• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH 10 Hour service

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Grease here after pulling the cap I put about 20 pumps in the same on both of my rim hubs.

Remove the 2 bolts holding the engine cover

Under the cover remove the bolts with 10mm nut driver holding the boots to the spark plugs.

Using a 5/8 spark plug socket loosen the spark plugs, then use a magnet to pull them and for putting them back in

Look good and dry no oil or residue just a little black but normal

Mighty vac this thing is AWESOME just select the size tube to go down the dip stick tube give the handle a couple of pumps and it starts pulling the oil pretty fast. Make sure and warm up the engine for about 10 minutes so the oil will pump through easy.

Got 3.4 Liters of oil out

Using a plastic bag and duck tape under the filter to catch any oil that spills out removing the filter.

Another view of plastic bag to catch oil

Put new oil back in and hooked up the water

Made sure I have good drainage

Last edited:

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I saw where others had used those will have to try them in the future how did you place them to catch the oil? With my bag it was easy to unscrew and drop the filter down in the bag then screw on my new one.

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The puppy training pads are about 2 ft X 3 ft ... easy to spread it out under the filter before removal... no taping required.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just did the first 10 hour oil change on my FSH today using the same oil vac pump. I used a tin foil drip pan from my WeberQ grill to catch oil from the filter. A small rag folded over in the pan absorbed the oil so no spill when I took the pan out. Had to use a strap wrench on the oil filter as it was very tight as is common on any new engine. I added 3.8~ qts back in, ran the engine a few seconds and the oil is up to the full mark on the dipstick. I can't imagine the extra .2 qt would even raise the level in the pan but, the manual says 3.8 qts. Will check the plugs and give the bearing a squirt this week after work. Thanks for the pics of the process.

jetfisher

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thats better than the 198 bucks i gave my dealer to do my 10 hr service. Plus i still had to clean the oil from under the motor. Nice write up. Gonna have to get one of those vacs for the 50 hr service.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Hey there. I'm at my 10 hour now too and had a question: The manual suggests the dealer do the first greasing at 10 hours then you can do it at the 100 hour mark. Did you see any reason for that? Is there a grease gun you used?
The manual also says there is no need for changing the oil filter at 10, only the oil. I see everyone does the filter too. Is this just a c.y.a.?
Thank you!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey there. I'm at my 10 hour now too and had a question: The manual suggests the dealer do the first greasing at 10 hours then you can do it at the 100 hour mark. Did you see any reason for that? Is there a grease gun you used?
The manual also says there is no need for changing the oil filter at 10, only the oil. I see everyone does the filter too. Is this just a c.y.a.?
Thank you!
Most maintenance tasks are indicated in the manual to be performed by the dealer. We know from various many accounts here that is not always the best. I think @Britboater had a nice write up and discussion of the intermediate bearing /grease service https://jetboaters.net/threads/2016-ar-sx-240-50hr-service.12226/#post-211558.
I personally think it is a bit insane to change the oil but not the filter, but that's just me. I know, the manual says otherwise.

--

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Copy that. I was thinking the same thing. If you're changing out the oil...why not the filter while you're there? I mean, there's a reason you're doing the oil, because of the break in and associated elements coming loose that get into the oil and the filter. I didn't notice the grease nipple part until I looked closer at the manual. I'm re-thinking doing it myself now, though I'd like to. I guess a grease gun is in order and maybe a little more detail on how to do it right.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
maybe a little more detail on how to do it right
The is one of the craziest things about Yamaha maintenance, no one is quite sure what the process is exactly. I think @Britboater's take on it is the best I've seen, and that is what I follow.
Do it yourself, you will love it, and you will know it's done right.
Just remember to NOT run the water before you start the engine, and turn the water off before you turn the engine off.

--

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Isn't it funny how the sequence...engine start, then turn on water...water off, then engine off...is the mantra of our forum? I see it in so many posts. I almost make a song out of it when I do it and even remove the hose after turning the water off JUST to make sure. I can do a lot of maintenance on my Tahoe so I want to be able to do it on my boat. This is a great resource. I looked at the thread you sent me and you're right, great post.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I bought a tube of Yamalube marine grease from the dealer when I bought the oil and filter kit and a one hand pump grease gun from Advance Auto Parts. It took a few squirts and then I felt a little more resistance. That's when I stopped.
I agree on the filter. Why not change it.

Polo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It is important that you put the engine level, to extract the maximum oil

mmaldo1500

Reaction score
Boat Make