• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Florida Harris Chain to the ocean!

Brent Compton

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Growing up in Central FL I have heard stories my whole life about being able to get to the ocean from the Harris Chain of Lakes. When I finally upgraded the old lake boat to my 2017 AR210 I realized I had the boat capable of making such a journey. My brother and I left our boat house on Lake Dora at 7:45am on Friday and set out on our adventure. The goal was a 3 day trip with stops in Jacksonville and ending in Port Orange FL were I had the trailer waiting to pull us out.

Day 1 was suppose to be ~ 100 miles and get us to palatka Fl. We successfully made it through the first lock to navigate lake Griffin then onto the Ocklawaha river. The second lock was a bit of an issue as Moss Bluff lock was closed for repair and had not posted anything on the web about it so we were unaware till we arrived. Just when we though our trip was ruined a fellow boater with a center console bay boat heard our story as he was putting his boat in the water on our side of the lock. He agreed to transplant us with his trailer to the other side and saved our trip. We then thought it wise to call the last lock up river (Rodman lock) to make sure they were open. It was 11:45 am when we learned they close at 2pm. Needless to say we had about 70 miles of water to travel in 2 hours. Fortunately we navigated the narrow waters of the Ocklawaha river successfully and made it through the last stretch of water which was scary as hell due to all the tree stumps just under the waterline in the Rodman Reservoir. Needless to say for never having navigated these waters the lock operator was impressed we made it before closing. We locked through into the saint johns river and headed to fuel up at a marina I had scouted prior to the trip in Palatka. Unfortunately the marina wasn't much of a marine and they didn't have fuel. We decided to push north and hoped we would find fuel on the way to Jax. Finally we found fuel on flemming island just as we were running out. Having made such great time we decided to push onto Jax before nightfall. We arrived in downtown Jacksonville at the "Landing" right as the sun was setting. We tied up and enjoyed some hooters food/beer and the nightlife before putting up the cover and camping on the boat.

Day 2: With 170 miles traveled we awoke at sunrise without headaches (probably because we were still drunk) and pursued mimosas at the local Hyatt breakfast bar. We then walked the landing only to find it was deserted in the mornings. We decided to finish the first part of our trip and head to the ocean. Fortunately the seas were less than 1 foot as we cleared the inlet and traveled about a half mile offshore. We celebrated the accomplishment with some boat made mojitos and spent the rest of the day enjoying Jax waterways and the friendly boaters on St. George Island. That night we docked in the marina across from Jax landing and topped off our fuel tanks before going out on the town.

Day 3: We departed Jax around 8:30pm and proceeded down the intercostal waterway to Daytona/Port Orange. It was a beautiful ride with a stop in St. Augustine during the blessing of the fleet event. Unfortunately due to the event the marina was closed so we couldn't enjoy St. Augustine but we did get our boat blessed so not a total loss. We continued down and made great time to Dunlawton boat ramp in Port Orange were we pulled the boat out of the water.

All said the trip was 3 days, 327 miles of water way, 137 gallons of fuel, 100 beers, couple bottles of liquor and 100 pounds of ice. What a blast!!!

Attachments

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This sounds like a crazy/exciting trip!!!
Ive been spending the last 20 minutes on google earth trying to plot your route... seems incredible!

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That sounds like a great time and an awesome adventure! Do you have any more pictures of the journey up the river?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This sounds like a crazy/exciting trip!!!
Ive been spending the last 20 minutes on google earth trying to plot your route... seems incredible!
I was thinking the same thing.....I have a very general idea of where you are referring to...but thats about it! LOL

I couldn't even see a way out of Lake Dora! (which for those of you wondering...is like 20-25 miles NW of Orlando)

Brent Compton

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I get home this evening I will post more pics.

Last edited:

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
that's crazy it only took 3 days

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a great trip. I had a bunch of crazy boating trips when I was younger, not so much anymore lol. Glad to see you guys keeping up the status quo.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What a trip. It’s def way more involved than I could even plot out last night.
Like oh Julian, I couldn’t get out of Lke Dora. Lmao.

Brent Compton

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here are some more pics. On one you can see the separation of the water from silver river (silver springs) and the dark water of the Ocklawaha. And yes one of the pics is of a type of drawbridge that they had to raise up for us to pass under. I never thought I would own a boat that needed that but unless your in a kayak the train bridge had to be raised.

Its now time to plan the next trip. Thinking Daytona beach to Keys that way I can say I traveled all of the FL intercostal.

Attachments

Aneura

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for sharing!! Makes me want to venture south on The Saint Johns River.

Waterjetset

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I had no idea that could be done. I wish they would have finished the trans Florida barge canal. Imagine the possibilities then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Brent Compton That's a crazy nice trip. Been out by you a few times. Love pulling up to Puddle Jumpers and eating lunch. Wanna try Hurricane's next trip nd see how their wings stack up.

I've been trying to put together a trip up Silver Spring to see the monkey's before they get rid of them but now you got me thinking about going further.

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow!!! You guys are awesome!!! I want to go from jax to Sanford so this is a huge motivator. Great job thanks for sharing.