• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Garage - ideas for organizing

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have seen some really cool garages and workshops with boat storage in mind. I could consider this one day when we have fewer cars (= kids). 3 car garage, full basement (finished) and not even a workbench..... I know

I wanted to get ideas of how others have their garages set up, more specifically organization for tools and spare parts. Any good ideas for screws, bolts, tools, etc and keeping this all organized? What has worked for others?

A few years ago, I bought a bunch of the gladiator cabinets which are nice but sit at the front of the garage meaning no space for that workbench. I also bought some track system for hanging tools which in my book means hanging up anything that needs a spot. Thats where my problem starts. 5 bikes hang from the ceiling, large refrigerator, snowblower, lawnmower, etc. I do have pull out attic stairs where I store other junk and helps a lot. I am pretty sure that could come falling down some day

I expect there are some awesome garage set ups out there - thanks for any ideas and recommendations on cool products

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@4x15mph I share you interest in organizing the garage space, but a this point I've done no execution. There are some incredible pictures/ideas on houzz that have me hankering for an improved garage situation and also wishing for bigger pockets too.

BlackandTan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hope I don't have to turn in a man card, but there are a lot of great garage organization ideas on Pinterest.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hope I don't have to turn in a man card, but there are a lot of great garage organization ideas on Pinterest.
I pintrest a LOT
Cool boats, cars, garage idea, etc. It's pretty cool but I do have to say that it is mostly oriented for women.
I have the problem of too much stuff for a 24x24 garage as well. I really want to make a shop but I moreso need to just make a mobile shop and bring tools to my shop at work that they have said I can use anytime. Problem is there that if I bring a tool there, I shouldn't expect to ever see it again!

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For a start, perimeter shelving that is above head height. Doesn't effect parking or walking but stores an incredible amount of stuff. I store my surfboards using the same same idea, in line with the shelving and above head height. Works great but not fancy enough that I would show a pic. Have some prefab garage type cabinets for a snow ski locker and other crap, with a section of kitchen counter top as a bench. It is not a true workbench, which is in my shop. On thing that stands out in an IKEA shoe cabinet. It has tip out drawers and takes very little room but holds a huge amount of shoes. It you have a wife and kids you KNOW how many shoes you have. Before I started I wish I would have painted the floor. The epoxy paint holds up very well. Cam.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While I'm still working on the rest of the garage , here is the best part of my garage organization: Wakeboard/surfboard storage using adjustable shelf brackets and pipe insulation
20160618_154513.jpg

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Google this: Matt Moreman Garage

Then click pictures at the top of Google. Prepare to be amazed. This guy is a car cleaning fanatic and he has a great YouTube with lots of videos on organizing garage and all of the products that he uses. I dream of having a garage set up like this with all of my car products and everything so organized.

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I totally agree with the overhead shelving. Don't be afraid to get creative! Make your own workbench to fit right where you want it! Here are some pictures of my messy setup. Just a bunch of plywood and 2x4s. It works fine for me! And the workbench has held up pretty well to some serious torquing and beating! I didn't make the storage closet, it was already there when I moved in. It used to have sliding doors but I had to take them off to fit my old boat in there.IMG_0942.JPG IMG_5447.JPG IMG_4415.JPG

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Great topic! My garage used to be so organized I had both our cars in it with no clutter laying around. Little different now unfortunately. I do have my Jeep and motorcycle in the garage, but I'm ready to clean up the rest of the clutter. So...... @BlackandTan and @Speedling ....Pintrest huh.....Might have to check it out.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Google this: Matt Moreman Garage

Then click pictures at the top of Google. Prepare to be amazed. This guy is a car cleaning fanatic and he has a great YouTube with lots of videos on organizing garage and all of the products that he uses. I dream of having a garage set up like this with all of my car products and everything so organized.
That guy has raised the bar! I'm now in super garage envy mode.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Personally I have always preferred open shelves to cabinets, can see what you have where.

Then I like the chromed metal wire shelves sold at Costco and sams club. They come with wheels so you can change your garage layout easily. They hold a lot of weight and are very adjustable

Also if you buy 2 packages, you can make a shelf 3 wide by sharing the middle polls.

