• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Flush Port Replacement

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, what began as an early start to my season slowed down rapidly due to the weather turning south and a flu bug in the house. Nonetheless, I managed to get back at it and get a few things done.

The first project was to replace the OEM flush ports that leak like a sieve.

The project began with trying to figure out exactly what the heck I should replace them with. So I started out here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/so-which-one.3728/#post-63409

And wound up going with these:

For the boat: HFCD16635 Valved Panel Mount Hose Barb Coupling Body 3/8 ID Barb - Single
Part # HFCD16635

For the Hose: HFCD221035 Valved In-line Hose Barb Coupling Insert 5/8 ID Barb - Single
Part # HFCD221035

I actually bought two of each. I figure the one on the hose stands a good chance of getting smacked into something so it will be nice to have a spare.

Now, as mentioned in the thread linked above, the problem is that the new fitting for the boat is bigger than the old one. You may recall that I cut/trace things with roughly the same talent as Charlie Brown, so I always get nervous about these things.

I knew a hole-saw wouldn't work to make a bigger hole since there would be nothing to guide the center bit. But a hole-saw of the correct size would make a good template to trace:

Instead of the drum sanding attachment, I went with the roto-zip attachment in my Dremel tool (a Sears Craftsman Dremel knock-off that has lasted over 20 years of abuse by the way) and got as close to the line I traced as my not-so-steady hands would allow. I wore a cartridge-type respirator and held the vacuum close by to gather the dust.

(Picture is simulated as I didn't have enough hands to do the job AND take the picture! :p)

The biggest pain in the rear was crawling halfway into the compartments to get the Stainless Steel hose clamp on the things because they were too big to fit through the holes.

Funny thing about that. I was working my way into the Starboard side compartment when I felt something that scared me a bit: I felt the Leatherman Tool that is always on my belt slip past the lip of the compartment and "latch" me in like a ratchet.

Keep in mind that I'm doing this work in my storage unit which is about 5 miles up the road from our house and kind of out-of-the way.

Luckily I was able to maneuver myself out of there, but my next move was to remove the tool AND my belt entirely to prevent a repeat. I don't know what I would have done if I'd have gotten stuck in there. Problaby would have had to wait a few hours for my wife to 1) notice I'd been gone too long and 2) decide I might be worth checking on :confused:. It might have been more than a few hours.

Anyway, I'm happy with the final product:

For the hose-end, I WAS going to use a SS hose clamp, but then I thought of the potential for damage caused by having that metal fitting on the end of the hose and decided I'd try a couple of zip-ties (pulled tight in a vice) first:

Update: The zip tie setup leaked. Had to go with a hose clamp but wrapped it in duct-tape to cover the sharp edges.

The green fitting on the garden-hose side is actually a valve. I probably don't really need it now since these new fittings have valves built in, but I'm going to keep it anyway.

I'm hoping to get a chance to pull her out of storage within a week or two and give this new setup a trial run.

So thanks to @Big_D for starting the original thread. I would never have found these fittings otherwise.

I'd also like to send a shout-out to Fresh Water Systems for excellent customer service. In the original shipment, they sent me the hose-end fittings and the nuts for the panel-mount fittings but forgot the panel-mount fittings themselves. I sent them a quick e-mail explaining what I received. I got an immediate apology and they Fed-Ex'd me the parts I needed right away.

Customer service is always good with things go right. The TRUE test is when things go wrong.

Stay tuned, I'll be posting up my new Depth Finder / GPS install next. That one involves filling some holes below the water-line and drilling new ones...

Last edited:

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can anyone confirm if the OEM flush fittings are valved? My port fitting started leaking like crazy with the cap on when powering up and I am thinking it may have gotten stuck partially open or somehow worn/damaged. I suspect they are since you press and turn (to lock open?) with the flush adapter. The cap would not hold back water at power and it was not visibly damaged. I am trying to decide between just trying a new cap or this mod. They always leak some when flushing but it is a real problem when it leaks when using the boat on the water as it drains into the engine compartment. I am getting normal water flow from the pee holes.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I say do the mod. That leak while flushing will continue to get worse until it makes you nuts (mine did). I got sick and tired of mopping up water while running on the hose. This will solve both of your problems at once.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I am doing the mod. I found black (uv) fittings at United States Plastics Corp.

