• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH Sport FM reception and adding an amp

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm in the middle of a dual bank battery charger project, which seems like a great time to address the very poor FM reception and music quality on my FSH. I noticed the FM reception is almost nonexistent inside a marina or anytime I get away from a main body of water (underway - not trailering). I traced the FM antennae and it seems to be an 18gauge black wire, just zipped tied in with the rest of the wiring harness! No wonder reception is so bad. Has anyone improved their FM reception or added a "real" antennae inside the console?

Then there's the general sound output. If I could find a plug-n-play speaker replacement or an easy amp upgrade, I'd spend the money. On Yamaha's website, they list this as an FSH accessory (available else where for less $$$, I'm sure):

JBL® Marine Amplifiers

It seems that amp could be crimped into the existing JBL stereo power/accessory switch, then just swap the RCA speaker jacks from the head unit into the amp...EZ - PZ. One "non plug-n-play" issue might be the amp will need its own power/ground wires from the battery terminals (since its running more amps than anything else under the console).

I doubt if just adding two upgraded speakers would do anything for the sound output, and "for sure" would do nothing for the FM reception.

Anyone have suggestions or experience to pass along on an FM antennae upgrade or a basic amp install (barely listen to music, but when I do, I'd like to hear "something")?

Thanks in advance.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in the middle of a dual bank battery charger project, which seems like a great time to address the very poor FM reception and music quality on my FSH. I noticed the FM reception is almost nonexistent inside a marina or anytime I get away from a main body of water (underway - not trailering). I traced the FM antennae and it seems to be an 18gauge black wire, just zipped tied in with the rest of the wiring harness! No wonder reception is so bad. Has anyone improved their FM reception or added a "real" antennae inside the console?

Then there's the general sound output. If I could find a plug-n-play speaker replacement or an easy amp upgrade, I'd spend the money. On Yamaha's website, they list this as an FSH accessory (available else where for less $$$, I'm sure):

JBL® Marine Amplifiers

It seems that amp could be crimped into the existing JBL stereo power/accessory switch, then just swap the RCA speaker jacks from the head unit into the amp...EZ - PZ. One "non plug-n-play" issue might be the amp will need its own power/ground wires from the battery terminals (since its running more amps than anything else under the console).

I doubt if just adding two upgraded speakers would do anything for the sound output, and "for sure" would do nothing for the FM reception.

Anyone have suggestions or experience to pass along on an FM antennae upgrade or a basic amp install (barely listen to music, but when I do, I'd like to hear "something")?

Thanks in advance.
For the antenna, check this out:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/best-am-fm-antenna.11608/

Most here find Polk DB 6.5 speakers to work great as a direct replacement for the OEM POS speakers.
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-DB651-Certified-Speakers/dp/B000P0PF9G
MUCH better sounding when amplified. Many have used this amp, just about the simplest and least expensive install ever, works great with up to 4 Polk DBs.
https://www.amazon.com/Clarion-XC1410-4-Channel-Class-D-Amplifier/dp/B00B43LKV0

Man, those must be discontinued, looking at the drop in prices!

--

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks @swatski

I just ordered one of those FM antennas!

There's some local boaters with nice sound systems, which makes mine sound even worse (if I even get any FM reception). I'll mess with the amp and speakers next.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes this is a great time to buy the the polk db651 while you still can. They have changed the cosmetics and are calling it the db652 this year or db plus series. I don't know what is plus about it since they have 10 watts less RMS power handling each and look more like they belong in an off road jeep or side by side than a boat IMO. Below are photos.

DB651 (discontinued version)
51UL2ad6DSL.jpg
DB652 (new version)
61f5-BtvNrL._SL1000_.jpg

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Before jumping on 651's, I'd like to get harnesses at same time. Anyone done the harness?

Last edited: