• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First time out

MrSelfdizstruct75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I took my boat out for the first time this past Friday. Here are my thoughts.

1. Even after ingesting all the info on this boat I could before buying I still have a lot I need to figure.

2. Steering is really an adjustment for me. Its hard to let the boat just sit as it wants to move.

3. Docking and getting it off/on trailer is going to be interesting until I get used to the controls.

4. OMG why cant I get the RPM's to match and stay matched. I have the left throttle a quater inch farther than the right to match the RPM and speed.

5. Yeah forgot to lock the clean out caps in place floated in the dock area till I figured that out. SMH

6. Nosed into the dock coming in as the reverse did not pull as quickly as I thought it would.

All and all I really liked the boat and enjoyed my day out. Practice makes for better boating.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I took my boat out for the first time this past Friday. Here are my thoughts.

1. Even after ingesting all the info on this boat I could before buying I still have a lot I need to figure.

2. Steering is really an adjustment for me. Its hard to let the boat just sit as it wants to move.

3. Docking and getting it off/on trailer is going to be interesting until I get used to the controls.

4. OMG why cant I get the RPM's to match and stay matched. I have the left throttle a quater inch farther than the right to match the RPM and speed.

5. Yeah forgot to lock the clean out caps in place floated in the dock area till I figured that out. SMH

6. Nosed into the dock coming in as the reverse did not pull as quickly as I thought it would.

All and all I really liked the boat and enjoyed my day out. Practice makes for better boating.

Great report of your first run.

One piece of advice for all new jetboaters: Go out alone (or with understanding guests) and practice low-speed maneuvers in quiet areas away from traffic and hard objects. That's not usually something you can do with the pressure of a bunch of guests looking for a good time on the water. Set aside dedicated time for practice. Find the maneuver that worries you the most and practice it until you get it right. If you neglect a skill then you're going to need that skill at the worst possible moment.

I still do this every spring just to refresh. I won't claim we have launching and loading down to a science (because Murphy hates a bragger), but I feel like we're light years ahead of some of the other operations I've witnessed at the pier.

So just be better at what you do than the guy launching/loading at the next pier and you won't draw any attention. :cool:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad you had some fun!

#2 The gate adjustment by design is slightly off. The gate and lever can be adjusted and the boat creeps forward slightly when in "neutral", but if you adjust the gate to make the boat still when at neutral, the gate does not open all the way when forward... so the slight creep forward is a design compromise. It's a jet boat and there is not transmission, so the boat is always pushing water no matter the position.

#4 is pretty normal, but once you feel confortable with the boat, you can fine adjust the throttles so they match. I don't have your same boat, but I think it's easy to adjust for your model. It's an analog and digital system with 2 engines and 2 accelerators with different cables pulling different electronic modules in the engine bay..so there is a big analog component. It's quite normal to adjust the throttle levers to get the RPMs to match.

#6 Never go faster that at the speed you are willing to hit the dock, because sometimes you will. It's OK. Live and Learn. If you get a docking hook you can get near the dock and then pull yourself in, but docking is the most difficult maneuver. As you say, practice will make it better.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lol. My first yami was a 190 which was ten times worse as far as keeping it from spinning while sitting. Try using the no wake (TDE) settings, may help, you can move the throttles forward and reverse without coming off of it.

If you are like me you will not enjoy peaceful cruising until you get the @Ridesteady !!!
It electronically matches the rpm, it’s fantastic.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh, and to help prevent forgetting the clean-out plugs and the drain plug: One of the first things I do at the launch after I remove the cover is ask myself "Is the boat waterproof?" I refuse to perform any other task on the boat until I can answer that question "Yes, it's waterproof."

In the old days that simply meant putting the drain plug in but now it also means putting in the clean-out plugs. (No, the boat won't sink without them, but if you file them in your brain under "hole in the boat" it helps - you'll do them both at the same time.)

why_fly_high

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did the same thing last Monday. First time out with my 2015 AR240.

I feel the same way. I have been running PWC's for a long time so kind of know what to expect with the handling but still alot more weight and thinking ahead.

My plug and clean out caps went in at home when heading to the lake. Then checked them again when I got the lake. Checked them again when I detached the rear straps on the trailer.

I could side slide the PWC right up to the dock turning and hitting reverse. Pretty sure I can do it with the boat too but will just take some practice.

I had more trouble than I thought getting the boat off the trailer. I think the ramp was a little shallow. I had both trailer wheels submeged and still had to have the tahoe rear wheels in the water and a bake bump to barely get it off with the engines in reverse. Again, glad we had the ramp to our self.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Spraying your bunks with a generous helping of silicone spray turns them into magical slippery carpet...don't untie the boat too early, or it will slide off.... Spray it on right before you retrieve the boat next time and you will surprised how easily it glides off in the future. may last 1/2 a season to a season per application.

