• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fixing the 242x Ballast system.....

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Finally I am taking the steps to make the 242X perfect for me. Like everyone knows putting 3 high volume pumps in line with one intake is a major flaw. Even the 212x has 2 thru hulls for its ballast system. Any ways here is what I am doing I have ordered 2 more thru hull fittings and I am going to install them on the flat right above the articulating keel. I am going to use one for just the port ballast bag pump and the other for my transom bag fill pump. I have most everything on order and I will post pictures as I progress.

So far tonight we have taken the port bag factory hose off and the flow rite fitting out. I will then plug it with an NPT fitting.
20190618_203735.jpg

I have also mounted my transom bag pump and drilled and mounted my quick connect hose port.

20190618_203559.jpg

20190618_203650.jpg

Last I have made up my quick connect hose for the transom bag.

20190618_203720.jpg

More pics to come as parts come in.....

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes!

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is that the WakeMakers premium hose for the quick fill port? I used that for my integrated bags, but was afraid it would be too stiff for the fill port. I'm just using the clear hose that came with the tsunami pump right now, but its not stiff enough and kinks easily, so I'm going to replace it.

ilangtry

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Finally I am taking the steps to make the 242X perfect for me. Like everyone knows putting 3 high volume pumps in line with one intake is a major flaw. Even the 212x has 2 thru hulls for its ballast system. Any ways here is what I am doing I have ordered 2 more thru hull fittings and I am going to install them on the flat right above the articulating keel. I am going to use one for just the port ballast bag pump and the other for my transom bag fill pump. I have most everything on order and I will post pictures as I progress.

So far tonight we have taken the port bag factory hose off and the flow rite fitting out. I will then plug it with an NPT fitting.
View attachment 97181

I have also mounted my transom bag pump and drilled and mounted my quick connect hose port.

View attachment 97182

View attachment 97183

View attachment 97184

What connectors did you use for the transom fill connection? Love this idea.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is that the WakeMakers premium hose for the quick fill port? I used that for my integrated bags, but was afraid it would be too stiff for the fill port. I'm just using the clear hose that came with the tsunami pump right now, but its not stiff enough and kinks easily, so I'm going to replace it.
It is @Scottie ,I had it laying around. Just an fYI, I can get the same hose if you need.

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You’ll be ready for the new event at the Shelbyville gathering. The “Timed Ballast Fill/Drain Contest”. :)

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What connectors did you use for the transom fill connection? Love this idea.
So down below I am using the flow rite fitting that came out of the factory manifold and it just so happened to thread right into the fitting that I have up top.

PT Coupling Basic Standard Series 10A Polypropylene Cam and Groove Hose Fitting, Poly A-Adapter, 1" Adapter x NPT Female: Camlock Hose Fittings: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

This is the fitting that is on the hose. On the other end is the flyhigh quick connect fitting.

* EDIT* Whoops forgot to post the other part.

PT Coupling Basic Standard Series 10C Polypropylene Cam and Groove Hose Fitting, Poly C-Coupler, 1" Coupler x Hose Shank: Camlock Hose Fittings: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

@Scottie used these fitting first and I really liked how they lock on.

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Edit above for @ilangtry . A link for the other connection.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 97181

View attachment 97182

View attachment 97183

View attachment 97184

The pumps in the wet compartments are a no brainer, they don;t get hot and if something gets lose it won't flood engine comparment.
keeping it simple is the key! I am looking forward to your testing, want to know the best ballast setup for regular side surf!

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Made a trip to Lowes after work and the UPS guy brought me th rest of my goodies!

20190626_172932.jpg

So I quickly got to installing everything. Drilled my holes for the thru hulls.

20190626_172945.jpg

Then I ran the wiring for the pump while I was waiting on the wife to get home from work. This is the best place I could think of for a temporary switch placement for this weekends water test. It is out of the way and will not get bumped by accident.

20190626_191211.jpg

20190626_191314.jpg

Once the wife got home we installed the thru hulls and then the ball valves. I hate 8200. It may not look the best but everything is sealed.

20190626_191046.jpg

20190626_191255.jpg

Finished the ballast hoses and I just have to reinstall everything tomorrow.

20190626_202817.jpg

20190626_202845.jpg

20190626_202850.jpg

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Made a trip to Lowes after work and the UPS guy brought me th rest of my goodies!

View attachment 97974

So I quickly got to installing everything. Drilled my holes for the thru hulls.

View attachment 97975

Then I ran the wiring for the pump while I was waiting on the wife to get home from work. This is the best place I could think of for a temporary switch placement for this weekends water test. It is out of the way and will not get bumped by accident.

View attachment 97976

View attachment 97977

Once the wife got home we installed the thru hulls and then the ball valves. I hate 8200. It may not look the best but everything is sealed.

View attachment 97978

View attachment 97979

Finished the ballast hoses and I just have to reinstall everything tomorrow.

View attachment 97980

View attachment 97981

View attachment 97982
I should really consider flipping my pumps the way you have them mounted. I accidentally bumped the switch on the ski locker ballast while crossing lay weekend and obliterated the impeller... it would be so much easier to access the impellers with the pump end above the motor... I just wasn't sure if that was taboo...?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should really consider flipping my pumps the way you have them mounted. I accidentally bumped the switch on the ski locker ballast while crossing lay weekend and obliterated the impeller... it would be so much easier to access the impellers with the pump end above the motor... I just wasn't sure if that was taboo...?
You probably shouldn't, not a taboo but the whole idea with mounting those pumps the impeller head down is to prevent water intrusion, a slow leak, into the pump body. With the head down your pumps will live longer. Or so they say! lol.

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have had those style pumps mounted on 2 boats now and I have never seen them leak. I have had to change impellers and that is why I mounted that other pump like that. Plus the 3 in the engine compartment came like that. I find it nice to just have to pull off a cover instead of an entire pump to replace the impeller.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
3M 5200 is very hard to make “pretty” but that is also one of the main reasons why it works so well - it spreads!

That said, mine are prettier!!!:p
6215BB4E-79A4-4DC9-B573-015090D4DF10.png9AC18BF7-3F5F-408D-92BC-657ECDAE90BB.png1490B96D-2178-4492-892C-B93D2CD26591.pngCF4909B9-D887-4FCE-B175-9916F534D810.png

I'm making progress, but it is a LOT of work.
I will start a new thread when I'm a bit more advanced and when I know it's working.

I finished what I think was probably one of the most taxing and stressful jobs I have ever done on any boat (and that includes transom rebuilds). I installed the intakes/drains. Very happy with the results, I will fill in the details - there is a lot to it.
Here is just a quick pic or two of the finished product:
(outside - right over the "rudder")
View attachment 53817

View attachment 53818

(inside - I'm gonna need a chiropractor, lol)
View attachment 53819

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I noticed that there seemed to be a bit of back pressure on the pump after filling the custom bag with air and then pumping water into it because the tiny hole in the threads on the air plug was not allowing enough volume to escape vs. the amount of water volume being pumped in. I drilled that hole through to the other side of the threads with a 7/32 drill bit. Did not time it but bag seemed to fill a bit faster after doing that and certainly had less pressure but enough to keep its shape. Perhaps that had already been covered but figured I would share.