• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Time Purchase

phancy_phil

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am finally in the market for a jet boat. This will be my first boat I owned too. Other than me taking out a 21' Sea Ray out in Cayuga Lake last week in upstate NY, I do not have much experience other than being a professional passenger. I live only 5 minutes from a boat slip on the Delaware River so that would be my primary use. I would also like to take it out in the bay during the summer too since I'm 45-60 minutes from the Jersey Shore.

I was originally looking at this listing which i know is mostly geared towards river use. There is no interior pics but he did sent me some and it looked to be in pretty good shape. He originally had it posted at $6000 and now down to $5000

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/boa/5754790594.html

But since I took the sea ray out and came across this one and seems like a pretty good deal. B/c it was nice to have the room. Almost too good of a deal and I do realize it does not come with a trailer.

But do you feel like is appropriately priced for this boat?

It is only my wife and 13 month old son but I would like to take our families out too so something that seats 8-10 people is now more ideal that the smaller 18'

http://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/5804127517.html

Thanks for any information you might have. And Im super jealous at all the newer boats I see on here. Gotta start somewhere

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome Phil, I live right near the finger lakes, beautiful area...

I don't know much about those boats so maybe someone else can chime in.

I went with a new boat because I didn't want to break down on the lakes and deal with issue.

That boat doesn't seem like it is going to hold more than a few adults, again, maybe someone else can chime in.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum @phancy_phil. The SR230 is the stripped down version of the SX230 which many of us do or did own. That being said it looks like the current owner attached several items that didn't normally come with the SR model. The bimini & carpeting were added at least. This would be a good first boat assuming the physical and mechanical conditions are in line or better for its age. Make sure the clean out plugs come out easily and take it for a ride. The engines should throttle up smoothly and the engine compartment should be dry at the end of the test. The SR & SX models had plastic scupper valves below the water line so check to see if he changed over to the stainless steel scupper. If not we can advise you on that.

You should check our user map to see if someone is near you that may be willing to go look and or test drive it with you. There is a lot of experrience on this board.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
after reading Gym's I see that you listed two boats lol, I only looked at the seadoo. The yamaha for sure looks more like what you are looking for. The seadoo looks to small

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would go with the 2nd of those two options every time. Would be curious to know what he had done to the engines....post if you get that info.

As others have said, a sea trial is important, and if you can find a forum member near you willing to assist they can help identify any issues you may not notice.

Those seats look to be pretty worn....and depending on the stitching might begin to split....something to be aware of....not critical, but can cost you.

If the engines run great and this is a starter boat for a few years....looks like a good way to get into boating.

No trailer is a downside..

Would also be interesting to hook those engines up to #YDS and see if they have any errors and the number of hours.

REM835

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Definitely skip the Challenger. I traded mine for a Yamaha. You can still get engine parts but nothing else unless you get lucky on eBay. It's a two stroke and if it has 89 hours on original engines I would be very wary of it. Those were made to be run and if not the internals deteriorate, crank seals especially from sitting. It is an extremely fun ride though but will beat you up with an 13 month old. Without a doubt I would recommend the Yamaha.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Wow! Maybe he bought the 230....the ad has been taken down. Good luck on your search. Also check the classified ads here for boats.