• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Full or Empty?

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A buddy and I got into a debate this past weekend of winterizing the boat. I have always topped off the tank and added Stabil. He has always run the boat to empty and stored it with as little amount of gas as possible. His claim was the old metal gas tanks did condensate more and that with the metal tanks you had to keep them full. With the new poly tanks this is not the case and what little condensation you do get is very diluted when you fill the tank at the beginning of the season. He also claims the ethanol is to blame for the condensation and that filling the tank with a small void at the top increases the condensate potential.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Metal or poly doesn't matter, it's the water particles in the air space that condense on the tank. Keep it as full as possible during storage.

He's wrong, you're right. Not much else to say.

X3, humid air condenses on all available surfaces and adds moisture. The less surface the less added moisture. Phase separation is another animal, but marine grade stabil prevents phase separation, so it sounds like your good to go to me.

X2 on all previous posts. Historically gas tanks were run dry because there was nothing to keep the fuel from going bad during storage. That's no longer true. I might add that when you run a tank dry you also run the risk of suckling up any water and debris at the bottom of the tank. I'm not sure about Yamaha but most engine manufacturer's warn against running your tank dry for that very reason.

Thanks. I thought I was correct but hey, I've been wrong before. I'm topping off this weekend while gas is $2.50! Time to air up the trailer tires!!!

definitely Full and of course, use ethanol free if you can.

Full and Stabil!

Metal or poly doesn't matter, it's the water particles in the air space that condense on the tank. Keep it as full as possible during storage.

Full tank 100%...not only does it prevent water as noted here repeatedly...but come launch time, you'll be on the water drinking a beer while he's in line at the pumps.......logic

I usually dump the fuel treatment in my last outing so it's through the whole system. That left me with about a quarter tank of gas. When it's cheap like this i just fill up an extra can or two when i fill and dump it in wifes car, and then the boat. Usually have to stop doing that mid winter

I was also under the impression to keep it full, but my dealer recommends keeping it low.
So that's what I did. Also stored it indoors.

The good news is so many here KNOW the CORRECT answer !
FULL- to the BRIM ==> and Use Sta-Bil - Hopefully the BLUE MARINE Sta-Bil - Only the BLUE MARINE Sta-Bil treats Ethanol !@

Get it cheapest HERE ..........
http://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-22240-Marine-Fuel-Stabilizer/dp/B001CAW2DK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415318441&sr=8-2&keywords=Stabil

Many well-meaning dealers, friends, so-called experts get this totally WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!

Keep that tank completely full ! And Good Luck to ya !
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

PS - By the way, using Sta-Bil, and fuel with ethanol, is still CHEAPER than buying Ethanol-free fuel !@

If you use ethanol free fuel and store in a cold climate I would of thought you wouldn't get any condensation?

It's all about the dew point. You can have condensation down to freezing.

Condensation is totally different than phase separation that happens in ethanized fuels. Any fuel, ethanized or non, are exposed to condensation. Phase separation only happens in ethanol additive fuels. You simply have to guard against both. Marine grade stabil does that. But nothing removes water well. So preventing condensation on surfaces in the fuel system is the best approach to that.

My Yamaha tech Never has me fill the tank. He adds stabilizer and some other additives and thats it. We run it to warm the oil for oil change, he fogs it and I say good bye. Been doing my boats like that since the 90s and dont have any issues come spring. Do the same thing with my Jet ski's and all is good.

Last year I filled my tank up to the top (accidently). When the weather warmed up in the spring the gas expanded and ran down the side of my boat, staining my boat and ruining some stickers in the process.

Get your tank close to full, but not 100% full....

Last year I filled my tank up to the top (accidently). When the weather warmed up in the spring the gas expanded and ran down the side of my boat, staining my boat and ruining some stickers in the process.

Get your tank close to full, but not 100% full....
This is excellent advise. If you buy cd gas and then it expands, a number of
Folks have experienced this from the overflow. Just fill the tank, not the 2 gallon hose.

Agreed....do NOT fill to the BRIM. Fill til it clicks off and STOP. I do that, THEN change the oil (which has me run the boat for 5 min/engine) - which makes sure there is no expansion overflow. OR....just get on the water before it warms up!

Back