• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH in California

Clubhops10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hello all,

Want to first say this forum has been a great source of information as I am just getting into boating. Now that I've narrowed my selection to a 210 FSH, the Yamaha dealers have told me this model is not available in California due to emissions. At first I thought they were just trying to get me to buy what's in stock but turns out from research they weren't kidding.

Has anyone had success purchasing out of state near California and have it shipped, with appropriate CA registration? I'd like to purchase from a dealer who has experience or success in registering the boat in CA, if that's even possible. If you have if you can share what dealership you went through. Any advice would be greatly appreciate as I prefer not to buy an outboard. Thanks!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @Clubhops10 to the site and unfortunately, welcome to California’s emission Regulations. I personally don’t have any boating emissions experience. Just motorcycles and cars. I do remember reading about a California couple that bought a boat used outside of the state and had issues bringing it into the state. But they did eventually find a way to make it happen. But new? I’d bet/guess It would be easier to buy and register it out of state first, then move it to CA.
Anyway, good luck with your search. There must be a way to get it done!!

Clubhops10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I did get a chance to read that thread and glad they found a way. Just a bit nervous as you can imagine buying it out of state without knowing for sure if it can be registered. Hoping someone has done this recently and found some solutions.

I guess worst case I can register in NV or AZ, but anyone know how that's going to work since my residence is in CA? New to all this but learning, thank you.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My local dealer purchased new/lightly used superjets (when the were powered by two stroke engines) from out of state dealers and sell them used with a price premium in CA. Maybe your dealer can do the same, if paid the appropriate price premium.

Clubhops10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Reading through similar issues other posters have shared, it seems like the issue during registration is not marking the propulsion as "JET" but rather everyone is marking "INBOARD/OUTBOARD"? Based on the prior posts it seems like marking the propulsion as JET gets around the need for emissions? Wondering if anyone has tried this with a Yamaha boat and not a jetski.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
register the boat in south Dakota mostly as a nomad meaning you travel in your rv. most placed with property taxes people register there for the lower taxes, i live in FL but my side by side is registered there with and out of state registration and south Dakota license plates

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think once the boat is one year old, and was registered out of state you can register the boat in ca. As jocolo21 states, pretty easy to do in SD.

justamon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
No problem in Vegas.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
An alternative is the scarab open. I’ve seen them for sale in CA but haven’t seen one on the water yet.

bulldog2009

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I do live in Ca and am buying a 255 Fsh Sport E. I have heard a couple of different ways to do it. I called a couple of dealerships in FL and AZ and they wouldn't even discuss this boat knowing I lived in CA. I have one on order in AZ and my brother lives there. Is there any other way I can get this accomplished?

thanks again for any advice

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There are posts here and on yamahajetboaters.com about how to do this. The private way, buy the boat used from out of state. Fill out the right forms the right way at the dmv and pay the fees. The commercial way, get a local dealer to find and sell you one “used” from out of state/let them handle the paper work. My local power sports shop did this with Yamaha super jets (single rider free style Waverunner) when they were powered by two strokes and could not be sold new in ca. The one I saw looked brand new and cost over $2k to $3k (50%) more than Msrp.

bulldog2009

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There are posts here and on yamahajetboaters.com about how to do this. The private way, buy the boat used from out of state. Fill out the right forms the right way at the dmv and pay the fees. The commercial way, get a local dealer to find and sell you one “used” from out of state/let them handle the paper work. My local power sports shop did this with Yamaha super jets (single rider free style Waverunner) when they were powered by two strokes and could not be sold new in ca. The one I saw looked brand new and cost over $2k to $3k (50%) more than Msrp.
it looks like there I have 2 ways: do the out of state registration or do the in state using my brother's address.

also just wondering if anyone has experience with harbor patrol in CA harassing you due to the out of state tags.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
it looks like there I have 2 ways: do the out of state registration or do the in state using my brother's address.

also just wondering if anyone has experience with harbor patrol in CA harassing you due to the out of state tags.
Option 1- How about buying the boat in AZ, put your brother on the pink slip / title along with yourself and register it in AZ at his address. Easiest.

Option-2 Another way is to get a personal mail box (PMB) in South Dakota. Go and look at Your Best Address web site and it will walk you through the process. Its pretty easy, but I think you have to have the pink slip / title to do that. A bit of a pain but will work.

Option-3 Move out of ca to a state where you can buy that boat and not have to deal with what you are dealing with now. Hardest but your life overall from that point forward will be way better.

bulldog2009

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Option 1- How about buying the boat in AZ, put your brother on the pink slip / title along with yourself and register it in AZ at his address. Easiest.

Option-2 Another way is to get a personal mail box (PMB) in South Dakota. Go and look at Your Best Address web site and it will walk you through the process. Its pretty easy, but I think you have to have the pink slip / title to do that. A bit of a pain but will work.

Option-3 Move out of ca to a state where you can buy that boat and not have to deal with what you are dealing with now. Hardest but your life overall from that point forward will be way better.
oh man I love Option 3 but the wife won't do that. Can't tell you how much I hate CA's stupid ass emission laws. Option 1 looks like the best way. I am buying the boat in NV but can Option 1 with the registration. I just don't want to get hassled once I get it to CA by harbor police. Some of these A holes out here are all about hitting quotas.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
oh man I love Option 3 but the wife won't do that. Can't tell you how much I hate CA's stupid ass emission laws. Option 1 looks like the best way. I am buying the boat in NV but can Option 1 with the registration. I just don't want to get hassled once I get it to CA by harbor police. Some of these A holes out here are all about hitting quotas.
I doubt that the harbor police will give you any trouble. Just like you can drive an out of state car on ca roads for sometime. But if you do get pulled over and have a boat and trailer that are registered out of state and you are towing with a car/ truck registered in ca, have a ca drivers license and a ca residence, then the state of ca will say you are defrauding the state out of it’s due licenses and other fees.. by the way, fees are the way the state govt gets around having to go through the voting system to levy new taxes, so you just get charged more “fees”.

Overall, I’d say the risk is low if registrations are current and you have proper insurance papers…

justamon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I took family on a whale watching trip from New Port beach CA with no attention from Harbor Patrol whatsoever. I don't think anyone cares.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I took family on a whale watching trip from New Port beach CA with no attention from Harbor Patrol whatsoever. I don't think anyone cares.
True in most cases… don’t act like an idiot and draw attention to yourself.

bulldog2009

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
well did all the paperwork today in NV. just have to register the trailer tomorrow at the DMV and off to CA. did the walk through today everything went well. will have it in the water on saturday. can't wait.

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Excellent!

justamon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
well did all the paperwork today in NV. just have to register the trailer tomorrow at the DMV and off to CA. did the walk through today everything went well. will have it in the water on saturday. can't wait.
I love it here in the free state of NV.