• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH Transducer mounting option

H2O Life

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I am new to the forum, and I have recently purchased a Deluxe. I have seen some very inventive solutions for mounting a transducer on an FSH, and after reading about several options I ended up with the following. First I didn't want to drill any holes in my new boat (I am sure that will pass). Second I am mounting a Ecomap 44DV and I will be upgrading when my wife is not looking, so I didn't want anything not easily removed later. I want to say thanks to everyone for their post, as I borrowed and learned from your experiences. I hope this option adds to the discussions.
IMG_0021.JPG Angle stock from LowesIMG_0023.JPG transducer mounted to lower angleIMG_0025.JPG removed 2 bolts from keel plate, added spacers, and re-installed 2 M8 1.25x70 SS bolts through top angle. Drilled and installed 2 bolts to join angles. Note: angles were trimmed and fit prior to achieve desired height/drop in reference to bottom of boat.
IMG_0026.JPG Looking aft
IMG_0019.JPG Side view showing standoff and routing.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I see that you put the wire through your drain plug.

Last edited:

H2O Life

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Yep, I actually had the transducer mounted on a PWC before, used the same plug setup and had no issues. That being said, it didn't leak nearly as much as this boat. I typically pull the other plug on the ramp if its not busy, and let the water drain on the ramp. It gets almost all the water out that way, and by the time I drive home its about all gone.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Right on,

Mounting a transducer on this boat is a nightmare! There is no easy way...

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Similar location for my transducer as well. I'm very happy with the signal. I drilled my only hole above the water line. Used an epoxy transom mount to route the cable up. With the one drain closed, does water pass through the centerline of the boat to the other easily?

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I opted for the Airmar P79 in hull for Garmin 741sx. Works ok but I unknowingly installed it right behind the live well intake. It gets a little interference at speed but works well otherwise. I use the map while up to speed anyhow so for me, no problem.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I just did this yesterday. I wanted to take advantage of the side scan feature using the single supplied transducer on the Garmin chirp 93sv. Not sure if it will work, but will post results... I tapped course threads into my intake grate.
IMG_3735.JPG
IMG_3733.JPG
IMG_3728.JPG

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Uhm, is that directly inline with the jet intake? Interested to hear if you get turbulence interference. Forward, not aft, would have been a better location
From my research I read that you cannot put anything in front of the intake grate. That would interfere w the intake hydraulics...
I was curious to put it here because others have had success mounting the transducer closer to the keel without any problems. If it doesn't work, back to the drawing board. But at least I can create a post on not what to do. It only cost me a precious day off. :)

I really want to get this side scan working w 1 transducer. It would be sweet if it works.

H2O Life

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I agree that thru-hull is best, but this is tricky because of the side scan feature. Angles stink... You would need 2, one for either side to do it perfectly. $$$ That's like $1200 in just transducers plus a unit to make it work.

I got this 9" garmin chirp w sidescan for $800. It would be nice to get it to work for short money.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My puck I made and transducer mount, gives good clear signal all the way to max speed, even though its "to close" to a strake.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My puck I made and transducer mount, gives good clear signal all the way to max speed, even though its "to close" to a strake.
I really liked that idea. Angling the starboard is genius. I bought some 1" starboard and was ready to go, but then realized my trailer bunk was going to be in the way. (Mine is different than yours). Plus the sidevu would still be obstructed by keel.

I think the strake thing is a guideline. I guess if you you are below the strake, it better than being above the strake (Where the turbulence would be).

Some have mounted their transducers on the bottom of the keel plate like @Grover70 and have had success. You would think there would be turbulence there too.

Probably the worst place to mount a transducer is on a boat.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I debated installing my SideVu sonar on the back of the boat, but I think its stupid really to see a side view of what you just passed.. I wonder if how mine is installed it it would be affected by the keel, does the signal go straight out at a 90degree from the transducer or more of a downward angle?

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Its definitely a downward angle. You position might be ok. I was assuming that the keel would interfere, but who knows...

At first, SideVu wasn't something that was important to me, but it came with the unit and I saw it as a challenge to make it work.

SideVu seems pretty cool though. Check out the youtube videos. It really puts the bottom in perspective to identify objects/structure, etc.
If your going fast... then ya, any of your images are going to be behind the boat. ;)

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I have a sidevu sonar (Garmin 73SV) off my old boat, that was mounted to the trolling motor.. worked great to see side structure as you approached it at trolling speeds... didnt see the point of mounting it on the helm to see what you just passed.

j_shoe99

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I drilled a bunch of holes in my hull yesterday to mount my two side imaging transducers thanks to help from @Grover. I'm putting my trust in 3M 4200. <sigh>

I'm reusing my hummingbird 5" unit from my fishing kayak. When it comes to fishing, I'll never buy a non side imaging unit ever again. Like you say, you scanned bottom as you pass it, you can simply Mark the structure easily, and come back to it later to fish it. Or if you're trolling your lines are still well behind your boat, so you can be aware of a possible upcoming bite.

Attachments

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Looks great!

If Yamaha used silicone on our drain plug fittings, then I think you got nothing to worry about.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Here it is mounted on the plate. It's offset from the intake so I don't notice turbulence. It's also dropped an inch on the seaboard with an opening for the cable to come out. The liquid nails and the epoxy haven't budged an inch with 20 hours of use on the intracoastal and river, full speed, etc.

IMG_1442.JPG

Rich NW Jboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Tonkatoy, have run your boat with the transducer installed, if so how did it work?

Hotreels10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Here it is mounted on the plate. It's offset from the intake so I don't notice turbulence. It's also dropped an inch on the seaboard with an opening for the cable to come out. The liquid nails and the epoxy haven't budged an inch with 20 hours of use on the intracoastal and river, full speed, etc.

View attachment 62431
I'm curious Grover70 to know how your transducer mount has held up over time with use. Did the adhesive hold? Was there any change in the performance of the boat? I was thinking about mounting mine close to keel behind the intake grate but I was concerned about it changing the handling of the boat and the possibility of interference with the transducer readings due to the intake and flow around the keel.