• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Florida relocate question

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So, those of you that live in Florida ... what made you decide to live on the Gulf side over the ocean side - or vice versa?

My family has vacationed since my childhood to Ft Myers Beach annually. My wife and I were in St Pete’s Beach recently and got to wondering why we don’t live in FL.

Is boating different on one side over the other? Beaches different? I have no experience with the Eastern part of the state. (And very little experience with the gulf side outside of Ft Myers ) Jobs different? Demographics different (snow birds on one vs other)?

Thanks for a little insight. I’m not sure if we are actually considering this... but starting to wonder, if a person wanted to retire there and nothing is holding you down... why wait till retirement to live closer to paradise?

Edit: or any relocate south, actually. What was your thought process in determining where to go? How did you go about finding a job, before moving? Tks!!

Last edited:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I grew up in New England and moved down to Florida in 1989 (30 years, wow! goes by quick) for a job (still at that same job). Accepted the offer, sold my house in Seekonk Ma, moved to Clearwater, Fl. and never looked back. We now live in St. Pete. Love it here; one of the best moves I ever made. We traded snow life for water and boating.
As far as East Coast verses West Coast, I feel the East Coast side is very commercialized (more tourist, cruise ships, etc.). They're also more prone to hurricanes. Knock on wood, we have not been directly hit. We have had better luck than them.
Not sure if I answered your question, but we raised two successful boys (now 25 and 26) and wouldn't change a thing. Funny, neither one lives in Florida; one in Atlanta and the other in Boston. I know they'll be back...:winkingthumbsup"

Last edited:

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think you have your coasts switched around.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 gulf has "prettier" water. St Pete area is amazing for boating I lived there for summer growing up (tarpon springs) it was a blast. Bunch of good places to live on bothsides.

I believe st Pete area and south water stays in mod 70s year round.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm in Tampa because the Man told me to move there. Anyway, no experience with the Atlantic side, but the Gulf does have clear water. Tampa Bay is very murky and tends to have bigger waves, but very convenient.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm also thinking about relocating because all my family left for Palm Beach County, Florida. It's down to only my mom and I here in NY. NYC has its merits, but the rising cost of living, deteriorating infrastructure, and terrible climate has me wanting to sporadically leave.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’m a chicken when it comes to these kinds of life changing events. More than the move, I’m nervous about changing jobs.

Having been in the workforce 22 yrs, I’m only working for my 3rd employer. I’ve had a few position changes within. But, this feels unheard of when I look at a lot of my college friends.

Just don’t like change, I guess. Even though every one has been positive, so far.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m a chicken when it comes to these kinds of life changing events. More than the move, I’m nervous about changing jobs.

Having been in the workforce 22 yrs, I’m only working for my 3rd employer. I’ve had a few position changes within. But, this feels unheard of when I look at a lot of my college friends.

Just don’t like change, I guess. Even though every one has been positive, so far.
Interesting. I've passed on a few jobs for this very reason. My parents however have been all over the dang country. Vegas, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, Macon, Jacksonville, and now near Champaign, IL. Spent my childhood in New Mexico while my dad was chasing work, moved "home" to KY, and haven't left since.

Hell we moved 20 miles away to the other side of town, and into Indiana. Some of our friends won't come visit us now because we're "Way over there in IN"......dude, it's seriously like 4 miles further from your house to my new place than my last place, WTF? He still doesn't cross the bridge.

We're in a great school system now, so we'll be here another 18yrs or so until the youngest gets out of high school. Once he's out, we are too. Definitely headed south to somewhere with clear water and more sunny days than not.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Send out some resumes, be patient, and do remote interviews via webcam. Then take some extended vacations there to really get a feel for it. My friend suggested to visit during the Summer so you can see how hot and humid it can be.

I'm 29 years old in 2 weeks and I had 9 different jobs. I was a janitor, automotive mechanic, laborer, BIM coordinator, and an engineer. Even did some freelance CAD work while in college. I can easily adapt to different living situations. Probably most people can once you remove that paralyzing fear.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Probably most people can once you remove that paralyzing fear.
There's a lot of truth behind that. New Englanders are home grown and typically never venture out.

I say "Don't forget to Live!"

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@veedubtek @Mainah

You guys have mentioned here that you recently migrated south. Anything you can add regarding your decision making?

