• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Gadgets that changed the world (according to popular mechanics)

Personally, I kinda think DUCT TAPE shoulda been rated # 1 !!!!!!

And where was the Post-It Note?!

I was going through some trunks in my moms barn about 10 years ago and ran across a popular mechanics magazine from 1947. The big story was vice grip pliers. It was pretty cool looking through that.

I wouldn't put the Roomba in the top 100 and I have one! In fact, I need to put mine on EBAY....useless POS! I would replace it with Velcro! Not sure I recall seeing the Cell phone specifically called out either...

Smartphone was #1. I do love duct tape and the post it but we have to agree on the smartphone unless our kids are usin it. Roomba does "suck". The cat thinks so to. Some day they will perfect it

My dogs would have field day with one of those Roombas...it would be trashed the moment it hit the floor! And I guess technically post it notes aren't really a gadget. Although they have sure help pay my rent!!

I enjoyed reading about all of the gadgets and was surprised about the origins / inventors of quite a few (e.g. Outboard motors, the crescent wrench, dry cell batteries). Thanks for posting the link @4x15mph .

Incidentally I just subscribed to popular mechanics as part of my son's latest school fund raising drive. There is a link in one of the recent issues to this but I don't think there was much more than that, I'd have to look again to be sure.

@Julian ... my bad, kind of thought they were the same thing.

ncidentally I just subscribed to popular mechanics as part of my son's latest school fund raising drive

Do they still publish an actual magazine, or are they online? I used to enjoy reading it....got a link where if I sign up your son's school benefits?

Do they still publish an actual magazine, or are they online? I used to enjoy reading it....got a link where if I sign up your son's school benefits?

@ Julian yes they still publish it. Thanks for the offer but the fund raiser is over, i know because my son hits me up last to make up the difference between what he has and his goal in order to get the prize associated with the revenue goal. Funny thing about this cycle is that I ordered two magazines, popular mechanics and boating (I think thats the name). I got two issues of popular mechanics so far and none of the boating mag.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Back