• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fuel type used????

tomfoolery

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
What grade fuel and or additive are you using?
87 / 91 / 93?

Jr15g

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
87 / 89

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would use what the manufacturer recommends. You are wasting money otherwise.

tomfoolery

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
I have read on Scarab forum that 89 was ok for 250hp jet even tho fill able says 91+.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Use what the manufacturer recommends. It's mostly based on compression ratio. Higher ratios (or forced induction) need higher octane to prevent detonation.

Jmod86

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
That was one of my questions before I bought the boat. The sales man told me it takes reg 87 but should use a ethanol additive. I haven't picked the boat up yet (3 more days!) so I haven't been able to read the books on what rotax recommends. Anyone with the boat should chim in soon, Hopefully

genwrx

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I'm running shell 93, curious as to others thoughts...my salesman didn't seem to knowledgeable on it. My WRX STi is runs way better with 93 than if I have to use anything less, so my current thinking is if it's boosted with a supercharger or turbo charger, I'm gonna use 93

Devin Jensen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I use the highest they have (usually 93) with my ar192... i figured it can only help out performance and long term reliability

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
almost 10 years on the cheapest 87 octane pump gas with ethanol. 87 is all Yamaha recommends. not that i am a fan of ethanol just do not have other options. Runs great and never a stumble. Put her away in the winter with StaBil and a full tank of gas. knock on wood :)

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
93 pump gas
Non ethanol when available.

ravi4l

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
89 in everything i own expt Lotus and Bikes lol

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I run the lowest I can get that doesn't have ethanol. Unfortunately for me, that usually means 91 ("Premium") at my local station. I found a place that has non-ethanol mid-grade but I wouldn't be able to pull in there without completely blocking off his driveway.

My #1 rule is "No ethanol in the Boat." I think I've had to break that rule one time in 7 seasons - and then I added Sta-Bil even though I was planning to burn most of it off that day.

I know a lot of folks don't have a choice, but if you can avoid ethanol you should.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I use the highest they have (usually 93) with my ar192... i figured it can only help out performance and long term reliability
It's a common misconception that premium fuel is better for the fuel system, not true at all. Also, the naturally aspirated engines are designed for low octane fuel. You're likely spending money you don't have to with no benefit. Spend that money on the extra it costs for non ethanol fuel if you can get it. If not make sure you're using an additive for ethanol fuel like star tron or stabil for ethanol.

If you can't get top tier fuel then use a good additive for cleaning the fuel system like the chevron additive or seafoam every few tanks.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
For Rotax 250 ECT engine, 91+ w E10 will be better than running 87 ethanol free.
You will definitely see more rpm out of your engine, especially in the heat of the summer.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you're using 91 or 93 it isn't E10. More like E1. That's why the pump says "up to 10%".

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a common misconception that premium fuel is better for the fuel system, not true at all. Also, the naturally aspirated engines are designed for low octane fuel. You're likely spending money you don't have to with no benefit. Spend that money on the extra it costs for non ethanol fuel if you can get it. If not make sure you're using an additive for ethanol fuel like star tron or stabil for ethanol.

If you can't get top tier fuel then use a good additive for cleaning the fuel system like the chevron additive or seafoam every few tanks.
If you're using 91 or 93 it isn't E10. More like E1. That's why the pump says "up to 10%".
Both good advice, actually!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Can't look it up right now, but I believe it is a fact that the MR1s and 1.8ls N/A engines will run somewhat FASTER with regular low octane with ethanol. Not necessarily the best thing long term, but without knock sensors they surge on low octane.

I must confess to always using premium 93, and it is always the same station (frequented by import cars running on premium...) :D. I know... it is unnecessary, but what the heck, gas is still so cheap.