• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fuel in Oil - 05... intermittent.

DeathBySanity

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Soooo...*UPDATE* ... *Not* bad ecu (4/4/21 then on 5/21/21 confirmed the ECU was bad)?

I think I have a bad ECU (not any more, but reasons still valid). Reason being is 1. there is fuel in starboard engine. 2. The boat runs purrrrfect and then it doesn't. After 15-20 minutes of being under load, the boats RPMs go crazy. Good thing I bought this boat a 3 weeks ago and just mounted a tower with a sick bimini, an had her serviced to now buy a ECU rant over lol.

I am going to swap ecu's to see if the issue moves motors to confirm. Is there any way to confirm this with the YDS before, or is swapping them the best route?

Update***
YDS does not show any thrown codes.

4/4/21 - Swapped ECUs and issue did not move to port it remained in starboard engine assumption is ECU = Good

Took laptop with YDS cable out to diagnose and found out starboard an port have different connectors... and I guess I had the port connector, so no new data.

4/11/21 - I did disconnect the temp sensors from the boat to see if I had an over temp issue...Specifically, the starboard engine was at a solid 98 degrees (using a temp gun) before the issue kicked me in the groin again! When it did, I disconnected the temp sensors (green and blue connectors in the front an back of engine) to get rid of the nagging issue of a potential bad over temp cut off switch, and the issue laughed at me and said "that wasn't it peasant."

Being master a master boat technician as I have owned a boat for 10+ minutes and completed an oil change, I swapped out fuel pumps to eliminate insufficient fuel pressure as an issue. I know this does not address the fuel in oil issue, but I may be chasing two separate issues... Any logic to this?

4/18/21 - Okay update # lost track. I got the YDS hooked up and the issue never showed itself :banghead:... While stationary, I performed the injector test. It passed with flying colors on injectors 2-4, but I didn't hear any clicking on #1. This would explain the fuel smell in the oil, but still does not help with the intermittent issue. I plan to pull the throttle body finally and see if it is a computer issue, or if it is an injector issue (swapping injectors and performing the fuel pump pressurizing test & firing the injectors). Getting there, just not as fast as I would like.
@Beachbummer, I have all the tools in the boat to swap coil packs now. If I get the issue, I will YDS the boat to get the graph, and then I will swap the packs to see if it swaps sides.

5/1/21 - Had issue and captured YDS see link below for the CSV files. While on water swapped the coil packs from port to starboard. Boat ran pretty bad.

5/9/21 - Swapped ECU and noticed my bad one was modded/repaired. See pic in the post I made on 5/10/21. Going to test all injectors and spark out the coil packs.

5/21/21- Hooked up spark tester on both starboard and port engines; all 8 cylinders good to go. Pulled fuel rail on starboard engine to ohm out the injectors. All injectors tested out at 12.3 -12.5 on starboard. But while I was digging the injectors out, I found one heck of a surprise! See pic below. 20210523_111343.jpg
Yes, that is some crazy engineering, wiring injector 1 to injector 2. So while I had an ECU issue with injector one, someone thought it was a good idea to wire them together so they both fire at the same time (possibly to overcome an injector .
So I clipped the wire, installed the injectors and the fuel rail. They all seemed to fire, since the bad ECU was moved to port (comparing to the test performed on 4/18/21). At this point I was relieved and stressed about the wiring so I only did the YDS injector test on port side. Injectors 2 and 4 would fire, 1 and 3 would not. This confirmed the ECU being bad since I just swapped them. Finally, I confirmed I had a bad ECU. I then ordered a new ECU.

5/28/21 - Took off port side fuel rail, tested all injectors. Injector 2 ohm'd out at 18 so I replaced it. I also replaced the ECU. So everything fired up appropriately and seemed to run just great. Then a few hours later when I tried to start the starboard engine, it did not want to start. after 5 min of trying to crank it, bam... it worked like nothing ever happened. I think I am fighting a new issue now. Any ideas?

