• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

? for 190 AR or SX owners

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For folks who bought a 190 instead of a 192 or a 195, what was the determining factor(s) that made you choose the 190 over the 192 or 195?

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
For us it was a matter of function, we enjoy crusing the Tampa/Sarasota Bay area and weren't concerned about going 45 or better across the water. Also the SX fits in our garage without having to put down the wake tower everytime we go out, we are on the water at least twice a week or more weather permitting.

Wr3ckdiver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bought mine used, always wanted a jet boat since my grandparents owned a 70s Glastron with a 455 Olds Engine and Berkley jet drive. Grew up skiing behind it. I kept driving by this boat on way to work and just inquired about it. Financing was in my price range and not break the bank, plus its economical to operate. If I could have got an AR at same cost I would have...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For folks who bought a 190 instead of a 192 or a 195, what was the determining factor(s) that made you choose the 190 over the 192 or 195?
My first Yammie was a 190.
Deciding factors (at the time):
1. Range.
(I like to do long runs on a river.)
2. It was my first jet boat ever and I had no idea what I was getting into, so I was buying the least expensive new-ish YJB I could find, just to play with it and see what it does.

Needless to say, I liked what I saw, for the most part. However, I feel that I got royally screwed by Yamaha on a warranty claim(s) with my next brand new 240 - so I'm done with those bastards.

BUT

If I did want to buy their 19' right now (which I would not), I would probably only consider the 195 - because of the SVHO and the 160mm pump. Range is still an issue, but the ski locker is huge (for extra fuel jugs).

My 0.02

--

Rufusthedog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went with a new 2017 AR190, I struggled with this for months, and my reasons in summary are:

• Had to be 2016+ because i wanted the articulating keel and the clean out port on the swim platform.
    Articulating keel (and later cobra jet steering) because i want my wife to enjoy driving, and clean out port because we do a lot of water sports and ropes are down there potentially...

• Fuel costs, the 2017 AR195 needs the higher octane so that one was out; the 2016 AR192 was still in consideration. (The 192 would use more fuel than the 190 but it was at least the lower octane...)

• "Complexity" of the supercharger... for instance that ribbon delete thingy would of been much tougher with a supercharger in there. Also, i didn't want to mess with the 192 heat soak issues I have read about. It gets hot in Texas.
    There is just something nice (for me) about the simplicity of the HO 190.

• Also a negative (for me) on the 2017 AR195 - I could use the 5k price difference to go towards other things like perfect pass, sea deck, speakers upgrade, jump pack to bring on board or a second battery, Cobra Jet Steering, wake tower rack, cooler, kneeboard/wakeboard/towables. etc. it goes on and on. Oh, and you have to pay for gas. :)
  • 190 has turned out to be plenty fast enough to do water sports for us, especially with riva ribbon delete kit and riva air filter upgrade.

I must have watched this video 50 times:

I'm very happy with my decision this far.

In retrospect, I would have considered a used 2016 192 that maybe had some upgrades (especially regarding solving the heat soak issue), a 2016 190 (for the right price/upgrades), or my 2017 190.

I have however learned that with a new boat you can expect 5k of upgrades making it your "own"...

Last edited:

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies. I'm not so much curious about the rationale in choosing an AR model or an SX model. My main point of curiosity is choosing the lower powered 190 over the 192 or 195 model regardless of the AR/SX component.

Rufusthedog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies. I'm not so much curious about the rationale in choosing an AR model or an SX model. My main point of curiosity is choosing the lower powered 190 over the 192 or 195 model regardless of the AR/SX component.
Where are you located? Maybe there is a friendly forum member that could take you for a ride.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I still have mine out and not in storage yet. I'll gladly give a test drive on a our '17 AR190. I'm in the Louisville, KY area. Gone as far south as Cumberland and as far north as Patoka in IN with this boat. Anywhere in between works for me. I'll glad drag it out of the garage to give a test drive....Also, mine is still 100% bone stock

We got the 190 over the 195 based on fuel burn, and features. We didn't like the black tower or other black accents. So the 195 didn't "look" as nice. I did like the aluminum grab handles, and the front filler cushion on the 195 though. The upgraded stereo wasn't an issue either, as this stereo is still FAR better than any other boat stereo we've had. The fuel burn/range was a second consideration. We often boat for an entire weekend on the Ohio river with family. The range of the 195 put us such that we could make it from the family house, to the fuel dock and back with ~20 miles to spare to have fun. The 190 (with almost double the range) gave us more "running around time" between fuel ups, as well as an overall lower cost for the weekend.