@Mainah what led you to S Carolina over farther south?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you want input in atlanta its great. We actually live about 40min north of the city of Atlanta in a smaller town. We are within 30min of whatever we would need, however, all of the weekly shopping needs are within 10min or so.

I am 30min from lake lainer as well. We will start pulling the boat over to lake in March to cruise and eat at some of the restaurants. Late april early may water is swimmable and stays that way through sept.

4.5hr to Charleston 4.5 to hilton head 6 to gulf coast and 5.5 to Jacksonville.

We are here due to owning small business but at some point plan on getting small place along gulf somewhere as well.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, those of you that live in Florida ... what made you decide to live on the Gulf side over the ocean side - or vice versa?

My family has vacationed since my childhood to Ft Myers Beach annually. My wife and I were in St Pete’s Beach recently and got to wondering why we don’t live in FL.

Is boating different on one side over the other? Beaches different? I have no experience with the Eastern part of the state. (And very little experience with the gulf side outside of Ft Myers ) Jobs different? Demographics different (snow birds on one vs other)?

Thanks for a little insight. I’m not sure if we are actually considering this... but starting to wonder, if a person wanted to retire there and nothing is holding you down... why wait till retirement to live closer to paradise?

Edit: or any relocate south, actually. What was your thought process in determining where to go? How did you go about finding a job, before moving? Tks!!
Don't do it stay up north there is nothing in Florida worth worth moving for.

Jeesh if you all keep trying to move there all the property will be gone by the time I can get down there.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I suspect I would miss my 2acres and outbuilding for the toys. Course, might not need quite as many toys either.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I suspect I would miss my 2acres and outbuilding for the toys. Course, might not need quite as many toys either.
You can easily grab 2 acres if you stay further away from the water, 40-45 minutes.

However, don't move here. We have enough people lol.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Back in 2010 I was living in the northern panhandle of W.V. and was sick and tired of the cold, so we headed south - made it as far as N.C. (best job offer all things considered at the time). 8 years later, we were still cold, so we made sure to do it right this time. Simultaneously decided it was time to do my own thing, so that made location a bit easier. We fell in love with the small town feel of P.G. here, don't really care for many of the big cities. No experience with the east coast, my limited time there has always seemed dirtier I guess. We're only 60 days into it so far, but we're completely infatuated with all of it. 88 today and sunny, and it seems like that's just what it is every day. I can deal with the heat, I can't stand the cold. I'll never move back up north. We were boating sunday. We'll be jet skiing this weekend. No regrets.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@veedubtek @Mainah

You guys have mentioned here that you recently migrated south. Anything you can add regarding your decision making?

@Mainah what led you to S Carolina over farther south?
There were lots of factors for us. In reality would have been better job wise for us to be daily commute distance to Charlotte or Atlanta but those areas were just too busy for our liking. We hadto be within a few miles of a large lake. Also had to be within a few miles of a top notch high school for academics and wrestling with a large grocery store in that few mile radius too (we are spoiled as telecommuters). 4 such towns on three different lakes in SC fit that bill along with being a couple times a month commute distance to Charlotte. We also knew that both of my brothers would end up in SC for different reason as well. I did not like the east coast of Florida (too busy) and we did not travel to the west coast.

My one big tip would be to travel to many areas for more than just a few days each. We did it while doing college tours with our oldest over a period of two years on partial working vacations as both my wife and I work remotely anyway.

Funny thing is that the town we ended up in was never on our list. In fact the whole area was on the bottom of the list as far as visting to check it out. @Andy S can take credit for suggesting we check out the town we now live in. When we did it just fit us.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can easily grab 2 acres if you stay further away from the water, 40-45 minutes.
can you give a couple of examples in terms of location and estimated damage to our savings account ?....

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I live smack in the middle(Orlando) we go boating west for sand bars and islands 3 rookers Anclote caladessi et , down to fort de Soto, Ana Maria, etc, warmer waters and clearer, when we go east usually stay in the inner coastal, Sebastian sandbar, Disappearing Island, peanut Island , Haulover in Miami etc. water is a bit colder and darker outside the inner coastal. Then you have the St Johns river 1hr ride up to the springs. So basically plenty of choices in either coast. me being in the middle I don't get stuck in either one and when I don't want to drive far, the only lake I go is The Butler Chain up to Bird Island, is only a 20 minute drive for me. I work in JFK and get to go home and boating or dirt biking and away from the artic tundra that being up north lately