Jonathan

Video of RPMs flaking out - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NnRDYexW5tO9MuVpY74sJL4ci36k99af/view?usp=sharing
CSV YDS files - YDIS Runs - Google Drive

Last edited:

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Definitely, run the YDS first!

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
change the spark plugs

DeathBySanity

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
change the spark plugs
Spark plugs were already changed. I also would think the issue would occur all the time and not be an intermittent issue. Thanks for the suggestion though.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are numerous tests for the ignition system components in the service manual. Could be a loose injector connection, or a coil that changes resistance as the motor heats up.

DeathBySanity

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are numerous tests for the ignition system components in the service manual. Could be a loose injector connection, or a coil that changes resistance as the motor heats up.
What tests can I do?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have found that checking electrical connections is a good place to start. Do have any service history of the boat, either by the previous owner or a shop?

DeathBySanity

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have found that checking electrical connections is a good place to start. Do have any service history of the boat, either by the previous owner or a shop?
No History. I had a old code of camshaft position sensor and intake position sensor. swapped the CAM sensor already.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fuel in oil? How much? Seeing an oily sheen in exhaust water is not much but if your oil is thinning and smells like fuel, you have an ECU issue. If so, make sure to ohm all injectors to make sure you dont have a bad injector that can damage the new ecu if you end up replacing it.

The video did not appear to be ECU problem to me. It seems more like a cavitation issue at full speed. Look for loose or missing caulking in jet tunnel and around intake grate, condition of impeller, impeller to housing gap, clean out plug seals. If this rpm fluctuation happens at idle or no wake speed then you may have ecu issue.

Last edited:

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you run YDS again for an update?

DeathBySanity

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fuel in oil? How much? Seeing an oily sheen in exhaust water is not much but if your oil is thinning and smells like fuel, you have an ECU issue. If so, make sure to ohm all injectors to make sure you dont have a bad injector that can damage the new ecu if you end up replacing it.

The video did not appear to be ECU problem to me. It seems more like a cavitation issue at full speed. Look for loose or missing caulking in jet tunnel and around intake grate, condition of impeller, impeller to housing gap, clean out plug seals. If this rpm fluctuation happens at idle or no wake speed then you may have ecu issue.
Fuel in oil? Yes
How much? Don't know, new to the game. This is my first boat.
Seeing an oily sheen in exhaust water is not much but if your oil is thinning and smells like fuel, you have an ECU issue - I believe so.

As for the video, the boat runs fine for 20 minutes, then it acts up. Once it cools down, it runs perfect again. There are no codes thrown either.

DeathBySanity

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you run YDS again for an update?
So before I bought the boat the two codes were in the computer. The dealer cleared them and tested the boat out. No codes were thrown.
Now did I scan it after the issue, yes there are no codes thrown. Is there anything specific I should look for other than thrown codes?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So before I bought the boat the two codes were in the computer. The dealer cleared them and tested the boat out. No codes were thrown.
Now did I scan it after the issue, yes there are no codes thrown. Is there anything specific I should look for other than thrown codes?
I would start by checking the ohms on the injectors to see if they are in factory spec.

DeathBySanity

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

DeathBySanity

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Okay, after a dealer and buddy insisted to swap the ecu, I did. Still the same issue and still on starboard side. Time to run it with YDS, local dealer mechanic says it might be the temp sensor. What's your thoughts?

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fuel in oil? Yes
How much? Don't know, new to the game. This is my first boat.
Seeing an oily sheen in exhaust water is not much but if your oil is thinning and smells like fuel, you have an ECU issue - I believe so.

As for the video, the boat runs fine for 20 minutes, then it acts up. Once it cools down, it runs perfect again. There are no codes thrown either.
You say fuel is in the oil. Is the oil white? Is it really thin but smells like gas? Is the oil level rising? Describe how you know there's fuel in the oil.

DeathBySanity

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The oil was changed, and it ran for about hours. Then it smelled like gas, and maybe slightly thinned. I think it would have been worse if it ran longer.