• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First time boater!

cmxvw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hi All, I'm new to the group and hoping to buy a Yamaha LS 2000 this weekend as my first boat ever. Any recommendations or things to look for? The boat has had 3 owners and per the seller always been garaged. We'll, unfortunately, have to store the boat in the open with a cover.

We just bought a small lake house in Livingston and are looking forward to getting out on the water. I'm thinking it is a good time to buy since it is the 'off' season. The idea of a Jet Boat is appealing because our lake is a bit stumpy.

I've heard that oil lines are a common failure item on these boats, and to check and see if they have been replaced. I'm guessing since the boat is 19 years old this has been done but will try and check. Any chance someone can show me where to look for these? Also, I've read that another item to check is the plugs in the engine compartment. Anything else I should consider or look at tomorrow when we look at the boat?

Another newbie question -- is a water test necessary? Or is starting it up and running it sufficient? I've never owned a boat before so I appreciate any help - I'm sure some of these questions are pretty remedial. Thanks so much! 123315838_10221444245274277_8807193690160954192_o.jpg123257422_10221444245434281_7631106595415541770_o.jpg123441560_276267380374377_1160451848098327793_n.jpg123503180_10221444245154274_8416207038824272171_o.jpg

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome!! Great looking boat.

On a boat that age I would want a water test. Make sure the cleanout plugs come out/go in easy, compression check, look under the boat for abnormal wear or exposed fiberglass, make sure EVERYTHING works as it should, look for wiring repairs, battery age, fuel and oil line conditions, trailer tire condition, wiring & lights on the trailer and I'm sure some others will chime in with more things to look for.

cmxvw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Welcome!! Great looking boat.

On a boat that age I would want a water test. Make sure the cleanout plugs come out/go in easy, compression check, look under the boat for abnormal wear or exposed fiberglass, make sure EVERYTHING works as it should, look for wiring repairs, battery age, fuel and oil line conditions, trailer tire condition, wiring & lights on the trailer and I'm sure some others will chime in with more things to look for.
Thanks! Guessing I'd need to have it looked at by a mechanic for a compression test?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks! Guessing I'd need to have it looked at by a mechanic for a compression test?
You can buy a cheap compression test kit at Harbor Freight, but you have to know how to use/read it. If you're real serious about the boat, pay a mechanic to give it a once over. A couple hundred dollars might save you a few thousand later.

Other things you can look for:
1) Pull the plugs, see how they look.
2) Ask for any maintenance records
3) Jack up the trailer wheels, pull/push tires to check the bearings. Check tread and look for any weather checking.
4) Last time pump bearings where greased, and by whom?
5) Impellor / wear ring clearance.
6) Impellor damage
7) Impellor bearing grease

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nope, it's easy to do and you can go buy a compression tester or one of your local auto parts stores may let you use one.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
That is a pretty clean looking boat! Looks like it was taken care of. If you can water test, I would. Compression test is always a good idea on any motor driven item be it a car, boat whatever after about 10 years old. You tube using a compression tester. Super easy. As stated above, check and see how easily the clean out plugs come out.

Fastjet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Check everything and check again just bought same boat from friend it did start when they brought It over sound good next day I turned steering wheel it was froze two bad cables changed them then control cables shot too now won’t start drained gas changed filters god knows when changed hope you’re better luck than mine