• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Florida Scallop Season - Tips, Tricks & Advice Needed!

dragonfire6

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all - I'm located in central Florida and I'm planning to take my family scalloping in the coming weeks. I've never been and would appreciate any tips, tricks, coordinates, etc. from experienced scallopers (??) so we have a good time.

I'm currently looking at VRBO's between Tarpon Springs and Crystal River so info specific to that region would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not an expert, only a one-timer. I went last weekend out of Hernando Beach and learned these lessons:

1) Scalloping is inherently in weedy waters, prepare to pull weeds out
2) Suntan for your back as it is the target of sun rays as you snorkel
3) Ice your scallops
4) If it's your first time snorkeling in the Gulf, be prepared for remora, giant sea turtles and stingray
5) It's a great family activity, get snorkels for everyone!
6) These are bay scallops, not the type you see in Gordon Ramsey's dishes. Bay scallops are small marshmallow sized, need a lot to feed an adult.
7) 2 gallons per person, up to 10 gallons per vessel - bring your children!!! I used Home Depot buckets to measure and then the cooler included with the boat to store on ice.

Overall, a very easy and enjoyable activity that we are planning to go again either this weekend or next.

dragonfire6

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info! We are going this weekend and I'm firming up a VRBO tonight. It will be me, my wife and our two boys (5 & 2).

I think we'll be staying a little more south also - possibly around Hernando beach. My 5yo will be stoked if we see anything - fish, a stingray or a turtle will blow his mind. I just got him a full face snorkel that he was testing out today in the pool and he is doing pretty good with it. Maybe we'll see you out there!

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My children are 8, 6 & 3. We're still deciding if we're going to Anclote Island or scalloping, maybe both?

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info! We are going this weekend and I'm firming up a VRBO tonight. It will be me, my wife and our two boys (5 & 2).

I think we'll be staying a little more south also - possibly around Hernando beach. My 5yo will be stoked if we see anything - fish, a stingray or a turtle will blow his mind. I just got him a full face snorkel that he was testing out today in the pool and he is doing pretty good with it. Maybe we'll see you out there!
1. Plan to head north for scalloping. 10-15 miles of easy riding
2. I'd plan to hang at the flats after scalloping. You'll easily see 200 boats anchored in 2'-4' of water hanging out on the north side of the Hernando beach channel.

If you're still around Sunday we'll be out there. Don't be shy