• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Foraging in the Woods or your Garden

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know there are a lot of hunters and fishermen here, that bring meat/fish home for the table. This thread is more for finding plants/mushrooms/fruit to bring home to eat. I know not everybody has a big woods to search like me...but your victory garden produce will do also. ;)
With that said, Spring has sprung in Vermont and things are popping up all over. I walked out the back door this morning and found this flush of Shiitake mushrooms in some old plugged logs we had given up on years ago. Great way to start of the morning.

Oh, and please do show us a dish using your harvest.

20190506_081157.jpg

This was todays haul.

20190506_083349.jpg

Going out later, after some boatwork and dig some Ramps. Can't wait for the Black Trumpets.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know there are a lot of hunters and fishermen here, that bring meat/fish home for the table. This thread is more for finding plants/mushrooms to bring home to eat.
With that said, Spring has sprung in Vermont and things are popping up all over. I walked out the back door this morning and found this flush of Shiitake mushrooms in some old plugged logs we had given up on years ago. Great way to start of the morning.

View attachment 93592

This was todays haul.

View attachment 93593

Going out later, after some boatwork and dig some Ramps.
Awesome!!!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Using some of our bounty..."Willow Hill Pho". Dinner tonight, Shiitake mushroom, beef, snow peas in a mushroom based Pho...Yum!

20190507_194850.jpg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A friend on another Forum has taken up raising mushrooms. Seems pretty easy, not sure if that's something you might look into. Myself, I'd be worried I'd poison myself LOL

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Myself, I'd be worried I'd poison myself
That has always been my concern, however, my Daughter gave me a present where I can grow my own mushrooms at home. It comes in a box and the mushrooms grow right out of the box. You just have to add water. Unfortunately I cannot tell you how good it works as I have yet to open the box and add the water. :)[flag]

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Myself, I'd be worried I'd poison myself
That has always been my concern, however, my Daughter gave me a present where I can grow my own mushrooms at home. It comes in a box and the mushrooms grow right out of the box. You just have to add water. Unfortunately I cannot tell you how good it works as I have yet to open the box and add the water. :)[flag]
Funny, You definetly dont want to put things in you mouth that you are not sure about. We bought inoculated wooden plugs years ago and only got a few in previous years. This year they exploded. I knew what they were as soon as I spotted them. I do wild harvest mushrooms but usually limit myself to Oysters, Black Trumpets (black chanterels), Chanterels and Lions Main. Have not found any Morels yet in my woods. We have had mushroom kits in the past and they do work well. Good luck with yours.

Black Trumpets, some of the best.

20170725_111709.jpg

20170725_164137_001.jpg

Last edited:

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@zipper thank you will plant in the nest few days. also do you know of any good campgrounds in the area. If I can't make it to Cape Cod might like to go to Vermont. I would definitely prefer full hook ups. thanks [flag]

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@zipper thank you will plant in the nest few days. also do you know of any good campgrounds in the area. If I can't make it to Cape Cod might like to go to Vermont. I would definitely prefer full hook ups. thanks [flag]
Here is an Area Map of Campgrounds close to Lake Champlain. Best reviews for Appletree Bay, Champlain Adult and Pine Haven.

20190514_063523.jpg

Appletree Bay is on the Lake with a State boat ramp across Rt. 2 from it. It also has a 9 hole, par 3, golf course. And happens to be a few minutes from my parents Summer home. My location is the blue dot in center of picture. I do not know much about the other two but they had better reviews. Pine Haven looks too small to me to be a "real" campground, not just some guys back yard and is on the Lamoille River. We did Keep our Yamaha at Keeler Bay Campground and Marina three seasons ago. Seemed like most campers there were permanent and not much room coming and going. Lone Pine is big but right next to I89. Malletts Bay has a public Park across the street on the Bay and is right next to the Marina where we have kept our boats for the last couple of years. We are moving the Beneteau to a new Marina in Burlington a week from now and trailering the Yamaha this year.

No current info available on Champlain Adult campground, may be closed.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is an Area Map of Campgrounds close to Lake Champlain. Best reviews for Appletree Bay, Champlain Adult and Pine Haven.

View attachment 94230

Appletree Bay is on the Lake with a State boat ramp across Rt. 2 from it. It also has a 9 hole, par 3, golf course. And happens to be a few minutes from my parents Summer home. My location is the blue dot in center of picture. I do not know much about the other two but they had better reviews. Pine Haven looks too small to me to be a "real" campground, not just some guys back yard and is on the Lamoille River. We did Keep our Yamaha at Keeler Bay Campground and Marina three seasons ago. Seemed like most campers there were permanent and not much room coming and going. Lone Pine is big but right next to I89. Malletts Bay has a public Park across the street on the Bay and is right next to the Marina where we have kept our boats for the last couple of years. We are moving the Beneteau to a new Marina in Burlington a week from now and trailering the Yamaha this year.

No current info available on Champlain Adult campground, may be closed.
@zipper Thank you for the information [flag]

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Went out in our woods today to dig Ramps, AKA wild onions. We have some big patches on the property. They are abundant this time of year. The Winooski River, just South of me, that flows thru Burlington is also known as The Onion River. The Winooski name comes from the Abenaki Indians meaning Onion. We will add to this haul over the next week, as Willow intends to pickle a bunch as well as use them as you would a scallion. They are a little stronger in flavor than scallion, leaning towards garlic, but not as strong. You will find white ones we call wild onions and the red ones we call Ramps. Here is one small patch in the woods today.

20190522_115205.jpg

Here are the White wild onions.

20190522_170417.jpg

And the Red Ramps.

20190522_182230.jpg

Really good eats, after they get cleaned up raw or cooked.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
His and Hers Carrots...

20190827_081007.jpg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Been harvesting these every few days for the last 5 weeks.

20210604_100710.jpg

josh195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I always go after morels and here lately the chanterelles. I have not been able to find any ramps or wild asparagus anywhere near my house.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I always go after morels and here lately the chanterelles. I have not been able to find any ramps or wild asparagus anywhere near my house.
We have a lot of ramps and a decent asparagus patch, no morels on our property but the black trumpets will be here soon.

0802151351.jpg

Apology for the old picture. I guess I had better pictures above.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If I gathered mushrooms I'm sure I'd be on a news story - Headline:

"Raleigh Man dies after eating poisonous mushrooms"

subtext: he was following directions from people on the internet.....

LOL
There are half a dozen varities that I know, that grow around me that I will eat. The shitake, chanterelle, black chanterelle (trumpets), oysters, lions mane, chicken and hen of the wood. A lot of other stuff out there like boletes but I don't eat them much, critters/slugs usually get them first

Oysters on a dead maple tree

20170725_090257.jpg.

Last edited:

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I gathered mushrooms I'm sure I'd be on a news story - Headline:

"Raleigh Man dies after eating poisonous mushrooms"

subtext: he was following directions from people on the internet.....

LOL
You and me both [flag]