• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Found a great deal 1,130 miles away (Lutz, FL)

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I found a great price on a 2006 sx230 with aftermarket tower. What should I ask before driving to Florida from Texas. Guy has been trying to sell it for a few months now. He said their hot rod shop got it from a trade in. Says the steering cables are being replaced right now. No other issues.

I am looking to spend less then 15K and this boat if in good working condition hits all the marks I am looking for.
"His ad"
2006 Yamaha SX230 with Twin High Output 4 Stroke 20 Valve Motors..

Kenwood Stereo Upgrades with Stern and Cockpit Controls
RockfordFosgate Marine Amp
Blacktip Traction Mats on Bow and Stern

Comes with skis and various extras not pictured currently... Has pop up table for rear and insert for bow seats (as seen in pictures)

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The seats appear to be dirty.

The steering wheel is new.

I would ask for compression test numbers on the engines and YDS output as to how many hours are on the engines and any errors that are logged.

I would ask for the shift cables to be replaced at the same time as the steering as they are likely in similar condition.

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How do I see if there are any members in the area that might want a nice steak dinner for helping me check this boat out?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lutz is almost 3 hours from me and out of my range to view the boat for you.

What kind of $ are they looking for?

My best advice is that you must water test ANY boat you want to purchase...even those shiny new ones.

Lots of members up in the Tampa area. Anybody able to view this boat up there?

Floyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Lutz is right next to me, but I'm leaving for Alaska in a couple of hours.

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thanks @Bruce and @Murf'n'surf I am getting them to do a compression check and plan on doing a sea trail when they complete the steering cable replacement.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@CrankyGypsy or @tim h are nearby....

The stereo looks to be all aftermarket...so the old JVC remotes (still in place) will be inert. Also they have the headunit in the bottom glove compartment vs where the stock one goes because the stock was a regular DIN size and the Kenwood looks fatter. They don't show a photo of the top glove compartment....but make me wonder if they left the old one in there...or if there is just a hole?

Agree with Bruce, if the reverse gate cables haven't been replaced...they will need to be soon. Also, some close up shots of the impellers would be nice.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am useless in judging the mechanics of the boat, but I think I can use my psychology degree on this one. Hence, I would say "the previous owner seemed to have utility relationship rather than a love affair." Nevertheless, if you decide to pull the trigger ( hope not), I help driver over the weekend ( Friday evening to Sunday evening) to pick her up from Florida.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you so a sea trial, don't let the seller control everything. What I mean is, there was a thread somewhere where the seller SLOWLY throttled up to full speed because the seller knew there were cavitation issues.

Flooring it at your leisure shouldn't be an issue, see how it rides at different RPM ranges.

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thanks @Julian and @Michael Rasmussen. Some more good questions to ask before I go look at it. If the engines are running well and the compression tests comes back good and I have a PWC shop run a YDS on the motors would you think that 12k would be a great deal?

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Betik I agree it is apparent that the owner is not in love with this boat but I feel like if the motors are in good shape then I fix the dirty seats and other small cosmetic things. If I can get this around 12k I hope it should last a few years till I upgrade and I should be able to sell it around the purchase price.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As long as the engines run well, she drives well on the water and the hull is not damaged....12K would be a good price based on what we can see from those photos.

Oh...and you'll probably want to know how old the tires are before you try to drive 1000 miles on them! If they are the original tires...your first stop might be a tire store!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hilarious...installed it right through one of the warning stickers!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Is that a stereo remote by the throttles?
Yes that is a new aftermarket remote....cut through the sticker as @Scuba_ref points out, and it looks like they might have over shot on cutting one of the corners....(again...hard to tell).

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow. I need to check the nada on my boat.

Jp127

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Other
Make sure trailer wheel bearings are greased.