And you make 1/2 shelves, 2) 3 foot vs 1) 6 foot tall. Then use the 3 foot shelves for a work bench.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have seen some really cool garages and workshops with boat storage in mind. I could consider this one day when we have fewer cars (= kids). 3 car garage, full basement (finished) and not even a workbench..... I know

I wanted to get ideas of how others have their garages set up, more specifically organization for tools and spare parts. Any good ideas for screws, bolts, tools, etc and keeping this all organized? What has worked for others?

A few years ago, I bought a bunch of the gladiator cabinets which are nice but sit at the front of the garage meaning no space for that workbench. I also bought some track system for hanging tools which in my book means hanging up anything that needs a spot. Thats where my problem starts. 5 bikes hang from the ceiling, large refrigerator, snowblower, lawnmower, etc. I do have pull out attic stairs where I store other junk and helps a lot. I am pretty sure that could come falling down some day

I expect there are some awesome garage set ups out there - thanks for any ideas and recommendations on cool products
I have had cabinets and these days I prefer open storage, here is a picture of my garage after we built the house and finally moved in, first course of business was to get my garage setup the way I wanted.

Dgarage3.jpg

Dgarage2.jpg

Dgarage1.jpg

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last year I got tired of not having an organized garage. So I found a toolbox with table that fits over it and built cabinets to fit around it. Also epoxied the floor. We store paddle and surfboards overhead and I fabricated and mounted a hoist overhead for heavy lifting and loading into the truck.
IMG_9739.JPG IMG_9936.JPG IMG_9940.JPG IMG_9948.JPG

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nice @itsdgm ! Where did you get the paddleboard rack? I need ideas for mine. I have two paddle boards and two surfboards I need to store (other then where they are now).

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice @itsdgm ! Where did you get the paddleboard rack? I need ideas for mine. I have two paddle boards and two surfboards I need to store (other then where they are now).
I just hung it from the ceiling. Using PVC pipe, rope and threaded eye bolts. 3 out of the 4 ends have the role secured through the PVC. The 4th end has a loop that can be easily slipped off to secure the board. I also put a piece of wood inside the PVC to make it more rigid.
IMG_0030.JPG IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0032.JPG

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I like the open shelving with labled bins. Home Depot, Sams Club and the like seem to all sell the same lage heavy duty shelving with a wire deck. Very strong units. Add to that the 27 gallon black and yellow storage bins that home depot and walmart carry along with some lables. Not as clean looking as the closed shelves but cheap, quick, and effective for the volume of storage.

I am juat the opposite of the OP i have a 16 foot long, 32 inch deep basement workbench made from 4x4 and a bottom shelf that is only 24 inches deep to allow the top to overhang it. Everything is crossed braced, the top and shelf are skinned in 3/4 advantec, and the whole thing is anchored to the basment wall with concrete anchors. I also have a detached 2 car garage that I don't park my cars in with another workbench and the large tools. Now for the sad part. I have to cram all of this into a 10x18 third bay in my new house so I am watching this thread.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
High garage ceilings help a LOT!
We have a crap load of Christmas/Halloween decorations, in each corner of my garage opposite of the door I built a 4x8 shelf, just a 2x4 framed piece of plywood with "studs" every 12" or so. The two wall sides are screwed to the wall studs and the corner in the middle is secured to a ceiling joist with a piece of 1" metal that I had lying around. The bottom of the shelf is almost 8' high and I can stack 2 plastic bins on top....lots of crap can be hid up there.

Other than that I use a bunch of wire shelving with the adjustable supports so I can moved them around if needed. Above the garage door opening is a great space for a shelf if you have the height. I also have some hanging shelves that are above the garage door when it is opened, one is just hooks screwed into joists with rope going through pvc, I have a trundle bed out of my camper that I don't use hanging on that and have stuff stored on top of it.

My wife is an organizing freak so I have shelves for everything.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am tired of storing my fake Xmas tree. It is so big that I am tempted to just put it out in the yard and pretend its a real tree. Wonder how it would do under UV light all year. Great ideas here!!! Cam.