• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First timer looking to buy a 2012 SX190

Aleenoor

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi all,
I have never owned a boat before. I am looking to buy a used 2012 sx 190 with 60 hoirs from a smaller local dealer. Can you guys please guide me as to what to look for ? The cosmetic condition of the boat looks good I side and out. It was registered in Virginia.

I am fairly handy mechanically when it comes to cars.

Thanks for ur help.

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice low hour boat, Give it a lake test and see how it runs.
Should run out at 40+ MPH.
I just got a 2013 with 50 hours from a private party seller for $16K.
It was such a clean rig I didn't even lake test it, thankfully everything was perfect,

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They are great boats that look awesome fit in mosts 2 car garages With enough power to have fun and pull tubes With one or two kids like any other 19 foot bow rider in its price range it will not like rough chop. The jet power is what controls steering( along with the steering wheel) and that takes time to learn and practice to master. The engines are well built and will go beyond 800 hrs if serviced. Its a good boat if you like yamaha 190s. I love my boat.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine is my first boat. I was surprised how much of my experience with automobile engines transports directly to the boat. Sure there is some stuff about the pump and fiberglass, but the engine is exactly the same. So do what you would do if you were buying a used car. Inspect the plugs, smell the oil, measure compression on the cylinders, inspect for oil leaks. Now, what you didn't know to look for, perhaps: Check the cleanout plugs to make sure the ports open/close freely; check the impellers for nicks and how chewed up they are; check that the bilge pump works; check in the compartments for evidence of water intrusion; check for loose things, like towers, cleats, hatches. Yes, you can hire a professional surveyor who will check all of that and more and give you a pretty report. But these are relatively simple boats...

Aleenoor

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks all, the dealer is asking 17,500 for it which is NADA retail if I am not mistaken. What all should I look for during the lake test ?

Aleenoor

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, how much does a typical boat surveyor charge and where do you find these guys :)

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
During lake test, you will check for leaks and see how the boat handles. Does it accelerate well? Odd noises (clanking, vibrations, etc.)? Do the engines run well (reference your automotive experience here again). If it stalls and won't start or sinks, don't buy it. :)

Surveyors: Google 'marine surveyors'. Also might check BoatUS. Sorry; don't have a lot of magic on that one. Never hired one.

Aleenoor

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks all. So upon inspection, it looks like boat has salt water use. Should that be a huge concern. Engine does show a lot of corrosion.

SX190_1.jpg SX190_3.jpg SX190_4.jpg SX190_2.jpg SX190_5.jpg SX190_7.jpg

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks all. So upon inspection, it looks like boat has salt water use. Should that be a huge concern. Engine does show a lot of corrosion.

View attachment 85615 View attachment 85616 View attachment 85617 View attachment 85618 View attachment 85619 View attachment 85620
Doesn't look too bad... Those rusted clamps need to be replaced for sure. Does the cleanout plug come out easily?
Any pics of the impellers/wear rings?
Did you have a chance to water test?

For the right price I would certainly consider this purchase. The one pic of the stern/hull looks very clean, and so does the pump albeit it is hard to tell just looking at this pic. How does the sacrificial anode look (on the side of the pump)? Are the cables/throttle/steering moving freely?
Can you inspect spark plugs?

--

FJRmann

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
if you purchase the boat, change the oil and spark plugs.

The fittings that have surface rust can be lightly wire brushed and protected. any of the hose clamps that are rusted should be replaced.

how does the interior look? from the look of the pictures looks like the boat sat outside a good bit. any covers included with the purchase?

Aleenoor

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
00Q0Q_7yJ6ZEBXzlw_1200x900.jpg 00101_aIu5srrL1QZ_1200x900.jpg SX190_6.jpg SX190_10.jpg 00c0c_d0No3S6Iqum_1200x900.jpg 00101_4TgoKSvYOFK_1200x900.jpg

Interior looks clean, did not get to water test it. This one is out of town so planning a trip there on a weekend.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks good! Hope it works out for you.

I had the same boat, 2012 Sx190. Loved it. Mine had a couple of mods though, lol.
These boats are like great canvas - easy to mod!
upload_2018-12-6_0-7-31.png
upload_2018-12-6_0-9-43.png

--