• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First time amp installation

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2017 242 E series. I can't hear anything when underway so bought an amp to try and get a bit more clear volume. Yamaha should have put some speakers by the captains chair vs. those crappy tweeters in the tower. If the amp does not help on it's own, will get some upgraded speakers but wanted to try just the amp first (figured I would need that anyway).

To be up front, I did go cheap and bought the Rockville 8 channel amp I saw on someones build thread.

I've read a lot of the threads on people's builds but don't see anything really specific on how you connect the output from the HU to the amp. Does anyone have pictures or can summarize what I should do?

Boat is in storage so haven't looked behind the helm yet and not sure what is in store for me.

I did get an amp wiring kit so should have what I need to get connected. Any pointers on running the cables from the helm to the battery would be appreciated as well. I'm thinking I run it all the way back through the engine compartment?

Thanks in advance!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
RCAs plug right in for signal.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2017 242 E series. I can't hear anything when underway so bought an amp to try and get a bit more clear volume. Yamaha should have put some speakers by the captains chair vs. those crappy tweeters in the tower. If the amp does not help on it's own, will get some upgraded speakers but wanted to try just the amp first (figured I would need that anyway).

To be up front, I did go cheap and bought the Rockville 8 channel amp I saw on someones build thread.

I've read a lot of the threads on people's builds but don't see anything really specific on how you connect the output from the HU to the amp. Does anyone have pictures or can summarize what I should do?

Boat is in storage so haven't looked behind the helm yet and not sure what is in store for me.

I did get an amp wiring kit so should have what I need to get connected. Any pointers on running the cables from the helm to the battery would be appreciated as well. I'm thinking I run it all the way back through the engine compartment?

Thanks in advance!
@AlphaKap Nice looking boat and you will be glad you did this. Hopefully you got a kit with at least true 4awg wire. AWG is key as American wire gauage is different than just gauge. Second thing would be that the wire needs to be pure copper or tinned copper. CCA (copper clad aluminum) is bad in general and even worse on a boat. The best quality and price point for quality wire you can buy is knuknoceptz flexs.

The same stock speakers as you have will fit in the black combing panel next the the captains chairs. Amps plus adding speakers there made the biggest difference by far for me.

Here is a link to my install. I have done more since the first post and made a significant update on page 3. Sounds like you are not looking to take it this far but hopefully you find something in it useful.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/detailed-2016-242-ls-1k-audio-upgrade.9400/page-3

Good luck with the install.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'll tell you what, go ahead and order a pair of cockpit speakers now, that'll fill out your 8 channels (leave the tweeters running off the factory radio) - and they are a must-do, IMO. I got a pair of the factory polks off ebay for like fifty bucks.

What 'amp kit' did you order? If it was a car one, the ground will likely be way too short. Running from the battery to the helm is easy, I chased around the inside of the hatch, then up the gunnel. Some people go across the fuel tank.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@seanmclean your thread is where I saw the Rockville amp. I plan to order a pair of speakers for cockpit. I'm a bit nervous to cut anything but will get over that. Regarding the kit, correct in that the negative is too short.

@Mainah I got 4 gauge from Fry's but not sure if it is copper, tinned copper or the other. I'll need to check...hopefully can tell by looking at it. i'm going to try and knock this out tomorrow so won't be able to order what you mentioned...maybe they have something similar at Frys.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The wire will say CCA or OFC on it.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
yes cockpit speakers will make a world of difference
I had an amp powering all speakers and a tower speakers with no cockpit speakers and I had to blast the radio to hear it while cruising.
When your radio is on, walk from your swim deck to bow, the sound shouldn't drop off or sound lower.
I agree for now buy some cheap cockpit speakers
making a 6.5 hole in the boat is super easy
I used a drill - I wished I mounted them higher

010d865e6268200a4216ca234cdba98fd40bd1d2d7.jpg

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yep, just get the right size hole saw and go to town. I used this kit (5" hole for the polks).

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
yes cockpit speakers will make a world of difference
I had an amp powering all speakers and a tower speakers with no cockpit speakers and I had to blast the radio to hear it while cruising.
When your radio is on, walk from your swim deck to bow, the sound shouldn't drop off or sound lower.
I agree for now buy some cheap cockpit speakers
making a 6.5 hole in the boat is super easy
I used a drill - I wished I mounted them higher

View attachment 72458
I have mine about the same height, though a bit further aft. I thought about going higher, but then it'd just be blaring right into the seat.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For the power connections to the amp or fuse, how far back do I strip the wire? Does the Allen screw that secures the wire push against the copper wire or do I leave enough insulation so it pushes against the insulation?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Allen screw goes in to the wire. For a really good connection on ring teminals flux the inside of the connector insert a few cut off pieces of electrical solder into the wire close to the outer edge. Insert the wire into the terminal screw or crimp it then apply medium low heat until the solder melts. You now have a mechanical and soldered connection that someone will swear about if they ever try to get the wire out.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While we're on the subject of wiring amps, I'd like to insert a quick question, if I may, without hijacking the thread.

If my head unit is using all of its speaker outs, but the RCA outs are hanging empty, can you connect an amp to the RCA's and then connect additional speakers to the amp? Or can the HU only output on one or the other?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For the power connections to the amp or fuse, how far back do I strip the wire? Does the Allen screw that secures the wire push against the copper wire or do I leave enough insulation so it pushes against the insulation?
I've always had good luck with these devices, especially if your wiring has fairly thin strands which can tug out if not seated well, sometimes the allen screw can just separate them, rather than clamping down - not all amps have beefy knurled sections that interact with the wire. Of course Mainah's suggestion is likely bulletproof.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H4Y5O0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While we're on the subject of wiring amps, I'd like to insert a quick question, if I may, without hijacking the thread.

If my head unit is using all of its speaker outs, but the RCA outs are hanging empty, can you connect an amp to the RCA's and then connect additional speakers to the amp? Or can the HU only output on one or the other?
It will send signal to both, some people will only amp certain speakers and leave the rest on the stereo.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've always had good luck with these devices, especially if your wiring has fairly thin strands which can tug out if not seated well, sometimes the allen screw can just separate them, rather than clamping down - not all amps have beefy knurled sections that interact with the wire. Of course Mainah's suggestion is likely bulletproof.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H4Y5O0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It will send signal to both, some people will only amp certain speakers and leave the rest on the stereo.
I am one of those people. 4 Mid cabin full range and two subs and amplified. Tweets, bow and swim deck on headunit. As a result swim deck and bow not as loud and just how we like it. 1000 watts max power for how much clean amd balanced sound we have is pretty efficient. If I add tower speaker down the road I will need another amp

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've not completed yet. The compression fittings are a pain in the bottom. I tinned the power cables and that helped. I did not for the speaker wire and need to do them so they don't fall out. What is really frustrating is the allen socket end on one of the speaker fittings got stripped so I set it aside for now. I'll try to solder the wire directly tonight so I can install it this weekend without drama.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I've not completed yet. The compression fittings are a pain in the bottom. I tinned the power cables and that helped. I did not for the speaker wire and need to do them so they don't fall out. What is really frustrating is the allen socket end on one of the speaker fittings got stripped so I set it aside for now. I'll try to solder the wire directly tonight so I can install it this weekend without drama.
Usually with the compression fittings, you fold the wire over, so a soldered wire would not work.