this time we'll have the Zup, the Super Mabel and eight people besides.
Expected recreation pattern is to mainly use the Zup for towing fun. Maybe some use of the Super Mabel as a towable but the Super Mabel will mainly come in handy while anchored as a swim or sunning platform.

So my main question is how to manage the Super Mabel. Before we use it for the first time I can probably squeeze it under the rear starboard seat but after it's wet I wouldn't be putting it back there. Any advice on how best to manage it after, let's say, we're done swimming and ready for more Zup boarding?
Best idea I have so far is to deflate is best as I can and leave it as an unwieldy mass on the floor. Or if there is some way to deflate and then secure it to the swim deck that would be good as the Zup would be pulled from the tower and blocking the tow hook wouldn't be a problem.

As for Zup storage I don't have much choice other than to angle it between the console or put it on the floor since I don't have a wakeboard rack.

We'll be trailering in and out each day. As for boat storage from one day to the next would you simply leave it uncovered? Put the cover on to protect from tree sap and leaves? Leave carpets in or out overnight? Of course I would plan to give it a good rinse and airing out after towing back home (3 hour drive).

Thanks for your advice.

Russ C

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We keep our inflated pull it up on swim deck and connect it to the tow hook with about a 10inch piece of ski rope looped through the connector on the Mable. It rides there just fine all day. We kick it off when we swim off the swim deck. The deflate and out in ski locker for towing.

Russ C

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also I would leave cover off for awhile in the evening let things dry out a little, and throw the cover over loose for the night. Pull carpets when you get home.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Shew buddy....8 people a super mable and a ZUP in an AR195 is going to be TIGHT. I've had 8 persons (4 adults 4 kids) in my 190, and it was very snug.

I notice that you have a pre 2019 AR195 as well, so the rear seats come off instead of hinge. I can fit my two person towable, deflated and folded tightly, into one of those black/yellow totes from Home Depot. That tote then fits under the starboard rear seat (goes in, turns, slides) and slid back. it works surprisingly well. If you have that many people on board, you are gonna want all the space you can get, and this will free up that space for you.

I've left mine inflated before and it does OK. There is a good technique I use that helps when you are trying to board AND keeping the tube inflated. Take the tube and pull it up so the main loop attaches to the ski eye, now loop some length of the rope over to the starboard rear cleat and tie it off. Slip the rest of rope into the starboard rear storage and close the seat over it. This allows the tube to be up close to the stern and partially on the platform while underway, but you can easily unhook it, and let it float (without worry of sucking up the rope), while boarders are getting on/off the platform. Once new rider is out on the board, just pull it back up to the stern eye before you take off.

Like this:
20180605_193836.jpg

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I haven't seen it done on a Yamaha, but I have seen people put their tubes on top of their bimini and tie them down to the tower. On the Yamaha I always went with the swim step method like some of the other guys.

I would leave the boat open to dry out over night unless you are in an area where birds are going to shit all over it.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks for all the great advice.

We keep our inflated pull it up on swim deck and connect it to the tow hook with about a 10inch piece of ski rope looped through the connector on the Mable. It rides there just fine all day. We kick it off when we swim off the swim deck. The deflate and out in ski locker for towing.
This is with a Super Mable? It doesn't drag in the water? What orientation do you have it? Right-side up or upside-down? Front connector or reverse connector?
I'll try to experiment with it this weekend. You think I can tow a Zup from the tower while the inflated Super Mable is attached to the swim deck? If so that will solve the main issue.

Shew buddy....8 people a super mable and a ZUP in an AR195 is going to be TIGHT. I've had 8 persons (4 adults 4 kids) in my 190, and it was very snug.
Yep. I may have a chance to try out this configuration this weekend. I've had 8 people several times (4 adults, 4 kids) and it's generally not too bad since the kids are typically playing in the water while anchored. But the Zup will add another dimension.

