• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fogging / Getting Air Filter Off

Brian Filas

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I consider myself pretty mechanical, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the air filter off to spray in my fogging oil. It is such a tight fit. Spent the last 1/2 hour working it from all angles. Anyone figure out the trick?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
this video, not a member that I know of off youtube

I didn't know the 1.8l air filter were not "on" the engine like the mr-1s,

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I just did this about a month ago. I agree it was a pain, but all in all it went smoothly after I came up with a procedure.

Step #1 Remove the 6 clips holding the filter box in place. These can be a real pain to get all 6 to cooperate at the same time. Then remove the air filter. Then put the filter box cover back in place. This will give you the extra 1/2 inch you need in step #3.

Step #2 Removed the small clamp and breather hose from the large rubber pipe connected to the throttle body.

Step #3 Removed the large band hose clamp connecting the rubber pipe to the throttle body. The large rubber pipe connection can then be slid back off of the throttle body assembly. This took some hand strength and wiggling to get it backed off, but it will come off. When its off, you can slide it to the side and then finish removing the filter box.

I attached a picture below incase it helps.

Attachments

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Sorry quick update to step #1. There are 8 clips not 6.

Brian Filas

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks for all the quick replies. @dlkhmk - I had everything loosened up but it was such a tight fit I felt like I was going to break something trying to fanagle it out. @Scottintexas - So, in the second video he just shoots the fogging oil into the breather tube? Do I even need to take off the filter? Looks like the big intake heads to the cylinders, which I am going to hit through the plug holes anyway. Or should i just pull off the breather tube and shoot it in both holes (intake and tube). He also mentions that after '13 they put in fogging ports? Does the FSH have one, and I am just missing it?

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I agree it is a very tight fit. I found that the rubber pipe connected to the throttle body will compress just enough to slide it off. Like I said, it took a good amount of hand strength and I was able to slowly wiggle it back and off.

The FSH does not have a factory fogging port. Some dealers can install an after market one.

As far as the proper way to fog, I have read about 20 different posts and have seen about 20 different answers on the topic.

On my Yamaha wave runner my dealer fogged through the breather tube connection. The only reason I know that is because they forgot to reconnect it and when I went into inquire as to why, they told me that's where they fog the engine and that the tech probably just forgot. I guess they should know best???

After having mine apart I don't really see a reason why you cannot fog through the tube. There is nothing inside of it and it leads directly into the intake. I will probably just fog that way next year unless I find a reason not to.

Brian Filas

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I was learning up on Breather Tubes. Not sure it would work. The internets says it is to relieve pressure and gases that build up in the case and it also states it should have a one way valve that diverts the "left over" air/gases back into the intake to get burned up. Worried that the fogging oil will not get passed the one way valve. Looks like I will just have to man up and get that filter off. However, while it is off I plan on installing a fogging port. Googling that now.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
use the 1 inch engine breather hose coupler just behind the air box in the air intake tube , just remove, it spray in the opening once the hose is pulled out , run the engine while fogging and put the hose back when you are finished.upload_2016-12-24_21-1-54.jpeg

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wouldn't fogging oil clog the ribbon up (inside the intake), it is already a choker?

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The ribbon "filter" is in the air box you are putting oil in the tube past the air box this is the reason an 1800 engine won't ruin the ribbon if you overfill the oil and a mr1 engine will, because the mr1 crank case breather goes in ahead of the ribbon and probably why they changed the location on the 1800 engine

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Right, but I was thinking of the flame arrestor, sorry. This guy, in the intakes/throttle body:
upload_2016-12-24_21-43-39.png

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I don't see that being an issue , It is exposed to the crank case oil vapors when the engine is running and any overfill oil blowing out of the engine breather tube , so fogging oil should not be an issue for that. It is no different than blowing in fogging oil in the air box with the air filter removed .