• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

For those who live at the lake with your own dock/slip...

johnkim

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Few questions for those that live next to a lake with your own dock/slip:

1. Do you keep your own in water during the entire season?
2. After each boat use, do you put the cover on?

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes and yes. I keep it in the water for convenience, and keep the cover on to protect from the weather, bugs, and birds.

I do pull the boat every month to clean the algae off the hull. This year I’ll have a lift so hopefully can avoid that.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes and no. Unless the boat’s not going to get used for a few days, I don’t put the cover on.

While the boat is in the water (typically may-oct) and particularly in July and august, we use the boat almost everyday so I don’t put the cover on.

Not saying this is right or wrong but it’s worked ok for me.

BJSelzer

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I leave the boat on the lift year round because we have a covered slip. I dont have a garage it would fit in at the lake, so I'd have to pay for storage or expose it to the sun if I put it on the trailer.

The lake is a bit over 60 miles away from our house so we typically only go down for weekends and I pull the mooring cover off when we arrive and put it back on when we leave. I do get the boat all the way out of the water (on the lift) anytime we aren't out on it to avoid waves knocking it around in the slip.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a lift and never leave the boat in the water. Even if going back out later that day, the boat comes out of the water. When we are there for the weekend or several days, the cover is left off till we leave. The boat is, however on the lift, is under cover in the boathouse.

Last edited:

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have always (more than 25 years) left our boats in the water at our dock for the whole April-October season except when we went for a week or two to a bigger lake or the ocean. I've always regretted not covering when I neglected the chore!

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, in the water, and cover goes on unless we're using it for a few days in a row, or overnight rain is in the forecast.

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Boat stays on the Lift from April/May to October. Even though the Lift has a Canopy Cover, we still cover it every night, helps keep birds, bugs, dew, etc. out of the boat.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

@johnkim ..... leave the boat in water May to October. Have separate snap-on bow and cockpit covers (OEM Yamaha). 5 minutes off and 5 minutes on keeps out bird $hit, critters, mildew etc. Wash hull at beach or sand bar every 10 days or so and pull once a summer for more thorough clean. :cool:

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boat stays on the Lift from April/May to October. Even though the Lift has a Canopy Cover, we still cover it every night, helps keep birds, bugs, dew, etc. out of the boat.
Exactly the same here.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, in the water, but on a lift. So really no different than being on a trailer. We have a canopy, so the sun doesn't bake it too badly if I choose not to cover it every day.

Like most say, I leave it uncovered if we plan on going out within 24hrs. Otherwise, it gets the snap on covers. It keeps dirt, leaves and birds out of the boat.

When I pull it to trailer, I use the black mooring cover to protect it as well. Plugs are pulled and spray lubed weekly. Onboard dual bank charger gets plugged in every other week or so. I monitor the voltage.

Last edited:

mdem37

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For you guys that leave them in the water - I thought you weren't supposed to leave jet boats in the water since it's bad for the seals or something?

johnkim

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For you guys that leave them in the water - I thought you weren't supposed to leave jet boats in the water since it's bad for the seals or something?
Curious to hear what you guys say about this...

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No issues with staying in the water, other than the scum on the hull that accumulates. Oxalic acid solution cuts right thru it. Just pull it and clean it a few times to keep it manageable at the end of season when you put it away for winter.

QuakeTen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I leave mine in the water from May to Labor Day. If I use the boat during the day, I leave it uncovered for a few hours when I get home to dry out. I always have the snap on bow/ cockpit cover on overnight. I never go without it.

My lake doesn’t allow lifts or covered docks.

Huv1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I leave mine in the water the entire season. Never had an issue. I cover it when I know it might not be used for a few days or if there is rain in the forecast. Some years I pull it half way through the summer to clean the hull but not always.

mdem37

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm guessing you all are leaving them in freshwater and not saltwater?

DonnyC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

1. No. Have a covered dock with a lift, so always pull it out of the water when not in use.
2. Put the cover on if we're not going to use it the next day. So it's covered most of the time.

Sold our 2010 in Sep. that was in excellent shape; interior almost perfect. 2021 is on order.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length