• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ford Maverick Not Sure For Towing

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What is the towing capacity?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1626141743991.png

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could tow a 19' footer decently I believe. The 40 mpg city is hot.

Drag

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
inthink Ford made a mistake calling it the maverick. I still have memories of the old maverick. And not good ones.

seriously, 4000 tow capacity I think is marginal at best. short term might be ok, long term not so sure.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Also it says FWD, Will be hardper to pull from slippery ramp

edit: and also have CVT transmission. It’s newer tech with lots of problem with other manufacturers. Not really tested in towing since usually have it on cars not trucks

Last edited:

anuddereng

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
It comes in 4 wheel drive and a front wheel drive truck makes sense when not towing. I no longer use a truck as a daily driver because I don't like how they handle in the rain without a load. My truck stays in the driveway most of the time (<4K miles in 2.5 years). I could drive the Maverick or Santa Cruz everyday. I'm trying to get the wife to buy one for her daily driver that way I could inherit it when she tires of it. Then, I'd have two trucks.

I had a Maverick (V8 302) in the 70's and it wasn't much to look at (powder blue) but the engine was rock solid.

As far as tow vehicles, it was hard to beat an old Chevy or Ford station wagon with a big block engine. The rear axle was close to the hitch ball, the center of gravity was very low, the wheelbase was long and the stance was wide. :)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There no way I'd tow more than a PWC with that. It has to be smaller than the Ranger so it probably puts it in the size of a old Subaru Brat.
You know it wont be long before you see someone towing a 25' foot boat behind one or seeing one getting dragged into the water at a steep ramp. Its human nature and predictable.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
FWD, 155 ft-lb of torque from a 2.5L 4 banger, driven by a CVT (or as i call them - snowmobile transmissions on testosterone)... PLEASE fire the individual responsible for calling this a TRUCK.

My 2016 Subaru Outback boasts these figures... you might as well be stuck on Mars with a hammer and a flathead screw driver if you have any sort of transmission issues... NOBODY wants to work on those things.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Need to look at it more closely and separate the powertrains. The hybrid powertrain is the one that gets 40mpg and has the CVT. It's max tow is 2k. The 2.0 liter ecoboost has 250hp and 277 kb-ft torque with an 8 speed automatic transmission. It's wheelbase is 121 inches which is longer than most 5K towing SUVs. This is the model which has max tow of 4k. I wouldn't worry about towing my 19 footer with this, but of course I tow with my minivan very nicely and have done so for many years. I do have to avoid very slippery ramps but less so than the rear wheel drive pick up trucks. I would definitely get the 4wd version if I was towing alot. I probably would get a ridgeline over this vehicle because Honda employs many Central Ohioans including friends and makes a solid V6. Also, the ecoboost version will likely get the same gas mileage or less than the Ridgeline.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Why not just buy a Honda Ridgeline? Basically the same vehicle with a proven motor/tranny.
They look the same.

These "trucks" were designed for surburbans that just want the open bed of a truck over an SUV. There is a huge market for these vehicles. Not everyone needs a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck. I owned two Colorado's in the past, but that was before I owned my 242. HA!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@biffdotorg Agreed, but sooner rather than later they will be towing with them. It is bound to happen. At that price point someone can afford a bigger boat :oops:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
They look the same.

These "trucks" were designed for surburbans that just want the open bed of a truck over an SUV. There is a huge market for these vehicles. Not everyone needs a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck. I owned two Colorado's in the past, but that was before I owned my 242. HA!
Agreed - 1/2 tons are great unless you have no use for an actual truck I can't wait to get a notification on the Ford Lightening, sell our car, and have two trucks. :D