I notice that you have a pre 2019 AR195 as well, so the rear seats come off instead of hinge. I can fit my two person towable, deflated and folded tightly, into one of those black/yellow totes from Home Depot. That tote then fits under the starboard rear seat (goes in, turns, slides) and slid back. it works surprisingly well. If you have that many people on board, you are gonna want all the space you can get, and this will free up that space for you.
That looks like the ideal size. Much more stowable. The Super Mable is unwieldly although really nice as a swim platform and for young riders. I doubt it would fit into the rear compartment like that. Maybe I'll get a 2x2 next year. By the way, where do you keep your bow filler cushion? Right now I'm using that compartment for that cushion.
I've left mine inflated before and it does OK. There is a good technique I use that helps when you are trying to board AND keeping the tube inflated. Take the tube and pull it up so the main loop attaches to the ski eye, now loop some length of the rope over to the starboard rear cleat and tie it off. Slip the rest of rope into the starboard rear storage and close the seat over it. This allows the tube to be up close to the stern and partially on the platform while underway, but you can easily unhook it, and let it float (without worry of sucking up the rope), while boarders are getting on/off the platform. Once new rider is out on the board, just pull it back up to the stern eye before you take off.
Great advice, thank you. I was wondering how to manage the ingress/egress to the water if the tube is sitting there. Going in the water would be easy but getting out more of a challenge. I'll experiment with this this weekend.
That means you are keeping the engine running while swapping riders. Not recommended but glad to see I'm not the only one. :)
I mainly do it out of habit because with my old boat (Seadoo Utopia), I was never sure if it would start up again.

I also need to try out my brand new mooring/towing cover. I saw there was some debate about towing with the cover on or off but I don't see an alternative to towing without a cover if I want to ensure that I don't lose any cushions.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep. I may have a chance to try out this configuration this weekend. I've had 8 people several times (4 adults, 4 kids) and it's generally not too bad since the kids are typically playing in the water while anchored. But the Zup will add another dimension.
Love multi-quotes. Breaks up the convo in an easy to read manner :D

That looks like the ideal size. Much more stowable. The Super Mable is unwieldly although really nice as a swim platform and for young riders. I doubt it would fit into the rear compartment like that. Maybe I'll get a 2x2 next year. By the way, where do you keep your bow filler cushion? Right now I'm using that compartment for that cushion.
My 190 didn't come with a filler cushion. We would probably leave it at home, or permanently installed. Hard to say really.

Great advice, thank you. I was wondering how to manage the ingress/egress to the water if the tube is sitting there. Going in the water would be easy but getting out more of a challenge. I'll experiment with this this weekend.
That means you are keeping the engine running while swapping riders. Not recommended but glad to see I'm not the only one. :)
I mainly do it out of habit because with my old boat (Seadoo Utopia), I was never sure if it would start up again.
I usually kill the engine when picking up a downed skier and getting them back in the boat. Just keeps the CO down around the swimmers area, as well as prevents a rope suck up incident. if it's just me getting back on, I don't kill the engine or move the tube, just climb over in a hurry. I'm typically the only one flexible enough to do that. Wife and kids need the full ladder and platform to reboard.

With them I approach slowly, hit reverse for a quick second to kill momentum, turn ignition off, climb to back and unhook tube, deploy ladder, and start grabbing whatever board they had.
I also need to try out my brand new mooring/towing cover. I saw there was some debate about towing with the cover on or off but I don't see an alternative to towing without a cover if I want to ensure that I don't lose any cushions.
I tow with the cover on. Poles removed, but straps remain in place. I got two seasons my shipping cover with that method, and am 3/4 way through my first season with the premium deluxe mooring cover. I was advised to do that by the dealer to prevent lost cushions.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have our first roadtrip planned, just a camping weekend. It will be eight people total and I'll have the Zup board and a Super Mabel.
As I just got the Zup this year, I've never used both at the same time. But this time we'll have the Zup, the Super Mabel and eight people besides.
Expected recreation pattern is to mainly use the Zup for towing fun. Maybe some use of the Super Mabel as a towable but the Super Mabel will mainly come in handy while anchored as a swim or sunning platform.

So my main question is how to manage the Super Mabel. Before we use it for the first time I can probably squeeze it under the rear starboard seat but after it's wet I wouldn't be putting it back there. Any advice on how best to manage it after, let's say, we're done swimming and ready for more Zup boarding?
Best idea I have so far is to deflate is best as I can and leave it as an unwieldy mass on the floor. Or if there is some way to deflate and then secure it to the swim deck that would be good as the Zup would be pulled from the tower and blocking the tow hook wouldn't be a problem.

