• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fishfinder Flush Mount with Wedge?

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Before I start cutting holes in this new boat ...

I plan on mounting a Garmin Striker Plus 9sv or similar sized fish finder. My only concern is being able to easily read it. One option is to mount it with a wedge that angle the bottom up a bit so that is easier to see.

Or, has anyone flush mounted their unit and find it easy to read?

Thoughts?

Rich NW Jboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I put in an Axiom 9 and it is fine, I have no complaints. Front mount, not flush

If I lived in a perfect world, it would have a wedge on the right hand side tilting it toward the driver a bit.

Mike Courterier

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just dash mounted a Lowrance HDS-9 and the angle seems fine to me at 5'10"... if you're 6'6" it would probably need to be kicked up a bit at the bottom.

IMG_5568_2.JPG

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just dash mounted a Lowrance HDS-9 and the angle seems fine to me at 5'10"... if you're 6'6" it would probably need to be kicked up a bit at the bottom.
Where did you move your clarion stereo to? I was thinking about how and where to mount a VHF radio today.

Mike Courterier

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In the cubby to the right of the glove box... I used a piece of the dash I cut out for the Lowrance as a backer for the Clarion because the cubby is plastic.

IMG_5571_2.JPG IMG_5573_2.JPG IMG_5570_2.JPG

Mike Courterier

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
FYI... the Standard Horizon GX1700 is a bit boxier than a standard VHF radio so it's height was enough to cover the 3" diameter cutout that the clarion was installed in. I don't think a standard VHF radio will fill the hole.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Very nice. I was thinking of putting the VHF radio there instead of the stereo. It pretty much just stays on 16 when I am out and about. The extra backing is definitely something I will be doing.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I mean, I was thinking of putting the VHF in the cubby.

Mike Courterier

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I thought about doing that as well, however the GX1700 has a GPS receiver top left (as you look at it) that needs to be exposed, so I had to do some rearranging.

It will work nicely as a backup GPS and is able to transmit Distress location on it's own without wiring in a GPS feed.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Mike Courterier What did you use to cut out the hole for your GPS? I usually just use a jigsaw. The material does not seem that thick, so I was thinking a medium to fine blade would work well.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Very nice. I will probably pick one up. Seems like it would be easier to cut odd shapes if needed.

Mike Courterier

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
LOL... I just noticed the empty beer bottles in one of the photos... that was required before I drilled the first hole.

justamon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My 190 is being delivered to me. I haven't seen it up close yet. I had the dealer install a 7" Simrad multi screen, and purchased a Simrad RS20 radio. I hope I can set it up the same way. I also am not able to visualize if and where to mount the antenna and if the Multi system has an antenna or equivalent to connect the radio. Any help understanding this would be appreciated. I might be installing the radio on my own, and would probably save me from a mistake or two. I have the tower for accessories.

JollyRoger57

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I added the 9” SIMRAD Go 9” in mine