• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

First time out (new to jet boats)

Stischendorf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Picked up our new jet boat (2015 Yamaha sx210) in January and finally got it in the water this weekend. It was a beautiful 72 ( which for WI this time of year is warm, check out the water temp in the pic) when we had it out on the water. I had a Glastron with an outboard before this. I was a little worried about the low speed handling. I have the cobra fins and they helped but I was most surprised by how different the jet drive handles in reverse. Anyways here are some pics!
20160417_113826-320x240.jpg FB_IMG_1460938215081-320x237.jpg FB_IMG_1460938188434-320x237.jpg FB_IMG_1460938180134-320x426.jpg 20160417_113817-320x240.jpg
edited by txav8r to show full images

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya reverse is a little different. Take a little time away from the dock and just so slow speed maneuvers to get muscle memory on how the boat acts.

Congrats and that is some chilly water o was complaining about out 72 degrees here in South Florida.

What lake are you on? We were out on the chain o lakes today (just over the boarder in Illinois). Don't know what our water temp was. It was cold but not terrible by way of touching with my arm. Did your lab get in? Our golden went in a bunch of times and seemed not to care 1 bit about water temp.

In regards to driving in reverse, I found it easiest to control by steering the front of the boat to control the back. Meaning, while going backwards if you want the boat to turn to to the left, steer the boat so the bow turns to the right. I played around with it out in open water to get a feel for it. It's fun practicing.

Congrats on joining the world of jetboating! I did a year ago and can't imagine not having a jet. You'll be able to venture many places those with a prop cannot go.
Good luck with figuring out how the low speed handling works, it takes a little bit of time and some patience but you'll be a pro in no time.

What lake are you on? We were out on the chain o lakes today (just over the boarder in Illinois). Don't know what our water temp was. It was cold but not terrible by way of touching with my arm. Did your lab get in? Our golden went in a bunch of times and seemed not to care 1 bit about water temp.

In regards to driving in reverse, I found it easiest to control by steering the front of the boat to control the back. Meaning, while going backwards if you want the boat to turn to to the left, steer the boat so the bow turns to the right. I played around with it out in open water to get a feel for it. It's fun practicing.

I boat on the Petenwell flowage. Practicing- my son got a kick out of throwing the boat fendersits into the water so I could practice get right next to them. I also found some docks out that I pulled up the to. But when I went to docker by the launch to retrieve I had wind fighting me and I wasn't used to that as my other boat was smaller and had a lower profile. All will come with practice but I feel like I went from a seasoned boater back to a novice ;).

The wind is going to provide some excitement from now on. But you have the best attitude. It will come to you.
Congratulations and hope to meet your family this summer.

Hey I was wondering for everyone who boats with dogs, what do you do for them to climb back inside the boat easily? Oh, and I like hearing about all the new boating adventures too! I am planning a Hammond Marina Indiana to North Point Marina Wisconsin trip to get used to the long boat time and large waves preparing for Bimini. It's a 50 mile one way trip! Super Excited about this. I'm thinking about the 1st weekend in May?

Congrats @Stischendorf on a great first day out. I was just in the Midwest the last few weeks and it wasn't anywhere near 72 deg ;). So hopefully the weather will stay nice through summer.

Hey I was wondering for everyone who boats with dogs, what do you do for them to climb back inside the boat easily?

I've seen a ramp type setup that people use; one of the guys on here has an awesome video of his dogs just launching off the boat and coming back up. I always have a life jacket on our dog; the jacket has a handle which I use to just pull him up....makes it a little difficult sometimes since he's 100lbs but he doesn't jump out too much.

I've seen a ramp type setup that people use; one of the guys on here has an awesome video of his dogs just launching off the boat and coming back up. I always have a life jacket on our dog; the jacket has a handle which I use to just pull him up....makes it a little difficult sometimes since he's 100lbs but he doesn't jump out too much.

Thanks, I've seen the ramps too, but wondered what everyone is doing or what options are available!

Thanks, I've seen the ramps too, but wondered what everyone is doing or what options are available!
We use this one. http://www.petclassics.com/Water-Ramps-Steps/dog-on-water-ramp.29.html

We LOVE it. Our golden got use to it in just 2-3 swims. The can basically swim into the netting and the walk onto the swim platform.

We first bought load a pup which I think is the one used in the video mentioned above . http://www.amazon.com/Load-A-Pup-Bo...TF8&qid=1461112905&sr=8-1&keywords=load+a+pup
I could not ever get that one tight. Plus I had to get in the water to put it on. The dogs could not see it, because the thing they need to climb on is under water. Just sucked for us. But then again, it works for others. So, we spent more on the dog on water ramp but could not be happier.

We use this one. http://www.petclassics.com/Water-Ramps-Steps/dog-on-water-ramp.29.html

We LOVE it. Our golden got use to it in just 2-3 swims. The can basically swim into the netting and the walk onto the swim platform.

We first bought load a pup which I think is the one used in the video mentioned above . http://www.amazon.com/Load-A-Pup-Bo...TF8&qid=1461112905&sr=8-1&keywords=load+a+pup
I could not ever get that one tight. Plus I had to get in the water to put it on. The dogs could not see it, because the thing they need to climb on is under water. Just sucked for us. But then again, it works for others. So, we spent more on the dog on water ramp but could not be happier.

Thanks for the info! I wanted to plan ahead and see what everyone is using for the pet family members!

Very nice, welcome to the team. Ho do you like the Dragonfly and where did you mount the transducer?

Very nice, welcome to the team. Ho do you like the Dragonfly and where did you mount the transducer?
I haven't really used the fish finder yet other than the first time out. The navigation seems to work well. I placed the transducer next the the starboard jet housing between that and the part of the hull that comes out in the middle. Sorry I don't have pics and the boat isn't in my driveway. I think I get some noise on the display when in neutral because the water is diverted in reverse and foward. When I'm moving forward the display seems fine.

Back