• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH hard top

Dwayne Henderson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
IMG_0419.JPG I was reading the threads about pooling water, and highway driving with the soft top on our boats. My solution was to have a hard top fabricated out of UHMW, UV protected plastic. I used the shape of the 52" curved light bar I plan on mounting for the front. I fastened it with SS self tappers.

kloot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well done, would love more info and costs. Mine has a tear from highway driving.

Attachments

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Mine ripped in the exact place too kloot. Very interested to see how your project turns out Dwayne. I had planned to make one out of carbon fiber to keep the weight down but need a center hatch to fold down to access the little crows nest up there. I cut the center bar out to make more room for sight fishing standing up on the console thru the t-top. A dedicated hard top would kill my flats tower option.

Dwayne Henderson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
It cost about $450.00 Canadian. I think that's about $50.00 USD :). The weight is about 30lbs. I tried it this weekend, and it rained, worked great. I'll send more photo's when I get the lights mounted. I ran the wires for the light through the tubes, you can see them in the top of the picture.

Attachments

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
50 dollars US, pretty funny.
Were you able to run the wires all the way down next to the console?

Dwayne Henderson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Yes, I removed the front section so I could get access. I then drilled from inside the Center console through the mounting plate for the "T" top, then drilled each section. There are no visible wires until you get to the top. I'm going to wrap those in white cable conduit. I'll post a couple photos if any one is interested.

kloot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
wow, I would jump at that price. I cant find a replacement for my current one. Anyone know of a site I can order from? Wonder if my dealer can do this mod and what type of labor they would charge. I probably dont need the lights but would be so nice to have as well.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I got one from Babbitts. It was 271 with shipping. They had to get it from Yamaha but I still had it in around a week.

kloot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My stealership is going to replace it under warranty as well. Sweet. At first they wanted to charge $313 but sent them a pic and said it would be covered.

Also going to send them the specs for the hard top, love the look, bigger coverage, and I will not have to take on and off all the time to trailer it.

Any issues one could see in regards to trailering with the hard top?

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Dwayne you might want to end your last post with a "yet".

Kloot trailering the new hardtop at hi-way speed would all depend on the height of your trailer ball. That would increase or decrease the angle of attack of the new WING you've just installed on your t-top. A low ball would angle the top down and create downward push which would increase the dynamic load (and sprung weight) felt by your tires and springs but drive the top against the frame. A high ball would have a higher angle of attack and try to create lift as speed increases while it tries to fly off of the frame. Mounting of said hardtop would then be tested at interesting load levels. It's been 27 years since I've had to calculate lift of lifting bodies but let's just say it would be fun to watch at speed. I just wouldn't want to be driving behind you when the self tapping screws let go at 60 mph. I would thru-bolt with grade 8 nylocks and fender washers every 6" to a foot just to be safe.

Last edited:

Dwayne Henderson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Wind resistance was something I considered, and I do tow level for that reason. This is more like a sheet of plywood then a wing. No symmetrical, or cambered shape to create lift like a wing. That being said, it would be easy and unintrusive to add a cargo strap over the roof for transit, if for nothing else then peace of mind.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You don't have to worry about it ripping, that's for sure. If you could post the pics where you drilled for the wires that would be great. I need to run wires for lights, vhf antenna and stern light.

Dwayne Henderson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Sorry, didn't think about taking pictures while I was doing it. I just drilled the holes off Center, and matched them up, top and bottom. I only drilled a 5/16" because I only needed to run 3 number 10 ga wires.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I thought you said you would post pictures if anyone was interested?

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just post how it exits at the console.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks, looks like you did a great job.

kloot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
just got my canvas replaced now time to put it on. My boat is stored 100 miles away and will be making the trip this weekend. I noticed it did not include the ratchet strap so I am going to have to use the old one. Any pointers you can provide me on your experiance in changing it out I would very much appreciate. I think it should be pretty easy, but if you know of anything I should take or be aware of please let me know JDinfla.