MrSelfdizstruct75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Spraying your bunks with a generous helping of silicone spray turns them into magical slippery carpet...don't untie the boat too early, or it will slide off.... Spray it on right before you retrieve the boat next time and you will surprised how easily it glides off in the future. may last 1/2 a season to a season per application.
Oh good advice. I'll do that

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
lots of tips to be found here. I seem to get a lot of completments on manuevering my boat around in coves and at the dock from out board boat guys always seem to be amazed at what our boats can do.

when i am manuvering around a cove or coming up to the dock I put it in No Wake mode and its a lot of back and forth with the controls.. open gate close gate open gate close gate, sometimes working forward and reverse. main thing is to anticapate where the boat is going to go- IE spinning the wheel right or left ahead of time rather than too late. as for docking i like to crab walk the boat in same methad as mentioned above. open the gate close the gate while turing the wheel back and forth.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

3. Docking and getting it off/on trailer is going to be interesting until I get used to the controls. Where did you go to ? Arcadia? If so use the 15th street ramp. It will help block some of the S wind. You have a little cross wind there.

see comment in blue. We are at arcadia most Fridays after ski season.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did the same thing last Monday. First time out with my 2015 AR240.

I feel the same way. I have been running PWC's for a long time so kind of know what to expect with the handling but still alot more weight and thinking ahead.

My plug and clean out caps went in at home when heading to the lake. Then checked them again when I got the lake. Checked them again when I detached the rear straps on the trailer.

I could side slide the PWC right up to the dock turning and hitting reverse. Pretty sure I can do it with the boat too but will just take some practice.

I had more trouble than I thought getting the boat off the trailer. I think the ramp was a little shallow. I had both trailer wheels submeged and still had to have the tahoe rear wheels in the water and a bake bump to barely get it off with the engines in reverse. Again, glad we had the ramp to our self.
15th st or 2nd st Ramp on Arcadia?

why_fly_high

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We were off of Second. The one to the west is still closed for the season. We had to use the east ramp of of second. We live 5 miles north of the lake so second seemed easier unless the ramp off 15th is better.

15th st or 2nd st Ramp on Arcadia?

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Go with the wind and tide to help you get to the dock. You will never be able to go against it with a jet boat. I walk my boat on the trailer to prevent possible mistakes

Stischendorf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I played a game to help me get used to the handling. I had my 8 year old son throw in a fender into have water and then I would maneuver over to it and pick it up. Just make sure you don't have a rope attached to it. You don't want to suck up a rope.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dont feel bad i have almost 175 hours on a jet boat, went back to FL this past weekend, pick her up from the shop after getting the pump Housings replaced, backed her down the trailer put it forward and about lost my shit thinking its real broke. Nope forgot the cleanout plugs were pulled out.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We were off of Second. The one to the west is still closed for the season. We had to use the east ramp of of second. We live 5 miles north of the lake so second seemed easier unless the ramp off 15th is better.
15th is better in my opinion. You don't have to contend with the wind as much. 2nd Street the wind pushes you in to the ramp.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
when i am manuvering around a cove or coming up to the dock I put it in No Wake mode and its a lot of back and forth with the controls.. open gate close gate open gate close gate, sometimes working forward and reverse. main thing is to anticapate where the boat is going to go- IE spinning the wheel right or left ahead of time rather than too late. as for docking i like to crab walk the boat in same methad as mentioned above. open the gate close the gate while turing the wheel back and forth.
Our salesman recommended this to us and it works great. Basically just coasting and only bump it into forward or reverse for a second when you need to steer. Just turn your steering wheel before you bump it in forward or reverse. I came from an outboard and docked without issue in wind on my first outing.

And as you found out, reverse for “braking” doesn’t work nearly as well as it does with a prop. Knowing that just approach everything slowly. Again, coasting and only bumping in and out of “gear” to steer helps keep your speed down too.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The biggest advice I give to new jet boat owners is you have to be proactive with your steering.. dont wait for the boat to react.. this is while docking... cruising.... entering a cove... all of that. Steer early and be ready for a counter steer... but once u get it down and u make that boat dance on the head of a pin in a crowded cove or marina all the other boat owners will be like... whoa!

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

If you put both throttles in full forward there is two throttle cams in the engine compartment with stops that you can adjust to equal them out. It’s easy and you just need two 10 mm wrenches I think. That’s what I had to do.