• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fishing with Alligator

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I mean seriously, I would probably stroke out.....

Do you think the alligator is fast enough to get out of the water and up the culvert to grab someone? Looks like a decent size one.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You'd be surprise how crazy people here in florida (to me at least), couple of years ago we were at everglades national park and bunch of people launching canoes and kayak and you can see gators 30 ft from the launch site. Made me cringe lol but apparently there is no known case of a kayaker getting attacked by gators, I still wouldn't dare do it lol.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I go kayaking and canoeing with gators all the time. It comes with the territory here in Florida. Most of the time the gators want to stay away from you and I've only had one instance where a gator was aggressive and I couldn't scare it off. I just paddled away from it and gave him some room. I do have someone that I work with that was bitten on the foot by an alligator while kayaking but he was dangling his feet in the water. Definitely not a behavior that I would endorse. I'm more worried about water moccasins than alligators though. If you're looking for a reptile to be worried about, they are the top of my list!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
In the south, if there is a body of water you assume it had alligators. Most southerners learn to peacefully coexist with gators.

It's not until you reach the northern or western part of North Carolina that the weather is too cold to be a natural gator habitat.

Yet another reason we have decided to retire in the mid-atlantic. 😃

Jim

zackmorris

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm way more concerned with dangerous amoeba in warm stale bodies of water than alligators. Usually people only get bit when doing stupid things like messing with a nest or babies. (Sometimes unintentionally)

Don't splash around near shore when it's dusk and you'll be fine.

A local lake has one of the densest populations of alligators in the state (Which most likely makes it the most in the world). I won't go on that one.:p

You'll probably see more gators golfing in Florida than when you're on a lake. The rivers will definitely have more activity though.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
People from out of state seem to think you see alligators like you see birds around here. I never see them. Though the local putt putt place has about 50 baby gators.

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I see alligators all the time. There was a decent size gator (5 or 6 feet) in the pond right by the school when I dropped my kids off this morning. They are in pretty much every body of water in my area which is about 3 miles from the St Johns River.

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I see alligators all the time. There was a decent size gator (5 or 6 feet) in the pond right by the school when I dropped my kids off this morning. They are in pretty much every body of water in my area which is about 3 miles from the St Johns River.
Nope, no thank you.

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
As others have mentioned, gator attacks are pretty rare and most of the time can be avoided with a little common sense. I wouldn't swim in gator infested water, especially in the spring when the males are territorial, don't mess with nests or baby alligators or you might have to deal with momma gator. I don't sit there with my hand in the water reviving fish either. If they are being released they are on their own. The thing I worry about most is getting one caught in a cast net. I get nervous sometimes when cast netting shiners that there could be a submerged gator. I'd hate to be tangled up with this guy with a rope wrapped around my wrist.
20201221_143740.jpg

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't fear the gators that you can see! Just a part of life down here but almost all gators are harmless until provoked.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
A bunch of my family lives in FL, and we used to canoe all the time in rivers. My brother and his friend fell out of there canoe with a 15 foot or so gator like 10 feet away. Never went back again...lol

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So you are saying we should fear the gators we can't see?
Yes. If you are near a body of fresh water in South Florida, you can assume there is a gator lurking somewhere. They like the element of surprise so one must be vigilant. But once they are seen there is minimal risk unless you are a dumbass.