As for Zup storage I don't have much choice other than to angle it between the console or put it on the floor since I don't have a wakeboard rack.

We'll be trailering in and out each day. As for boat storage from one day to the next would you simply leave it uncovered? Put the cover on to protect from tree sap and leaves? Leave carpets in or out overnight? Of course I would plan to give it a good rinse and airing out after towing back home (3 hour drive).

Thanks for your advice.
A large 3-4 person tube will not fit on a transom for comfortable/safe tethering from the tow hook.
I've installed a cleat for that:

--

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Are you close to your campsite? If so I would do the ZUP for a while. When they are bored with that, go back to campsite and swap ZUP for tube then tube for a while....you got all weekend.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
BTW, this's been one of my most favorite quotes on jetboaters.net over the years, lol.
Thank you @Russ C!
Let me start by saying I hate inflatables and everything about them, unfortunately the kids love them.
Preferred storage would be a 12 inch cut and large rock at bottom of lake.
lolol, my sentiment exactly.

--

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I haven't seen it done on a Yamaha, but I have seen people put their tubes on top of their bimini and tie them down to the tower. On the Yamaha I always went with the swim step method like some of the other guys.

I would leave the boat open to dry out over night unless you are in an area where birds are going to shit all over it.
@d_coyne1984 @mdchachi We stow our tube on top of the T-Top. 3 straps (front to keep the wind from lifting it up and a strap on each side at the rear most grab handles). Easy to access when needed. Clears the deck when not in use. The tube stays put even @ 40mph +/- . We tie it up there when we get ready to launch on day 1 and it stays there (when not in use) until we are ready to head home. While traveling, we stow in (inflated) in front of the CC into the bow area and put the cover on over it. We have traveled many miles with this set up and have no issues (knock on wood). Not sure if you can arrange in the same fashion on your bimini cover?
Boat with Cover on.jpg
Tube on tower 02.jpg
Tube on tower 01.jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've seen people tie a line to their big tubes and anchor them in a cove while they go skiing etc. But to do this you need to be very trusting of others or have another boat keeping an eye out for it! Perhaps laminate a sign to put on it that says

"No, this isn't left here for you to steal! HANDS OFF! I'm watching you and loading my gun right now! GO AHEAD MAKE MY DAY!"

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I've seen people tie a line to their big tubes and anchor them in a cove while they go skiing etc. But to do this you need to be very trusting of others or have another boat keeping an eye out for it! Perhaps laminate a sign to put on it that says

"No, this isn't left here for you to steal! HANDS OFF! I'm watching you and loading my gun right now! GO AHEAD MAKE MY DAY!"
We've done this, anchor a big tube in a cove while we do some other type of pulling. We've even used it as a sudo home base for a few to hang out on and swim while we pull, come back switch a couple people and go again.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I couldn’t figure out a way to keep it fully inflated. That thing is so big. But I found a workable solution which is to partially deflate, fold over and thread rope through back & front mounts and tie to tower. And two additional ties to the tower on the sides. Was still able to use the Zup in this configuration. And the swim platform is accessible enough to stand on near the waters edge.

Not my first choice but at least it’s an option if needed.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mdchachi

Certainly looks like a workable solution. Were you able to reboard acceptably using the ladder?

Was thinking about this thread on Saturday. We inflated the tube for the first time this season. Once it was inflated it just stayed that way, and the 8yr old used it as a jumping pad for the remainder of the day. We also floated my mother out about 30' away when she wanted to have a smoke. Won't let live cigarettes on our boat. Period. So it worked well for that.

