• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fix for leaking flush caps

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My flush caps started to leak last season, and although a couple of table spoons of water finding its way to the deck drain is no big deal, it bothered me because they shouldn't leak.
I decided to try to fix it. I assumed that buying new caps would just get me back to where I am now, so I decided to try something, and it worked.
I trimmed the outer circumference of a garden hose gasket so that it fit into the cap. Works perfectly! Sorry, no pic, but I think that you get the idea.
If you're anal about keeping water on the outside of your boat, then this is a really easy fix.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mine leak some times and when they do I just take the flush adapter and cycle the spring in the receptacle (not sure what in the hell they are called) and tighten down on the cap hard. Gonna try your trick, did you buy a thinnest garden hose gasket that you could find.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine leak some times and when they do I just take the flush adapter and cycle the spring in the receptacle (not sure what in the hell they are called) and tighten down on the cap hard. Gonna try your trick, did you buy a thinnest garden hose gasket that you could find.
@ripler , as for most of my fixes, I walk around my garage looking around to get ideas of ways to fix. I was originally looking for a piece of gasket material that I knew I had "somewhere" and eventually spied some spare/used rubber hose washers. I used the thinnest and softest ones that I had on hand. Once inserted, they were flush with the inner ring in the cap if that helps.
Before the hose washer fix, giving the caps an extra tightening initially corrected the problem, but they eventually started leaking again. I didn't want to over tighten and cause more problems.
I'd estimate that my gasket/rubber washer was about an eighth of an inch thick, and I shaved off less than a sixty-fourth of an inch around the outside.