(1) item #061623 3/4"FGHT HFC57 PLYS N-VLVD CPL INSRT
This is a fitting that screws directly to the garden hose like my old one- no hose assembly required like other posts.

(2) item #06126 3/8"HB HFC57 POLYS PNL MNT CPLNG BODY
These are the new panel mount flush fittings

Total was $53.28 plus $10.13 shipping

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finished! Pics are the same as above but I will add that the old fitting had a hole at the bottom to keep it from spinning. I oriented the new hole to remove the hole.
IMG_1400.JPG
There is a square bump on the new fittings to keep them from spinning. Here is a photo of the corresponding notch.
IMG_1402.JPG
Here is the black fitting (uv resistant) shown with the old fitting and the new water hose connector for the new flush valve (in front).
IMG_1405.JPG
Port side.
IMG_1397.JPG

Sacamano

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
IMG_1729.JPG I love this forum. I had a leaky flush valve while running. I searched this forum, found this thread, ordered the valves, and installed them tonight. Easy inexpensive rewarding mod. Thanks @biglar155

Edit: made image full size

Last edited:

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I dislike the stock fittings, but would prefer to keep them as changing out means that you're going to a completely different system....just thinking if I ever sell the boat or it needs to go to a dealer. What is the reason that the stock fittings leak? Is there any way to adjust them or apply a gasket to make them not leak so bad during flushing?

Sacamano

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm not sure why they leak, poorly made? If you sell the boat or take it in for service, give them the hose end adaptor that matches the new flush ports.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm not sure why they leak, poorly made? If you sell the boat or take it in for service, give them the hose end adapter that matches the new flush ports.
For a brief moment I thought about replacing the ports with OEM fittings, but Yamaha wants $75 EACH....crazy. Sounds like this will be my summer mod.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
PS: I'm looking into buying these couplers. The difference between the black and the white one is that the black one is "UV-Resistant". I like the look of the white one better, but I kind of think that the black would be better suited to a boating environment, however I suppose they won't see sun that often given the fact that the boat is covered most of the time.

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/specifications/colder-hfc35-57-specs.pdf

Sacamano

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@ncnmra I thought the valves I purchased were UV, turns out they are not. As you stated it does not see sun too much and I like the looks of it better. I used PEX clamps on boat and hose adaptor. IMG_1736.JPGIMG_1737.JPG

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just wanted to offer an update after flush port replacement. The new fittings are awesome. There is zero leaking and they flow a TON more water to the engine during the flush operation. I get a lot more water out of the exhaust and a steady stream from the pee port at idle. I used to have to rev the engine a little to get water out of the pee port. I am happy to know I am flushing more thoroughly now.
IMG_1367.JPG
IMG_1353.JPG

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
#Yamaha there are some great ideas here!

dirksgoat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love this site. I purchased the following using this thread and the below thread.

Notice the top link shows $0.00 on the page. I got two of them to be able to cut current Yamaha hose and make two flushers. In check out they ring up as “free”

However I did buy the 5|8 hose barb just in case they don’t ship free ones.

I will report back. I paid 56 bucks including shipping for 2 panel mount, the 2 free, and 1 of the 5/8 hose barb.

Us plastic had them, but more expensive.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I knew a hole-saw wouldn't work to make a bigger hole since there would be nothing to guide the center bit.
Double up the hole saw bits. Put the old size hole saw inside the new properly-sized hole saw, thereby using the original-size hole saw as your pilot bit. Here's a visual to help anybody that needs to do this:

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Double up the hole saw bits. Put the old size hole saw inside the new properly-sized hole saw, thereby using the original-size hole saw as your pilot bit. Here's a visual to help anybody that needs to do this:

Well that's scookum as frig!

(AvE is awesome!)