• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Fuel Tax Refund

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I like sharing this info. This is for Virginia but most boaters in Va have never heard of this refund. 17.5 cents per gallon you can get a rebate after filing with the DMV. I have been doing this for years. The reason for the rebate from the state of Virginia is 17.5 cents of all fuel sales goes towards the Va ROADS.....so vehicles off road gets this rebate. Not much but I like it and makes me feel as if the state didn't rip me off this little bit.

It is easy and you file online. They will audit you so keep receipts. Most Audits are on the first time basis form what I hear. I also do my rebate filing from July 1 - Dec 31 and Jan 1 - June 3o because these are usually when new rules come into play. For instance I think this past July the rate came down a little, of course Va wants their cut....smh

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/apps/ftro/ftro/ftrhome.aspx

Be sure to check your state, you never know. Hope this helps some!

Last edited:
I did it one year and sent in copies of the receipts. They wrote me back and said I needed to send the originals. Double check, but I think that's what you need to do. I never got around the sending them. I wasn't on the boat enough this year to be worth while, but in 6 years boating I only did it the one time. It was over $250 in money I should have gotten back that year. Over the years it sure would have added up.

Oh hell, I'm going to check this out right now but don't have high expectations, the CA legislature has a stunningly good record of screwing its citizens and/or allowing them to get screwed.

Holy shit, ca has a similar program that pays 36 cents per gallon. I wish I kept my receipts from this past season. At least three weekends I bought 100 gallons for the boat and two waverunners. I don't mind don't the paper work for a few decent sized rebates or just one big one at the end of the season.

http://www.sco.ca.gov/ardtax_gas_tax.html

Last edited:
I did it one year and sent in copies of the receipts. They wrote me back and said I needed to send the originals. Double check, but I think that's what you need to do. I never got around the sending them. I wasn't on the boat enough this year to be worth while, but in 6 years boating I only did it the one time. It was over $250 in money I should have gotten back that year. Over the years it sure would have added up.
The process used to be thru the mail. Now you just file online at the site above thru you DMV account if you already have one with your Boat Reg number. It is all just info you enter. But be prepared if they audit you, you will need to scan the receipts and email or send via mail. I file mine per 6 months in envelopes. Just be sure your receipt is only good for the boat fuel tank and not boat and auto or they will audit you. So if you have a 50 gallon tank and you turn in 74 gallons they will assume you goofed and audit.

Holy shit, ca has a similar program that pays 36 cents per gallon. I wish I kept my receipts from this past season. At least three weekends I bought 100 gallons for the boat and two waverunners. I don't mind don't the paper work for a few decent sized rebates or just one big one at the end of the season.

http://www.sco.ca.gov/ardtax_gas_tax.html
yup....I do mine twice a year to make it worth while. :)

@txav8r I thought we went through this at YJB a couple years ago and Texas wasn't allowed? do you remember anything about it?

the link BigN8 added clearly says "motorboats"

I remember that thread @Scottintexas , but I don't remember the outcome. Was it a volume thing? If I remember, it had to be "in excess of" and that was way less than a runabout used. I don't remember to be honest. I don't see the "motorboat" in the link @BigN8 provided, but it still meets the definition it seems. It wouldn't be worthwhile I don't think for me, I only burn about 50-60 gallons a year. If it was $0.30/gal refund, it would amount to about $18 for me.

It was a small amount, that's why I can't remember anymore. I still save my gas dock receipts, but usually thorw them away once I file taxes and forget to turn them in. I just figured I would post the link incase anyone wanted to mess with it or they burned a shitload more gas than me, like you Bimini dudes!

Here's a list of the states that refund tax for recreational boaters. Sadly Florida isn't one of them. But I can't complain, we don't have state income tax to file every year.
http://www.americanboating.org/fueltax.asp

I checked IL several years ago. They said no. It is clearly a case of unlawful taxation. Wish we could all get together and chop off governments hand in our back pocket.

I checked IL several years ago. They said no. It is clearly a case of unlawful taxation. Wish we could all get together and chop off governments hand in our back pocket.
Does anyone know if Marinas get a discount on fuel because they are selling to non road vehicles in Florida? It torques me to see marina fuel 1.00 or more per gallon higher than at a gas station. Even though both are ethanol free.

I haul my ethanol free fuel to the boat in gas cans because I refuse to pay what they want for fuel at the marinas.

Lol, I'll bring the cutting tools.

Does anyone know if Marinas get a discount on fuel because they are selling to non road vehicles in Florida? It torques me to see marina fuel 1.00 or more per gallon higher than at a gas station. Even though both are ethanol free.

I haul my ethanol free fuel to the boat in gas cans because I refuse to pay what they want for fuel at the marinas.
Probably check with your state....Ours in Virginia does cover fuel at marinas because they purchase it the same whether on water or on land they still pay the tax. The Virginia Form asks that question and I put yes and always get the rebate.

On the other portion of the comment. I think they charge more mainly because they have such high risk and have to maintain their tanks to not leak and have to replace more frequent than a fuel station on land.....so I don't mind....but I do pull my boat out to fuel up and wash the hull since I leave it in 99% of April - Sept.....make my kids earn their keep....scrub or walk the plank.

There is no road tax on marina fuel in Florida. Their prices are higher to compensate higher insurance costs (tank next to waterways) and convenience

There is no road tax on marina fuel in Florida. Their prices are higher to compensate higher insurance costs (tank next to waterways) and convenience

Some call it convenience, others say it's gouging because if a boat takes a larger amount than one can carry in cans, they have no other choice. Doesn't affect me I carry it because I'm a cheapskate.

This is great, I never new this was an option. I just checked out the on line form and found out that every time I pull into a gas station in VA and fill up the 50 gal boat tank the state is buying the first 6 pack of beer. 50gal of gas gets me $5.55 refund. that is about a 6pack every time I fill the boat. :thumbsup:

I did this last year. I submitted $1500+ worth of receipts and got back a measly $12.
Needless to say - I won't be doing it again - it wasn't worth my trouble.

$12? The reimbursement rate must by terrible in CT. Here in CA it is 36 cents per gallon through June of 2015.

Back