When looking at power output, there are two times when "max power" is required. Time to plane, and top speed. The rest of the time is at some reduced power level. We had a 135hp 4cyl I/O for years and were never upset with the time to plane on it, and knowing a jet was better at that aspect we determined time to plane wasn't an issue. Top speed isn't something I'm going to chase with a full load on the boat, and by myself I'm not really on the water for that either. So don't need the power there. In the end, I couldn't make a use case for a high fuel burn motor that required 93 Octane for our needs/wants.

We spent about 55hrs of run time on the water this season (I think, I haven't checked lately), and that equates to ~$750 in fuel over the season (I'll double check my numbers when I get home tonight). Not once did I wish I had more power. Even with 5 adults and 2 kids on board, the boat pulled me (235lbs, and 6'2") up on a wakeskate no problem and maintained my desired 18mph. We were easily able to cruise around on a single tank of fuel all weekend, and never felt "slow" to get between points on the lake (The marina with Ice Cream is all the way on the other end (22mi away). We cruise at about 30mph, and that's enough breeze to keep us cool, and enough speed to keep us from being bored. I've seen a top speed of 43mph fully loaded, and that's fine too for us. I will be adding an L13 cone this winter to the pump to help with loaded cavitation issues I have, but that is a pump issue not an engine issue really.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just checked my numbers.

Assuming:
$2.94 for 93 Octane
$2.34 for 87 Octane
55hrs usage
10.8gph for AR195
6.3gph for AR190

Total cost difference in fuel = $935 for the season.

To say the fuel cost difference is insignificant is subjective depending on your budget. $935 is significant to mine!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
RPM and speed plays the role for gph or mpg. All things considered both the 190/195 are within 1-2 gph or so until 5k and beyond RPM's. Also keeping in mind that a 190 requires higher RPM to get on plane than the 195 so the fuel efficiency isn't apples to oranges per any given RPM since the speed is so different. IMHO unless you're hot dogging WOT all day I don't think those fuel differences are that different as it all depends on how you use your boat.

I think the best thing you can do is test drive all the models and boats you're interested in and make a decision that works for you. That's the beauty (and fun part) of boat shopping with a dealer on the lake.

Last edited:

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great fuel range. Better price . lower maintenance. Less parts to break. For my Area 40 mph is sketchy enough. Fits in my garage with almost a foot to spare.
I love it!

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I still have mine out and not in storage yet. I'll gladly give a test drive on a our '17 AR190. I'm in the Louisville, KY area. Gone as far south as Cumberland and as far north as Patoka in IN with this boat. Anywhere in between works for me. I'll glad drag it out of the garage to give a test drive....Also, mine is still 100% bone stock

We got the 190 over the 195 based on fuel burn, and features. We didn't like the black tower or other black accents. So the 195 didn't "look" as nice. I did like the aluminum grab handles, and the front filler cushion on the 195 though. The upgraded stereo wasn't an issue either, as this stereo is still FAR better than any other boat stereo we've had. The fuel burn/range was a second consideration. We often boat for an entire weekend on the Ohio river with family. The range of the 195 put us such that we could make it from the family house, to the fuel dock and back with ~20 miles to spare to have fun. The 190 (with almost double the range) gave us more "running around time" between fuel ups, as well as an overall lower cost for the weekend.

When looking at power output, there are two times when "max power" is required. Time to plane, and top speed. The rest of the time is at some reduced power level. We had a 135hp 4cyl I/O for years and were never upset with the time to plane on it, and knowing a jet was better at that aspect we determined time to plane wasn't an issue. Top speed isn't something I'm going to chase with a full load on the boat, and by myself I'm not really on the water for that either. So don't need the power there. In the end, I couldn't make a use case for a high fuel burn motor that required 93 Octane for our needs/wants.

We spent about 55hrs of run time on the water this season (I think, I haven't checked lately), and that equates to ~$750 in fuel over the season (I'll double check my numbers when I get home tonight). Not once did I wish I had more power. Even with 5 adults and 2 kids on board, the boat pulled me (235lbs, and 6'2") up on a wakeskate no problem and maintained my desired 18mph. We were easily able to cruise around on a single tank of fuel all weekend, and never felt "slow" to get between points on the lake (The marina with Ice Cream is all the way on the other end (22mi away). We cruise at about 30mph, and that's enough breeze to keep us cool, and enough speed to keep us from being bored. I've seen a top speed of 43mph fully loaded, and that's fine too for us. I will be adding an L13 cone this winter to the pump to help with loaded cavitation issues I have, but that is a pump issue not an engine issue really.

