• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fleet week San Francisco 2018

Jeremiah

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone done this before? I can’t seem to find any resources on this. I’m an inland boater, what do I need to go in the bay?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe @Ronnie has boated the Bay and might be willing to share some insight.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a link to one thread on it. Don’t let my first statmemt deter you.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/am-i-the-only-jbn-forum-member-that-boated-to-fleet-week-in-sf-bay-this-year.3838/

What do you need? A Healthy respect for Bay, everyone on board to wear a life jacket, oh and if you find yourself in my situation, to be cool under pressure. Alternatively, just don’t F up.

Seriously, if you get to the boat ramp and the water is already to rough for you, call off the trip and watch it from shore instead, the water only gets rougher as the day goes on IMHO anyway. I launched out of San Leandro by the way. I found the public Oakland ramp but it was in a sketchy area.

Jeremiah

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a link to one thread on it. Don’t let my first statmemt deter you.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/am-i-the-only-jbn-forum-member-that-boated-to-fleet-week-in-sf-bay-this-year.3838/

What do you need? A Healthy respect for Bay, everyone on board to wear a life jacket, oh and if you find yourself in my situation, to be cool under pressure. Alternatively, just don’t F up.

Seriously, if you get to the boat ramp and the water is already to rough for you, call off the trip and watch it from shore instead, the water only gets rougher as the day goes on IMHO anyway. I launched out of San Leandro by the way. I found the public Oakland ramp but it was in a sketchy area.
Do you set anchor when you find a spot? Do I need to get a radio?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you can find a spot near the shore but I trolled the whole time. Parts of the bay are deep, longer than my anchor line.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No need for a radio you will have plenty of other boats and first responders around you.

mvilimek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First, is anyone going out to Fleet Week 2018?

Second, thoughts on launching?

We used to go all the time with the smaller 17' aluminum hull outboard equipped bay boat. Haven't gone out in 15+ years in my own boat, just in bigger boats which kinda stink for many reasons. Back then we launched out of San Leandro, but other forums say it is pretty run down and super sketchy now-a-days. It wasn't great back then either, but I used to go there it was with a ghetto OJ Bronco and a crap trailer so no one would look twice. Also, folks have said that they haven't dredged the 2 mile long channel in 12+ years. That it gets down to 2 feet in the channel at low tide which is at 5:49PM on Sunday. Chart says 5-7 feet, but they say don't trust it.

So looking at other choices to launch out of.
  • Encinal looks even sketchier than San Leandro as there is nothing around the launch.
  • Grand Street almost never has parking, much less on Fleetweek.
  • So that leaves Berkeley Marina. Haven't been there since the late 90s.
  • Oyster Point. Never launched out of there. Looks nice on the maps.
Thoughts?