• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Former Yamaha owner compare

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone have a Chap/Vortex that previously owned a Yamaha? I’m looking to understand compare and contrast. I currently have an ‘07 SX-230 and I am familiar with Chap’s 220i? My brother in law owns it and it’s a solid boat.

I suspect fit and finish is different but how are the other factors? Steering and the closed loop drive system - how does that match up to Yamaha experience?

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone have a Chap/Vortex that previously owned a Yamaha? I’m looking to understand compare and contrast. I currently have an ‘07 SX-230 and I am familiar with Chap’s 220i? My brother in law owns it and it’s a solid boat.

I suspect fit and finish is different but how are the other factors? Steering and the closed loop drive system - how does that match up to Yamaha experience?
Saw this in the general section - sorry for cross post.

Any other perspectives?

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In my opinion the one and only thing Yamaha has on any othe jet boat manufacturer is the clean out ports.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I would say the dealer network is probably better on the Yamaha side, as for Vortex it could be a miss or a hit. If your Vortex dealer happen to be a powersports dealer, they are normally better. As far as the boat itself, days & nights for Vortex, just do a quick comparison ride if you can, you will understand right away. Look at the stiffness of the hull, the hardware (stainless steel), the seat construction & upholstery quality. That's without saying the increased power of the Rotax engines.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I went from the SX192 to the 223VRX. Not exactly comparing apples to apples due to the size difference but, it was night and day difference. I commented on this several times (search is your friend). I'm not into bashing Yamaha, but I prefer the Chap. Everything I did not like about the design and quality was improved. I am very happy I switched. The clean out ports is a plus but I have never gotten stuck. I have performed the back up maneuver twice and both times was back up on plane. There's something about their design that helps prevent most weeds from sticking.

osteodoc08

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had a chap 220 SSI which was my first “real” boat. It did everything Inasked season after season without much fuss. Wanted a 2430 VTX but for the price I kept looking. Wanted one I could put a substantial down payment on (50+%) and kept coming back to Yamaha. It’s been a mixed bag. I find the hull, materials, overall craftsmanship is better on the chap. The design and layout of the 242 I have is better and eventually was the reason I chose the Yamaha. That and my previous experience with these motors have been positive.

Franced123

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hey I also had a 2008 ar 240. Liked the Yamaha and didnt have any issues. I got rid of it back in 2014. Now have switched to 223vrx. I was looking at 210 fsh and scarab 255 open I'd. Then I seen a 223 vrx, the fit and finish much better, closed loop cooling, layout and rear seating much more open and the boat actually looks like a boat. Never thought the Yamaha looked like a boat not easy to step in and out of either. The 223 vrx is self.bailing if u take water over the bow, haul is one piece construction. Have 40hrs on it now in multiple lakes and have never sucked anything up that didnt pass thru. Engineers say the haul pushes debris out of the way of the intakes. If you use dock mode u will be fine around docks. Just my 2 cents.