Hope that helps!

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
2kwik4u - Thank you for the very generous offer. Sadly, I am south of Knoxville Tn. That said, I continue to be most impressed with the knowledge and generosity of the folks on this forum. I have participated in many forums over the years covering many subjects. and this one rates as one of the best that I have ever had the pleasure of participating in.

Thank you again..:)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
RPM and speed plays the role for gph or mpg. All things considered both the 190/195 are within 1-2 gph or so until 5k and beyond RPM's. Also keeping in mind that a 190 requires higher RPM to get on plane than the 195 so the fuel efficiency isn't apples to oranges per any given RPM since the speed is so different. IMHO unless you're hot dogging WOT all day I don't think those fuel differences are that different as it all depends on how you use your boat.

I think the best thing you can do is test drive all the models and boats you're interested in and make a decision that works for you. That's the beauty (and fun part) of boat shopping with a dealer on the lake.
You are right. Usage plays a big role. I pulled those numbers as the "best case mpg" from Boatest.com. I'll have to go back and look, but I think they were from different rev ranges, and different speeds. The assumption being "lets use the 'best' case for each boat". The only real way to know is to have one person use each boat for a season and compare the actual fuel burned. Obviously that is not very practical, as few of us will upgrade from one 19ft to another 19ft. Ultimately though, to NOT consider the fuel burn would be short sighted, and it's NOT an insiginificant number to be considered.

You are spot on too with the "try them all and pick". At the end of the day, we're all buying luxury items and the single most important result is being happy with what you chose.

2kwik4u - Thank you for the very generous offer. Sadly, I am south of Knoxville Tn. That said, I continue to be most impressed with the knowledge and generosity of the folks on this forum. I have participated in many forums over the years covering many subjects. and this one rates as one of the best that I have ever had the pleasure of participating in.

Thank you again..:)
Knoxville is a long drive, but not terrible. If you find yourself up this way, send a PM and I'll drag the boat out for the afternoon :D

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the very generous offer....:)

I have a bit of a dealership dilemma in that I temporarily work in East Tn, near a dealership in Knoxville that is about an hour away. My permanent residence is in Western Kentucky with the nearest dealership being in or near Louisville which is about 4 plus hours away.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the very generous offer....:)

I have a bit of a dealership dilemma in that I temporarily work in East Tn, near a dealership in Knoxville that is about an hour away. My permanent residence is in Western Kentucky with the nearest dealership being in or near Louisville which is about 4 plus hours away.
I bought from Yamaha of Louisville. So far they've been great to me. Had the 10hr service done there and they worked with me very reasonably with my broken intake grate at the same time. Chris (I think that's the owners name) and Steve our salesman were great during the purchase and delivery as well as the few times I've called with questions. I'm only about 30miles from them at home and about 15 away at the office, so it's an easy trip for me.

If you get them to give you a test drive on a new 195, I'll meet you guys on the water with my 190 and you could drive them both at the same time back to back. Probably the easiest way to decide which you like.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
At the end of the day they are both great boats. As long as you buy a 190 and are not constantly going to wish you bought the 195 you should be good to go with a 190. I will tell you after owning both I have never once said I wish I had my 190 back.

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks. I have not yet decided on anything. The extra HP isn't that big of a deal and the extra fuel cost isn't either. Losing my big sunpad is a consideration, but not having an option to look at a 190/195 side by side is. My local dealer still has the leftover 2017 AR 190, but has already sold the one 2018 AR 195 that they had in stock.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does the dealer have any leftover 192's? Not to buy one but it will give you an idea of the differences in the two boats. The 195 will be a little quicker all around than a 192 but not by a whole lot and it would give you a sense of what to expect with a new 195. I've gone WOT next to one and it was fairly close although I do have the SVHO IC and ribbon delete and his 195 was bone stock.

If you're not worried about speed or fuel consumption and want the space to replace your sun pad just get a pontoon boat :D. I'm kidding of course even though some of them are real nice and can be stupid fast with big motors and big price tags lol.

Honestly though go and see if the dealer has a leftover 192. If he does then ask him to put the bow filler cushion in and see if your better half likes it. Like I said the bench is where my wife goes if she wants to lay out. None of the Yamaha boats are going to have a massive sunpad like say a wake or V-drive boat does but they can have filler cushions in the bow to give you a spot to lounge.

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No left over 192's and only one left over 190. The dealer also sells wakeboard boats and only gets a few Yamaha units each year. I am headed to the dealer on my next day off and I will see if the lack of a big sunpad will be a deal breaker or not.