• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Found a very clean 2005 SX230. Is it worth waiting for a 2007 HO model?

Whiskey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I found a very clean 2005 SX230 with in a couple hours from me. It has 200 hours and all the upholstery was replaced last spring. I keep reading how the 2007+ boats have the minature head compartment - we have kids who suddenly have to poop, like that very second. It's murder. Maybe we will appreciate the miniature head... I just don't know.

I saw all the reviews that mention the HO motors being tangibly more powerful. Is this really that big of a deal? The videos of the 2005 SX230 looks amazing. Is the 2007 simply MORE amazing?

Are the 2007+ HO motors any less reliable? Are they a more high strung boat that won't last as long?

I like the 2007 interior with the wrap around bench seat, but is it that big of an upgrade over captains chairs? It doesn't seem "better" just different. Is it actually better in reality?

Basically is it worth waiting for a 2007 HP mode - l or will we love this 2005 and not look back doubting ourselves. It's a big purchase and all the boats are close to the same prices for 2003-2008's give or take depending on condition.

For context we will be using the boat for tubing in fresh water large lakes around Washington state. There are three little kids ages 3, 8 and 10. Four adults. This will be our first boat.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Low hours for that year I had the non high out put and it had plenty of power it had some cavitation but after cleaning up the edges of the impellers it would pull up a wakeboarder with 9 passengers .

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like the bench seat a lot. It's one of the big gripes with the newer boats. The ho motors make for a fast boat, I suspect the non ho motors are totally adequate. We never use ours anywhere near the power it has.

I think if you found a clean 05 at a price you like, go for it. Theres a big price difference between the early and later year boats. You didn't mention the price on the boat you are looking at, but that would be a 20k+ boat easy as an 07+. Depending on your areas they might be closer to 25k.

Whiskey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 2005 is asking $23k. It has quite a bit of attention to detail and upgrades. Second owner, only fresh water run. New sunbrella full cover. One year old upholstery. Two year old wheel bearings and trailer tires. Slow speed fins on the jets. Very upgraded sound system with two amps. Battery tender on boards. Three battery’s. Board tower and racks. New ECM units in 2017, and the 200ish hours I mentioned. He’s doing a compression check for me tomorrow hopefully or the weekend at the latest.

In the PAC NW the Yamahas go for more but all motorsports toys do here. Motorcycles sell for far more than market value. I went to Utah and Idaho to get the last two dual sport motorcycles I have purchased. It doesn’t make much sense but it’s the way it is.

I found a stock 2007 SX230 HO that looked in good but not pristine condition with 190 hours in San Diego (900 miles away!) for $18k that was used in salt water during its life. I was interested in talking to him but someone local to the seller put a deposit on it today so that boat is sold.

Whiskey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BlkGS what do you mean the seats are one of the gripes of the newer boats? Do some not like the wrap bench?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The 2005 is asking $23k. It has quite a bit of attention to detail and upgrades. Second owner, only fresh water run. New sunbrella full cover. One year old upholstery. Two year old wheel bearings and trailer tires. Slow speed fins on the jets. Very upgraded sound system with two amps. Battery tender on boards. Three battery’s. Board tower and racks. New ECM units in 2017, and the 200ish hours I mentioned. He’s doing a compression check for me tomorrow hopefully or the weekend at the latest.

In the PAC NW the Yamahas go for more but all motorsports toys do here. Motorcycles sell for far more than market value. I went to Utah and Idaho to get the last two dual sport motorcycles I have purchased. It doesn’t make much sense but it’s the way it is.

I found a stock 2007 SX230 HO that looked in good but not pristine condition with 190 hours in San Diego (900 miles away!) for $18k that was used in salt water during its life. I was interested in talking to him but someone local to the seller put a deposit on it today so that boat is sold.
Just for reference...we paid $23k in 2016 for our 07 AR230 HO w/ galv trailer. Just under 100hrs. at time of purchase. Put about $5k in mods since, canvas, stereo, trim tabs...as listed below.

Lookingforajetboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bought an 05 ar230 a few months ago in Sacramento. 220 hours. Upholstery is ok. Has a tower. $18,000. Not easy to find in this area, especially a fresh water boat. Go to Florida there seems to be a lot for better prices.