• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fishing Boat Addons!

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Today I started the install of my fishing platform. I plan on adding a trolling motor and fishing seat too.

FISH ON! (...well soon enough, LOL)

Need to paint white and add padding around the edge. Then I''m adding a trolling motor to finish it off.

I am very excited and looking forward to this mod.

20170129_162959.jpg

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Next step, place for 6 rods. Im drilling holes daily on my boat. Still scary, but getting easier.

I may add wing nuts to make them removable if needed.... we'll see.

20170131_175906.jpg 20170131_175856.jpg

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I like the rod holder idea. Always a mess when taking a few people out fishing currently. Can you post up a link to them?

Definitely get some padding on that board! I was going to suggest just wrapping it in carpet (like for subwoofer boxes) but if you want it white, that may not work for you. Good idea though there which I may have to steal :D Definitely want to do some more fishing this year. I am so bad at it though that I sometimes do not even try.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like the rod holder idea. Always a mess when taking a few people out fishing currently. Can you post up a link to them?

Definitely get some padding on that board! I was going to suggest just wrapping it in carpet (like for subwoofer boxes) but if you want it white, that may not work for you. Good idea though there which I may have to steal :D Definitely want to do some more fishing this year. I am so bad at it though that I sometimes do not even try.
Here is the link to the rod holder. They came with stainless steel screws (about 1/2 inch long I think). I used the crews for installing one and I bought SS screws and wing nuts for another install so I can remove the rod holder by the seat in the back of the boat.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/33274620

About the padding, I bought some pipe insulation from Lowes and will use that as padding (pictures to follow). The pipe insulation has adhesive built in, but I also will be adding caulk adhesive to keep it in place.

Finally, I bought Plasti Dip to 'paint' the board. We'll see how that works tonight.
https://www.amazon.com/Performix-11203-Multi-Purpose-Coating-Aerosol/dp/B0006SU3QW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485983773&sr=8-1&keywords=plasti+dip

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Ahh shit, those are cheap. About damn time something is cheap that I do on this thing :D

Just ordered a casting net for shad and a small bucket aerator to keep em alive. Hopefully I can get out and catch something. If the Plasti-dip does not work out, you might want to check out a coating. You can get marine non-skid coatings in white (something like the spray in bedliner for trucks) that would probably work very well and hold up as well as provide a good footing.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ahh shit, those are cheap. About damn time something is cheap that I do on this thing :D

Just ordered a casting net for shad and a small bucket aerator to keep em alive. Hopefully I can get out and catch something. If the Plasti-dip does not work out, you might want to check out a coating. You can get marine non-skid coatings in white (something like the spray in bedliner for trucks) that would probably work very well and hold up as well as provide a good footing.
The Plasti Dip was crap.....

Only way to get white is in the spray paint can. I went back to Lowes and got Flex Seal and it works great. It's a little tough to spread, but I was not looking for a perfectly smooth finish since I want traction. This stuff really is liquid rubber. A lot of the other coatings don't come in white; at least that's what I found in my quick search.

Below is the casting deck with the pipe insulation as padding also installed. It's all still drying so I'll know more tomorrow when I can walk on it.

20170202_152244.jpg 20170202_162734.jpg

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Nice work! What's your plan for mounting a trolling motor? Mount to the fiberglass or build some sort of mount to attach to the deck you built?

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice work! What's your plan for mounting a trolling motor? Mount to the fiberglass or build some sort of mount to attach to the deck you built?
Thanks!

Another Jetboater linked to a thread on yamahajetboaters and it looks like a solid mount with good planning and materials.

imagejpg3.jpg imagejpg5.jpg

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very nice!

I am an avid fisherman. In the past, I have tried convincing my wife to let me build a platform similar to yours but she always strikes that down. For now, if I go fishing I borrow my Uncle's 17' bass tracker. One thing I have noticed over the years is that if we are in shallow water and have the outboard up out of the water the ass end of the boat is very quick to swing around in the wind when we are using the trolling motor. Do you have any plans to keep the back of your boat planted as you use your trolling motor?

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First, originally I planned to build a box attached to the casting deck and mount the trolling motor to that so I didn't have to do anything crazy to the boat. After I found the mounting method pictured above I really want to do it this way. The guys says is sturdy and works great. He did get some slight spider cracks in the gel coat, but I plan to counter act that but adding more support and possibly some better rubber grommets.

Either way, we will see. I am waiting for my taxes to come back to buy the trolling motor.

