• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fuel Hatch Removal

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've noticed a lot of people have had trouble removing their fuel hatch, so I was a little nervous about removing mine. I think many people try to do this job with the wrong tools and strip or break the screws. Glad to report mine came out with no problems. Here's what I did/used.

1. Sprayed screws with penetrating oil several times. I let the oil sit for 2 days.
2. Used a impact wrench with 3/16 square male pipe plug socket. ***caution*** impact wrenches create a lot of torque. I would not use it to tighten the screws on the hatch. You could drive the screw through the hatch!
3. Drank some coffee with baileys. Still freezing up here:(

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Pretty dirty under the hatch. Looks like I will have to replace the seal.

Also removed my plastic scupper today. I believe it was good but it did crack quite easily during removal. I'm replacing it with a stainless steel one.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm glad to hear it came off ok. Can I ask why you removed the fuel hatch?

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm glad to hear it came off ok. Can I ask why you removed the fuel hatch?
I'm doing some sound proofing. I'm placing some roadkill stinger similar to dynamat on the underside.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That would make sense then. Let us know how it turns out! Hopefully warmer weather is on it's way for all of us.

graham cormack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hi, just wondering where you got the impact bit in pic 2 from? ive been trying to source one but cant get one anywhere in the uk!?,?,
thanks

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
hi, just wondering where you got the impact bit in pic 2 from? ive been trying to source one but cant get one anywhere in the uk!?,?,
thanks
I just saw some on eBay. Maybe they ship over the pond?

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last edited:

graham cormack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hi guys i setup an account and ordered some from lawsons last night and i got an email back saying they dont do overseas, so right now im away to head uo to inverness where there is a decent hardware store who says he might have!!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@graham cormack did you find one yet ? if not start a conversation with me (private message) with your contact info and we will work it out,

graham cormack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hi Scottintexas yes I got off ebay in the US it just arrived last week so havnt had a chance to tackle the bolts yet, I managed to get my steering cable freed of a bit, so I think I will leave this till the winter and tackle it then!!

thanks for offering to get the impact bits for me though, was much appreciated :)

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've noticed a lot of people have had trouble removing their fuel hatch, so I was a little nervous about removing mine. I think many people try to do this job with the wrong tools and strip or break the screws. Glad to report mine came out with no problems. Here's what I did/used.

1. Sprayed screws with penetrating oil several times. I let the oil sit for 2 days.
2. Used a impact wrench with 3/16 square male pipe plug socket. ***caution*** impact wrenches create a lot of torque. I would not use it to tighten the screws on the hatch. You could drive the screw through the hatch!
3. Drank some coffee with baileys. Still freezing up here:(

View attachment 4935View attachment 4936View attachment 4940

Pretty dirty under the hatch. Looks like I will have to replace the seal.

Also removed my plastic scupper today. I believe it was good but it did crack quite easily during removal. I'm replacing it with a stainless steel one.

View attachment 4937

You got lucky getting them all out, I had one bolt so stuck in there I had to drill the head off the bolt, that was after penetrating oil, etc. Tried to use some vice grips to remove the bolt once the hatch was off and I got about 1/4 turn out of it and would not come out.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I read the horror stories and debated on weather i would ever try to pull up my fuel hatch... decided i was gonna man up and make it happen.
20170506_152356.jpg
Most bolts came out easy.... some even seemed loose but they weren't. One gave me a moment of pause.. it came up about one turn then locked down... after all the others were out i decided i was just gonna put the power to it with my impact gun and poof.. out it came... it wobbled though so i dont think it was straight.

1494099277966688335938.jpg
An idea what these blocks are for? Looks like what they used to hold the tank in.. maybe extras?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I read the horror stories and debated on weather i would ever try to pull up my fuel hatch... decided i was gonna man up and make it happen.
View attachment 55384
Most bolts came out easy.... some even seemed loose but they weren't. One gave me a moment of pause.. it came up about one turn then locked down... after all the others were out i decided i was just gonna put the power to it with my impact gun and poof.. out it came... it wobbled though so i dont think it was straight.

View attachment 55385
An idea what these blocks are for? Looks like what they used to hold the tank in.. maybe extras?
Those are pads to isolate the metal tank strap and the poly tank. Usually they are at the top and bottom edges of the tank.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@bronze_10 After cleaning the channels I suggest you consider waxing them to help with future cleaning. Also check your deck drain fitting. I had to silicone mine as it was leaking.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@bronze_10 After cleaning the channels I suggest you consider waxing them to help with future cleaning. Also check your deck drain fitting. I had to silicone mine as it was leaking.
Rgr... i pulled it up... took pics and set the cover back down... the wife is out of town.. ill wait for her to return to clean it.. lol

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
View attachment 55384

View attachment 55385
Yup they are just extras from wedging in the tank.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
View attachment 55384

View attachment 55385
Glad you had it easy! I found mine had corroded to the point my fiberglass was screwed up. Now i am drilling the screws out, over drilling to clear it all out, and epoxying new nuts in before putting my hatch back on top, which still needs a little tlc with the giberglass on the backside.
Count your blessings!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad you had it easy! I found mine had corroded to the point my fiberglass was screwed up. Now i am drilling the screws out, over drilling to clear it all out, and epoxying new nuts in before putting my hatch back on top, which still needs a little tlc with the giberglass on the backside.
Count your blessings!
Oh i am... i was fully prepaired for the normal nightmare...