Anyhow, we did the same "tie it off to one side, then hook the loop at the front through the ski eye. We were able to pull around the tube for a bit, then swap over to the wakeskate, then do some cruising. It's not terribly in the way, but it's certainly not super convenient. Obviously our tube is about 1/2 the size of your's though.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I can fit my two person towable, deflated and folded tightly, into one of those black/yellow totes from Home Depot.
Is this the kind of tote you’re talking about?
When dry the Super Mable fits in there fine. Still room for the bow filler cushion too. Probably wouldn’t want to put a wet one in there. Certainly not without a tote of some sort

I
Certainly looks like a workable solution. Were you able to reboard acceptably using the ladder?
It would be possible to get back there and deploy the ladder but the kids are able to clamber aboard without it. Sometimes I’ll give them a hand but they don’t need it.
I was able to push the tube over to the side enough to give them 6 inches or so to walk up.
I think I’ll look for better tie downs. I was using those black rubber bungies with metal hooks. They could get undone plus the hooks could scratch or puncture something.

I think if I use the tower creatively to keep stuff out of the way like the Zup & lifejackets when anchored 8 people + dog should be manageable.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mdchachi Shew, you're a braver man than I am to attempt 8 people and a dog on an 195. Perhaps just closer friends?

Anywho, I have my tube folded up tight and stuffed into one of these totes from Home Depot. I just re-read your post and see it's a similar link to what you have in your post. I have to put it into the storage area on it's side, then turn 90deg, and it will slide back out of the way. I'll get some pics tonight since the tote is empty while the tube dries out in the garage. It's a little heavy to handle when full of tube, but empty it's super easy. I'll get the part number/size off it tonight for you as well.

I would think you could easily use some bungees and hold the ZUP to the side of the tower. Will look a little odd, but should work acceptably for a short period of time. I have seen others bungee them on top of the bimini on other boats. Perhaps that would work here? The frame on our 190/195 boats should be strong enough to handle the weight. One bungee on each side in the front, and then a single in the rear to hold it in place.

I have the tube in a tote, the iDrodisc folded, and the inflation devices in that rear storage, with plenty of room to spare. They have to come in/out in a certain order, but that's just procedural, not really a space issue. Again, I'll grab some pics tonight.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mdchachi I took some pics of my setup last night. Totally forgot to get the part number or measurements from the bin though. You can probably estimate based on the opening size of the seat, and how closely mine fits in there.

1st thing. Deflate the tube COMPLETELY. It helps if you have an air pump to "suck" some of the air out as you deflate. Then fold/roll the tube up as tight as you can. My two person tube BARELY fits in this bin. Yours might not.
IMG_20190805_194724.jpg

2nd thing. Put the lid on the bin, and it goes in on it's "side" so that it will fit into the opening. Have to kind hold the side support ribs. It's fairly heavy, be careful.
IMG_20190805_193706.jpg

3rd. Rotate bin 90 degrees. Top towards port to get it "right side up.
IMG_20190805_193711.jpg

Finally, slide it back and pack more water toys in front. I show my inflator and 12v extension cord in the small clear bin, and the Slingshot iDrodisc in front of the bin here.
IMG_20190805_193723.jpg

I started using the bin, because I was tired of water leaking into the rear storage area and getting the tube wet even when we didn't use it all day. Now that I have the water intrusion problem solved (it was the rear cupholders leaking), I'll most likely stop using the bin. If I fold the tube up small like that, then it will actually slide back into taht space then "stand up" behind the rear seat rest (there is a ton of volume in there that is not readily accessible). With it "stood up" like that, then you can't even see it with the seat base removed, and that entire compartment is available for additional storage. This might be the best bet if you can get your tube deflated and folded tight enough.

Good luck, and be sure to come back and let us know how the road trip goes.........Also, I want to see a picture of 8 people and a dog on a 195 with a Zup and Super Mable!

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Totally forgot to get the part number or measurements from the bin though. You can probably estimate based on the opening size of the seat, and how closely mine fits in there.
You mean I have to measure it myself?? Just kidding. I appreciate all the details and pics.

Good luck, and be sure to come back and let us know how the road trip goes.........Also, I want to see a picture of 8 people and a dog on a 195 with a Zup and Super Mable!
Haha. I’m not too worried about that. I figure when everybody is on board we’ll be in transit or possibly pulling a water toy or Zup. Other than that we'll be anchored leaving room for people to hang out in the water or swim deck. Or on the towable once it’s inflated.
Just hoping that the weather cooperates.
I’ll take pics in any case.