• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fishing Rods, Reels, downriggers, gear and a refit of a1985 Whaler for fishing

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I will start by saying I started fishing as a youngster in the 60's. I had a little Zebco as a kid and fished where ever I found water for brookies to bullpout. I later upgraded to Shakeapere rod with Mitchell Garcia spinning reel and have used spinning reels since. We stopped by Dick's Sporting goods today and I wanted a rod/reel package I could troll with and bought this 7'6" Okuma classic pro rod with a Okuma Magda pro reel with a line counter. Going to rig with 20# monofil and a dipsy diver to get the lure down to the fish. Trying to bring up some Lake Trout, Atlantic Salmon and Walleye from the depths of the lake.

What do you guys use for gear and how do you rig it? I know there are plenty of guys trolling for fish here. Oh, and pictures of your catch, or it's just another fish story.

20210618_173337.jpg

Last edited:

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
93CE7006-F38C-47EA-8E7A-EC9FDC978DE5.jpegI just started fishing and I have some different type of penn reels. I am yet to successfully catch anything trolling but I use ballyhoo bait with skirt I saw on YouTube. I also use different size Yo-zuri crystal minnow artificial trolling lure. Hope someone can share tips and tricks here

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@zipper
I had a dozen of those with 8’6 rods for trolling on Lake Michigan for salmon and trout.

I would bump up to 25# line (dipsy) a rubber snubber then 8’ of fluorocarbon.
Make sure that screw that keeps the weight on that dipsy stays tight..

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@zipper
I had a dozen of those with 8’6 rods for trolling on Lake Michigan for salmon and trout.

I would bump up to 25# line (dipsy) a rubber snubber then 8’ of fluorocarbon.
Make sure that screw that keeps the weight on that dipsy stays tight..
Thanks for the tip. That information is consistant with a couple of youtube video's I watched about fishing on Lake Erie. The guy spray painted the snubber and his green dipsy flat black. He used 30# braid, dipsy, snubber then 20# for the leader. I will get another roll of line today as I am trying to find a dipsy at a local store. Dicks had none.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anybody use scents on their lures? Garlic and Anise are supposed to draw them in.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I always ran the weights on my dipsy’s with max sideways pull to get the lure down AND away from the boat. Also had red and green dipsy’s appropriately set to their sides of the boat.
I’m not sure if y’all use flasher/fly set-up , if you do I would run a mini flasher. There‘s enough weight hanging off that line with the dipsy.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Picked up a Dipsy Diver and snubber yesterday. Going to look for a flasher and a fly today.

20210620_083541.jpg

20210813_070022.jpg

I have been viewing videos of setting them up for different species. This guy has some good info.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I mainly troll while fishing lakes. I have an assortment of 7 rods on my boat courtesy of my friends that range from some limber poles to much firmer ones. Three of the rods have Pflueger 40 series reels on them with 10# braid, I also have three extra spools with 20# braid on them if I’m targeting lake trout. These rod / reel set ups have double duty as trolling rigs and spin cast. I also have a small fenwick rod with a 20 series Shimano reel that I bought in the late 80’s at big 5 that was on sale, I’ve caught a ton of fish with that set up, lately it has served well at jigging for walleye.

One of the stiffer rods has a Newell conventional with 20# test. Just rebuilt two 50 year old Penn Jig Master 500 conventional reels, 2/0 size, that were my Dads (I remember when he bought those reels-yikes) and a 50 year old Penn level wind that my Dad bought me when I was about 8 or so. The 2/0 reels got 40# braid and will be mated to a couple of very nice rods dedicated for trolling for the big lake trout, rainbows, browns and salmon. I also have a early 80’s Diawa conventional that got 40# braid as well.

For lures, the most successful one is a Storm brand, smash shad in blue color-I’ve caught everything from bluegill to 35” Northern Pike with these lures. I’ve also used the same lure in a bronze color that has a black back which also catches trout, but seems to work great for small mouth bass. The other really good lure is an old school spoon in a blue / silver color. Recent additions have been some Salmo lures that are racking up a lot of catches, so far the Dalmatian and black one with gold stripes are doing best with a crawdad colored one doing okay as well. I caught a really nice 4.5 pound rainbow a couple of days ago casting off the boat with the black / Gold Salmo.

Most of the time while trolling I run a long and short line set up, this has been very successful catching trout and Northern Pike. I have two Cannon Unitroll 10 down riggers that I have used a few times, so far with no success, hopefully that will change soon! I got a pair of rod riggers the other day to widen the spread a bit and those seem to work pretty good, caught several on those yesterday.

I’ve had up to 6 rods out while trolling, I put the deep divers closest to the boat and in the vertical rod holders in the transom, then stagger the rest as far as distance from the boat and depth, using the other 30° rod holders for separation- pretty exciting with four people on the boat and triple hook ups! Chaos but it sure puts a smile on your face!
502F2880-B428-4EBC-ABCC-A227B01C6CDB.jpeg
A41B57D8-4C89-47EA-B8A4-0EB11F179080.jpeg

7A3A7466-9C06-4629-86EE-D8070B599A21.jpeg

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I mainly troll while fishing lakes. I have an assortment of 7 rods on my boat courtesy of my friends that range from some limber poles to much firmer ones. Three of the rods have Pflueger 40 series reels on them with 10# braid, I also have three extra spools with 20# braid on them if I’m targeting lake trout. These rod / reel set ups have double duty as trolling rigs and spin cast. I also have a small fenwick rod with a 20 series Shimano reel that I bought in the late 80’s at big 5 that was on sale, I’ve caught a ton of fish with that set up, lately it has served well at jigging for walleye.

