• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Flushing mistake

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I was doing my winterization today and was attempting to flush the engine with the Saltaway mixer. I started the engine and turned on the water (or atleast I thought I turned it on). After about 2 minutes of idling I got an over heating alarm. Looked down and realized I only turned on the hose valve and not the mixer value. I shut down the engine. After a few minutes I restarted it with the water actually flowing this time. The alarm went off and everything seemed ok.

What a stupid mistake!!!

I guess my question is did I do any damage? Is there anything I should watch out for?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Probably more knowledge people will chime in, but I think you are okay since you caught it right away.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was doing my winterization today and was attempting to flush the engine with the Saltaway mixer. I started the engine and turned on the water (or atleast I thought I turned it on). After about 2 minutes of idling I got an over heating alarm. Looked down and realized I only turned on the hose valve and not the mixer value. I shut down the engine. After a few minutes I restarted it with the water actually flowing this time. The alarm went off and everything seemed ok.

What a stupid mistake!!!

I guess my question is did I do any damage? Is there anything I should watch out for?
I wouldn't worry about it at all.
When I read the title - I thought "oh, no..." - the opposite mistake running water for a while with the engine off - could be imminently worse (w/risk of hydrolocking).

These 1.8s occasionally trigger overheat even on the water, with not adverse consequences. It happened to me in the 190 a couple of times when pulling a tube - after few hard turns the engine must have been starved for water.
Stop, restart and idle (or "high idle" - no wake) for a few seconds - it goes away.

As a side note, I have a habit of idling the engines and not turning them off immediately after any hard run. Better yet - put them in the first no wake mode to increase the RPM a tad, and check the temp on the pissers, run it until it is not hot anymore, then turn off. Not sure if it is benefitial, but at least that way the engines always restart with no trouble.

--

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you shut it down as soon as the alarm went off you are probably ok I would inspect the exhaust hoses just to be sure they did not get too hot and suffer some heat damage.
I run my engines for about 30 seconds after turning off the water when flushing to get some of the excess water from the mufflers but I never increase the r p m s to blow out the water.