I did not think about the issue of the back of the boat swinging around. I have only used a trolling motor on my friends 16 foot bass boat and another friends 22 foot pontoon. I suppose there will be learning and some trial and error. Possibly I could through out a drag anchor of the rear end when I use the trolling motor?

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IT IS DONE

I can set it up for fishing when I want or remove the casting deck, chair and trolling motor and family boat.

20170307_190707.jpg

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
How has this worked out? Does the boat swing out on you or track fairly true? Really could use a trolling motor for bass fishing ;/

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The boat tracks pretty good. I did discover 1 very big problem. The casting deck does not seal to the deck. I took some nasty waves over the bow and the water got between the casting desk and the bow hatches. this allows the water to go straight to the engine. I need to redesign the casting deck to seal the hatch openings so this does not happen. Also I need to find a way to attach the casting deck to the hull. Right now gravity holds it down and that's not perfect. Mostly the changes needed are just for when boating on rough seas.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The boat tracks pretty good. I did discover 1 very big problem. The casting deck does not seal to the deck. I took some nasty waves over the bow and the water got between the casting desk and the bow hatches. this allows the water to go straight to the engine. I need to redesign the casting deck to seal the hatch openings so this does not happen. Also I need to find a way to attach the casting deck to the hull. Right now gravity holds it down and that's not perfect. Mostly the changes needed are just for when boating on rough seas.
I doubt you'd be able to seal it well....what if you just put it at a bit of an angle so the water flows to the back of the platform then onto the deck floor vs into the open seat tops? Perhaps route some thin groves to direct the water that way....or just a raised edge?

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I doubt you'd be able to seal it well....what if you just put it at a bit of an angle so the water flows to the back of the platform then onto the deck floor vs into the open seat tops? Perhaps route some thin groves to direct the water that way....or just a raised edge?
Ya ,I thought of the angle idea too. My boat is still at the shop getting a new engine from the above mentioned "took a lot of water over the bow" LOL

I'm also going to make and cut a much more accurate, better fitting, template when I make the new casting deck.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ya ,I thought of the angle idea too. My boat is still at the shop getting a new engine from the above mentioned "took a lot of water over the bow" LOL
Having them add a high water alarm while they are at it?! Where did you take it? Chatlee?

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having them add a high water alarm while they are at it?! Where did you take it? Chatlee?
Yes, Chatlee has it. The new motor is coming on a boat from Japan. The boat arrives in port May 8th. Fingers crossed I get the boat back soon, I want to go on the May 20th Cooper River Run.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

I'm also going to make and cut a much more accurate, better fitting, template when I make the new casting deck.
Eric, I'd like to hear more info on your water over the bow causing damage to you engine. I understand that if water gets too high on block it can get inside, but how did your bilge not pump it out or scupper drain it? I had one instance where I took a lot of water over the bow. I was heavily loaded with 10 ppl on board, 4 in front. Un-recognized at the time, this made my bow really low to water. I mistakenly turned into my own wake when coming to a stop. Large amount of water came over the front, drenched my passengers then all flooded to rear floor area above fuel tank. I probably had 4-5" of water at the back floor. It slowly drained through scupper. My bilge came right on and ran for maybe 5 minutes. I didn't open my engine hatch, but now hearing your story is making me wonder how close I was to engine problems. Any additional details would be appreciated.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Eric, I'd like to hear more info on your water over the bow causing damage to you engine. I understand that if water gets too high on block it can get inside, but how did your bilge not pump it out or scupper drain it? I had one instance where I took a lot of water over the bow. I was heavily loaded with 10 ppl on board, 4 in front. Un-recognized at the time, this made my bow really low to water. I mistakenly turned into my own wake when coming to a stop. Large amount of water came over the front, drenched my passengers then all flooded to rear floor area above fuel tank. I probably had 4-5" of water at the back floor. It slowly drained through scupper. My bilge came right on and ran for maybe 5 minutes. I didn't open my engine hatch, but now hearing your story is making me wonder how close I was to engine problems. Any additional details would be appreciated.
My theory is that the bilge was either not on due to my mistake in not turning it on or it was not operating properly. Those are the only two options I can fathom. I know the bilge works since when I looked back at one point and it was not pumping I turned it off and back on and it was fine. In all the confusion of the issue I don't recall if the bilge was on or not when I noticed no water was coming out of the bilge output port. I fully plan to install a float switch style bilge hard wired to the battery to make sure this never happens again. Also, I am certain I will be hyper vigilant about making sure the bilge is always on.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Eric Ballard did you end up redesigning this?

I am planning to do this same thing. Hopefully this weekend.

With the 2019 I have the hinged seats upfront, so plan to use the hinges to secure the platform to the boat.