One of the stiffer rods has a Newell conventional with 20# test. Just rebuilt two 50 year old Penn Jig Master 500 conventional reels, 2/0 size, that were my Dads (I remember when he bought those reels-yikes) and a 50 year old Penn level wind that my Dad bought me when I was about 8 or so. The 2/0 reels got 40# braid and will be mated to a couple of very nice rods dedicated for trolling for the big lake trout, rainbows, browns and salmon. I also have a early 80’s Diawa conventional that got 40# braid as well.

For lures, the most successful one is a Storm brand, smash shad in blue color-I’ve caught everything from bluegill to 35” Northern Pike with these lures. I’ve also used the same lure in a bronze color that has a black back which also catches trout, but seems to work great for small mouth bass. The other really good lure is an old school spoon in a blue / silver color. Recent additions have been some Salmo lures that are racking up a lot of catches, so far the Dalmatian and black one with gold stripes are doing best with a crawdad colored one doing okay as well. I caught a really nice 4.5 pound rainbow a couple of days ago casting off the boat with the black / Gold Salmo.

Most of the time while trolling I run a long and short line set up, this has been very successful catching trout and Northern Pike. I have two Cannon Unitroll 10 down riggers that I have used a few times, so far with no success, hopefully that will change soon! I got a pair of rod riggers the other day to widen the spread a bit and those seem to work pretty good, caught several on those yesterday.

I’ve had up to 6 rods out while trolling, I put the deep divers closest to the boat and in the vertical rod holders in the transom, then stagger the rest as far as distance from the boat and depth, using the other 30° rod holders for separation- pretty exciting with four people on the boat and triple hook ups! Chaos but it sure puts a smile on your face!
View attachment 154048
View attachment 154049

View attachment 154050
UM...what is up with this guy, LOL. I don't have one of those in my tackle box, but I am not a master baiter yet either.:muted:

20210813_073318.jpg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thought this may be interesting for some of you. Tomorrow night at 7pm.

20210819_060951.jpg

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Dusting off this one now that we are putting downrigger(s) on our new to us 1985 Boston Whaler Outrage 18/19, depending on the year you bought. With a Yamaha 115 2-stroke. The LOA is 18'6". Anyway, we recieved one of the downriggers today. It will replace the old downrigger mount partially obscured by the guide pole.

20220713_205033.jpg

20220713_204005.jpg

View attachment 182644

20220713_203916.jpg

Let the build begin...the T-top arrives later this week.

I wanted a Rage... 1995 Boston Whaler Rage 15'
but the wife had an Outrage...on mind.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Dusting off this one now that we are putting downrigger(s) on our new to us 1985 Boston Whaler Outrage 18/19, depending on the year you bought. With a Yamaha 115 2-stroke. The LOA is 18'6". Anyway, we recieved one of the downriggers today. It will replace the old downrigger mount partially obscured by the guide pole.

View attachment 182645

View attachment 182642

View attachment 182644

View attachment 182641

Let the build begin...the T-top arrives later this week.

I wanted a Rage... 1995 Boston Whaler Rage 15'
but the wife had an Outrage, on mind.
Nice! That’s the tournament series!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice! That’s the tournament series!
Thanks, now we are looking for a Lowrance elite or a Humminbird helix fishfinder/chartplotter. Having to desipher a lot of information.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks, now we are looking for a Lowrance elite or a Humminbird helix fishfinder/chartplotter. Having to desipher a lot of information.
Right on… if you can swing it, go with the Solix.. better graphics and touch screen..

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Right on… if you can swing it, go with the Solix.. better graphics and touch screen..
Nice, but a couple K North of what we are wanting to spend. FWIW, the Lowrance Elite FS 9 is touch screen. It is not 3d like our Axiom 9 and rv200 transducer.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A couple of mods came in.

The T-top.

9080994D-ABC0-4F87-8558-C7A352C1F9E0.jpeg

A new original 72 qt cooler that came back in 1985. I know there are better, but Willow wanted to make a padded seat cushion for it. Snaps come installed.

88297DCC-24DD-46EE-97F1-642AE9017C9A.jpeg

And the Lowrance Elite FS 9” with 3 in 1 transducer.

EAA345D8-06EB-4F37-BEB2-642F825E3DEE.jpeg

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Finished the T-top yesterday. just need to string the canvas.

1EC3B1B7-5D91-4FC3-BC3D-A41C73822084.jpeg

A2F412D9-313A-4D99-A410-1D9495D74E62.jpeg

A847ABF3-0CD7-4A9E-BA1E-E64565E9A594.jpeg

I had to retrieve the 5200 from the freezer, next to the blueberries.

B55ED7D2-2161-44F1-9858-E2F671E56994.jpeg

Chamfer the holes

FAFA904F-0C4F-4299-BA30-40753E7EB038.jpeg

Last edited: