• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First service/Oil change questions

Dirt squirt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
What's the story with the first service interval(s)? Is there one at 10hrs AND one at 25 hrs? Or is there one service you get done somewhere between 10 and 25 hrs? And are the oil changes really that tricky? The mechanic at the dealership made it sound like disarming a nuke in it's degree of difficulty. It can't be all that hard, can it? O/T , i took a look at the reverse gate adjustment on a boat at the dealer. Looks a bit complicated. I thought I could do it with the boat in the water, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Dirt squirt first service (10 hours) is a maintenance check, and a warranty check. The dealership will look it over and take care of any recalls, rewrite/reset the ecm if needed.

The 25 hour maintenance is an oil filter, oil, and spark plug replacement. The dealer will also have to reset the maintenance schedule on the ECM for 25 hours. Some dealers will do this for a minimal charge, others wont do it unless your performing all of the maintenance with them.

You can get a kit online with everything you need to do this yourself for about $80 shipped. This includes oil, filter, and plugs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141462370897?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Dirt squirt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks! So I'm looking at two trips to the dealer? I guess I can live with that. Looks like I can take care of oil changes from there.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Im working on a kit with a vendor that anyone can buy to reset the maintenance light and a ton of other things. But until that solution is made, you will have to see the dealer every 25 hours to reset the "maintenance required" message. Then, at 200 hours, if you have a supercharged engine, you have to rebuild it. Its not very hard from what I have seen.

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
How the heck do you reset the maintenance light. The dealer had no idea!!!!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Well....looks like I am screwed! I don't believe they have that kind of technology.....lol

Jpseph296

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
are there any warrantee issues with performing the maintenance your self? id hate to be bent over by the dealer for a simple oil change i can do myself

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yes, but the scrolling message at start up will remain.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well....looks like I am screwed! I don't believe they have that kind of technology.....lol
@ScarabMike I think this was talked about before, but will the CanDooPro reset the maintenance light?

@Joseph Baxter I know a lot of folks don't like to put their location on their profile, but you may have someone near you who can help...

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I just had my first oil change at 25. I tried at 11hrs but the dealer assured me I didn't need it???
So at 25hrs they just did it. I went through the Scarab BRP book with them. My question was why they didn't replace my plugs. The book I was looking at showed it as a check only...( did the Tech do it???). Why are we seeing different ways of doing things between these dealers? Besides the obvious quicker and cheaper...
I would think there would be more standardization.
On a second note...they did use all of the appropriate oil and coolant.
Boat runs great...no problems and they even remembered to put the oil cap back on...I checked:)
Another thing, my speaker(led speaker covers) and toggle switch have been on order for 3 weeks now. Dealer said Scarab is tuff to get a hold of.

Last edited:

Jpseph296

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
i just had mine done at a dealer they didn't replace my plugs all its said on the form was they checked them. and they sent me a bill in the mail for $319 so now I'm fighting with them about how an oil change could cost that much

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Mine was $157 and I provided the oil and filter...

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The reason dealers charge so much for an oil change on these boats is because of the labor rates in your area, and what they are trying to accomplish. Since there is no set in stone way to perform the services, it may take different amounts of time to complete the task. I also suspect dealers with slow service departments will take advantage of this "unknown"'.

In FL, the average labor rates vary from 115-160 per hour. So lets break it down. This is an estimate of what COULD be charged.

Warm up engine (dry sump system) 10-15 min
Suck out oil (depending on the pump (20-30 min)
replace oil filter and O rings (10-15min)
refill oil ( 10-15 min)
Clean up (20-30min)
Oil cost ($50 for t4 or BRP oil)
Cost of new filter ($12)
Impact or disposal fees ($5-20) depending on your area.
misc mechanic checks (30min-1hr)
Run engine/check oil level (10-15min)
Clearing Maint Code (10-15min)
Taxes
Processing/admin fees.

The overhead is huge.

Jpseph296

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yes mine was $167 labor plus parts so it came to $319 and while I completely understand that they have a rediculos overhead when I spoke to the service manager before I did it he assured me it would be less then $200 but couldn't give me and exact price because they were so new to carrying scarabs that it wasent in the computer. I said to him before hand let me know if it's more then 200 and I will do it myself but he was insisting that it wouldn't be that's why I went and had them do it. And that's my issue

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You forgot shop supplies. ;) That one kills me. :wtf:

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@ScarabMike: I realize your assesment of time requirements takes into account virtually every possible item.

Now for some reality re: BRP powerplants and oil changes.

Including starting time, gathering up tools, performing the work, and clean-up and some testing,
the real-world requirement is LESS THAN 60 minutes per engine.

Adding anything timewise to this number is simply derisive overcharging by the dealer.
Most do it anyway.
Doesn't make it right.

I'm ok now ....... I am getting off my soapbox.
Hey !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your upcoming weekend !
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA